2 minutes ago, Modulated said:

PEEEEEEVE: When you have the perfect reaction gif for a poster who decided to nonsense post, and then you go back to finish your edit and ITS GONE.

giphy.gif

There there.

Want me to post a bit of pseudo-Nazi regalia for you? I hate to see you disappointed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Peeve: Stupid people.

I had an interesting Peeve confirmed!

There was a poster a few short months ago, who did not understand posts that had "wry humor" and called us "liars".

I recently saw a comedy bit from SNL where, one comedian said (paraphrasing), "I'm stupid, I don't understand sarcasm - I just think people are lying."  It was spot-on, a reason why people may think "we lie" when we are just making wry statements!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: Cultural appropriation of the symbols from the original Indian culture.  Depending on what you post, I will have no idea if you are a Nazi or a traditional Hindu! 

only one depiction of that symbol is the "bad one". Hopefully people know the difference before they AR stuff 😊

image.jpeg.6ecbe2508c6fafd0da572d09f6a34abd.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Modulated said:

That's what I'm thinking when looking at seraphim for fun stuff to check out.

giphy.gif

The shop N hop was so cluttered with Halloween stuff that it was a lot of the time, hard to find the products vs the decorations..

some were so cluttered that I was like, I'm not even gonna try and would just walk passed the ones that were overdone.....I finally just found myself looking in the list for stores that I knew and tping there, rather than walking it and looking for stores I may not know or hadn't seen in a long time and forgot about.

It felt like skin shopping or seeing the adds for shapes, where the products get so covered up with other things that you can't really see the products..  Some just really overdid things..

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: Stupid people.

I had an interesting Peeve confirmed!

There was a poster a few short months ago, who did not understand posts that had "wry humor" and called us "liars".

I recently saw a comedy bit from SNL where, one comedian said (paraphrasing), "I'm stupid, I don't understand sarcasm - I just think people are lying."  It was spot-on, a reason why people may think "we lie" when we are just making wry statements!

This is actually one of the most common communication issues for autistic people - being unable to infer intended meaning from inference, especially when dry wit or sarcasm (which most people misuse when they actually mean irony) is combined with communicating with strangers.

Pretend you are in an episode of Fringe or Sliders, and you find yourself in an almost identical world, only the social cues and customs vary in a slight, yet meaningful (and frustratingly non-understandable) way.

From our perspective, most people's actions and words don't match, and the shared consciousness y'all seem to have that allows you to give each other leeway in the same ways is something we don't possess. This is why autistic people are often seen as "rigid". We're just trying to make sure we understand the rules, and that once we do, and we know that you do, we all act like we're on the same page.

So I guess my pet peeve is people thinking that not getting sarcasm makes someone a moron. I have a degree in physics. At one time I spoke fluent German, which I learned in the oberstufe at a gymnasium (a type of school, not a fitness center) in Germany.

I might not be able to understand everyone's bon mots, and I have trouble spelling words backwards in my head, but  I can do differential equations, read Der Spiegel, and maintain my life in a sea of billions of people who believe the definitions of words are loose guidelines at best. (No, Sheila. You did not just "literally" fall over laughing.)

I'm no Einstein, but I do OK.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, SeattleChris said:

This is actually one of the most common communication issues for autistic people - being unable to infer intended meaning from inference, especially when dry wit or sarcasm (which most people misuse when they actually mean irony) is combined with communicating with strangers.

Pretend you are in an episode of Fringe or Sliders, and you find yourself in an almost identical world, only the social cues and customs vary in a slight, yet meaningful (and frustratingly non-understandable) way.

From our perspective, most people's actions and words don't match, and the shared consciousness y'all seem to have that allows you to give each other leeway in the same ways is something we don't possess. This is why autistic people are often seen as "rigid". We're just trying to make sure we understand the rules, and that once we do, and we know that you do, we all act like we're on the same page.

So I guess my pet peeve is people thinking that not getting sarcasm makes someone a moron. I have a degree in physics. At one time I spoke fluent German, which I learned in the oberstufe at a gymnasium (a type of school, not a fitness center) in Germany.

I might not be able to understand everyone's bon mots, and I have trouble spelling words backwards in my head, but  I can do differential equations, read Der Spiegel, and maintain my life in a sea of billions of people who believe the definitions of words are loose guidelines at best. (No, Sheila. You did not just "literally" fall over laughing.)

I'm no Einstein, but I do OK.

Assuming it SHOULD be common knowledge that this is a characteristic of people on the Autism spectrum - it was pretty bone-headed of SNL to use it in a skit. The skit overall was about political choices...this one part was thrown in there as a category of "stupid people" (the word "stupid" was used in the skit).

Edited to add: But..even if you didn't "get" sarcasm, thinking people are "lying" seems extreme from my outside perspective.  Usually, using the word "liar" is reserved for extreme cases in today's society.

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

Assuming it SHOULD be common knowledge that this is a characteristic of people on the Autism spectrum - it was pretty bone-headed of SNL to use it in a skit. The skit overall was about political choices...this one part was thrown in there as a category of "stupid people" (the word "stupid" was used in the skit).

Some people maintain it is the ONLY definition, and that all others are co-morbidities. I don't agree, but it's definitely a primary one. It is such a common symptom among verbalizing autistics that it used to have its own diagnosis: Asperger's Syndrome.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, SeattleChris said:

Some people maintain it is the ONLY definition, and that all others are co-morbidities. I don't agree, but it's definitely a primary one. It is such a common symptom among verbalizing autistics that it used to have its own diagnosis: Asperger's Syndrome.

Thanks for educating me, I should have "put 2 and 2 together"!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Thanks for educating me, I should have "put 2 and 2 together"!

No worries. I didn't know a thing about Autism until about two and a half years ago after years of misdiagnoses and confused psychiatrists. It's confusing territory, and everything between "slightly peevish at cocktail parties" and "... and then they went dark and never spoke again" is a grey area indeed. Thanks for caring :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:
7 minutes ago, Charalyne Blackwood said:

Don't people talk about Schadenfreude's cat in physics? *blinks*

That would be Schrodinger's Cat.

Wasn't Schrodinger a Peanuts character? (Keep it going, if possible..)

Edited: Aww!! @Rolig Loonbeat me there!

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Haha 2