14 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

June bugs are my ultimate nightmare bug. Everything about them.

My Room 101 would be attaching a box full of them to my face. "I'LL SAY ANYTHING YOU WANT! I'LL DENOUNCE MY MOTHER! FOR GOD'S SAKE JUST TAKE THESE AWAY!!!!!"

Can humans be considered bugs? They can be such pests. 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Da5id Weatherwax said:

collecting one slap in the middle of your visor at highway speeds on a motorcycle is, I can tell you, absolutely no fun at all. You really feel the impact and the monstrous smear in the center of your vision mandates an immediate and careful  escape onto the shoulder where you can clean off the remains.

Better than being stuck behind a gravel truck. Only time I wear full face is winter.

Got hit in the face with a small rock. Stung like hell but couldn't stop since everyone else in the group started passing the truck. You either grin and bear it or die from it.

Yes, we were on an interstate highway.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Sad 1

Unlike some here, I have no Junebugophobia. In fact, I rather like the big, clumsy creatures.

When I was a kid, my little brother used to tie a thread around their legs and fly them on a tether like a tiny model airplane.

He also went through a phase of building very small model planes and gluing a live housefly to the front to act as their "engine". But I digress.

But I am sad about the June bugs. In the past, we used to see many of them on our porch in the early summer, but in recent years they've become less and less numerous....and this year, there were none at all.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Unlike some here, I have no Junebugophobia. In fact, I rather like the big, clumsy creatures.

When I was a kid, my little brother used to tie a thread around their legs and fly them on a tether like a tiny model airplane.

He also went through a phase of building very small model planes and gluing a live housefly to the front to act as their "engine". But I digress.

But I am sad about the June bugs. In the past, we used to see many of them on our porch in the early summer, but in recent years they've become less and less numerous....and this year, there were none at all.

I never tethered a June bug, but I did make quite a few housefly aeroplanes. Mom wasn't terribly happy about finding "engines" in the freezer, but they're a lot easier to glue down when they're stiff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

We have swarms of Mayflies near Lake Erie every summer that are so large, they show up on radar.

They don't live very long so people at times need shovels to clean up the dead.

https://www.cleveland19.com/2022/06/23/huge-swarm-mayflies-spotted-overnight-over-lake-erie/

While out on a solo flight during the summer I learned to fly, I encountered a swarm of Mayflies over the marsh on the downwind leg of my landing approach. By the time I got through it, I could barely see out the windshield. I had to open the door and peer out the side window to line myself up for final approach.

I encountered the same swarm on the motorcycle on the way home from the airport.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
grammar!
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

9 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Better than being stuck behind a gravel truck. Only time I wear full face is winter.

Got hit in the face with a small rock. Stung like hell but couldn't stop since everyone else in the group started passing the truck. You either grin and bear it or die from it.

Yes, we were on an interstate highway.

Reminds me of a time in my riding days where I was speeding down the highway with my jacket zipped part way down because it was a hot day and something hit my upper breast area that really smarted. I didn't know what it was and decided to pull off the highway to grab some food. I stopped at a submarine shop and while I was standing at the counter to order, I felt something crawling around my waist and back and then down my butt. I started to slap myself trying to stop whatever it was when suddenly I felt a bad stinging sensation from my left ass cheek. After running to the bathroom and pulling my jeans down I was finally able to grab the large bumblebee I had had a head on collision with. 🐝

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Reminds me of a time in my riding days where I was speeding down the highway with my jacket zipped part way down because it was a hot day and something hit my upper breast area that really smarted. I didn't know what it was and decided to pull off the highway to grab some food. I stopped at a submarine shop and while I was standing at the counter to order, I felt something crawling around my waist and back and then down my butt. I started to slap myself trying to stop whatever it was when suddenly I felt a bad stinging sensation from my left ass cheek. After running to the bathroom and pulling my jeans down I was finally able to grab the large bumblebee I had had a head on collision with. 🐝

The durability of bugs constantly amazes me. An hour after combing out my hair after a ride, I'd still sometimes feel something hiking across my scalp, sending me to the shower. Imagine being out for a lazy afternoon flight, and being struck by forested planet going a bazillion miles per hour. Next thing you know, you're in the woods enduring a hurricane. After the calm comes a giant dethatcher, taking away almost everything that's not rooted in the ground, leaving you all alone to climb your way out as a soapy monsoon approaches.

Respect.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Some of the boys used to bring them to class and tether them to their desk with a thumbtack. It took the teacher almost the whole class to figure out where the noise was coming from and find the Junebug. They never really got into trouble for it. Teach had a hard time wiping the grin off her face. She wasn't quite fast enough. 🤭

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Da5id Weatherwax said:

Judging by the commonality of experiences, bugs do seem to be something of a rite of passage for us bikers, dont they :P

My late uncle would scoff at bug stories.

He had an encounter with a goose.*

*To be clear, that's not what made him late.

Added the *
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

My late uncle would scoff at bug stories.

He had an encounter with a goose.

Uffda!

And geese are mean and tough enough that while you're still thinking "WTF was that?" in the ditch the goose would be picking itself up, dusting itself off and comin' for ya...

Edited by Da5id Weatherwax
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Yeah, Jim forgot a time or two as well.

My worst encounter was with that Mayfly swarm on the way home from the airport. They just went on forever. You can only hold your breath, or turn your head, for so long.

spelling
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Krystina Ferraris said:

They actually eat other bugs that can become problematic, for example June bugs but also insects that can attack crops. They are actually really important in a healthy ecosystem 🐝

I didn't want to hear that ☹️

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

After decades away from motorcycling, I recently took one for a two hour ride on I-43.

I do not recommend finger-less bicycle gloves for such trips.

I can be such an idiot.

Summertime, you'll be damned lucky to see me wearing more than half gloves.

4 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Yeah, Jim forgot a time or two as well.

maxresdefault.jpg

You know, I always wondered if there was a connection between the 549 badge he wore and Junior Sample Sales phone number BR 549.

Peeve: Never knowing the answer to some of the questions movies and tv series produce.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Da5id Weatherwax said:

Uffda!

And geese are mean and tough enough that while you're still thinking "WTF was that?" in the ditch the goose would be picking itself up, dusting itself off and comin' for ya...

As I recall his story, he was cruising down a road through Horicon Marsh when a goose took flight across the road in front of him. He swerved toward the shoulder to avoid it, but got hit hard enough it took him out of the seat. He skidded into the weeds and the bike went down the road a bit before doing the same. He was able to get up, recover the bike, and continue on his way. He didn't break anything, nor did he find the goose. But, to emphasize the severity of his injuries he did say "I hurt so bad I called in sick to work the next day." He was the sort of guy who'd go to work on one lung (and sorta did, he was a prodigious smoker).

Let's be happy with our bug stories.

• Like 1