46 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Well, thanks, but I'd never call myself an "alpha" anything. I dislike hierarchies generally, and I really dislike herding people into categories that are about value-judgements rather than merely descriptive.

As Rowan noted, part of the problem is that these kinds of categories are almost invariably gendered. It's interesting that the list she provided including the kind of qualities usually associated with women -- consensus-building, for instance -- while this list does not. In that sense, they reinforce gender stereotypes. I think more useful would be a list that featured the "good" qualities from both lists, and suggested they were desirable in anyone.

As I suggested in my original response, some of these qualities listed here are, I think, negative ones. Intelligence? Intuition? Fearlessness? Well,  yeah, sure, those are good things generally. But I doubt I'd like a woman who was "dominating" or "rarely admits their mistakes" any more than I would a man.

Natural Alpha's rarely do see themselves as alpha because they assume others are mostly like themselves, just like those who are judgemental assume everyone else is also to some degree.

Rowan's list does not differ that much from the one I put up other then some differences in how those alpha characteristics manifest themselves and allowing for some variance for gender. The author even points out that they do not correlate to "And they have nothing to do with toxic masculinity or queen bee syndrome." As per most of the forum responses, I noted most interpreted the male list as being signs of toxic masculinity and yet understood in the proper context, the characteristics are a positive sign for either gender or any in between with some allowances for them to manifest slightly differently per gender.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Arielle Popstar said:

The author even points out that they do not correlate to "And they have nothing to do with toxic masculinity or queen bee syndrome."

It must be true, because it's on the internet!

Pet Peeve: We can quote anything and it must be good for a pet peeve, somehow!

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Alpha male qualities are different than alpha female qualities because we're female.  

https://liveboldandbloom.com/06/personality-types/alpha-female-characteristics

I think if these traits were considered ideal for men as well as for women, that would go a long way to reducing the amount of toxic masculinity in the world.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

No, I'm 5'9". Lost almost 30lb in the last 1.5 years or so.

I'm only 15 lbs over my normal weight and 5 lbs over my personal limit. You're too skinny. 😋

Keep in mind I am over 60 and it's not uncommon for older people to put on a few pounds and not be able to get back to their teenage weight. My extra pounds always disappear in summer. I'm more active in summer.

My peeve: Even gaining 5 lbs is too much!

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I'm only 15 lbs over my normal weight and 5 lbs over my personal limit. You're too skinny. 😋

Keep in mind I am over 60 and it's not uncommon for older people to put on a few pounds and not be able to get back to their teenage weight. My extra pounds always disappear in summer. I'm more active in summer.

My peeve: Even gaining 5 lbs is too much!

I'm 56 and it's also not too uncommon for people to lose weight due to different factors as we age! 

Pet Peeve: Being "underweight" according to some, but also in the best shape of my life!

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 3

I've not seen it in this thread yet, but: a "strong man" (strong personality, strong-willed, etc.) is often respected, but a "strong woman" is "not" (and even often called the "B-word").

But we know the truth.. the truth is out there! On the innerwebs! Because everythang on teh innerwebs is teh true!

Pet peeve: Not knowing what to believe.

Edited by Love Zhaoying

1 hour ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Natural Alpha's rarely do see themselves as alpha because they assume others are mostly like themselves, just like those who are judgemental assume everyone else is also to some degree.

Rowan's list does not differ that much from the one I put up other then some differences in how those alpha characteristics manifest themselves and allowing for some variance for gender. The author even points out that they do not correlate to "And they have nothing to do with toxic masculinity or queen bee syndrome." As per most of the forum responses, I noted most interpreted the male list as being signs of toxic masculinity and yet understood in the proper context, the characteristics are a positive sign for either gender or any in between with some allowances for them to manifest slightly differently per gender.

I'm really not seeing the point of this kind of categorization, though, Arielle. Why do we need to slot people into a hierarchy on the basis of frankly arbitrary and nebulous measurements of difficult-to-define qualities?

So that we can better "order" society? But I don't want to live in a culture where people are valued according to such things. That's literally Brave New World, a fictional culture ruled by "Alphas," and sustained oppressed "Epsilons."

Why not respond to people as individuals, as unique combinations of talents and characteristics? The only reason to "group" people like this that I can see is . . . to better oppress them.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I'm really not seeing the point of this kind of categorization, though, Arielle. Why do we need to slot people into a hierarchy on the basis of frankly arbitrary and nebulous measurements of difficult-to-define qualities?

Perhaps it's a "Pet Peeve"?

@Arielle Popstar- what does your assertions about Alphas have to do with "Pet Peeves"?

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

The only reason to "group" people like this that I can see is . . . to better oppress them.

Ah ... so calling people alphas is like calling people cis-gendered ?

• Confused 1

Peeve : An actual fix from NVidia for Second Life issue was announced yet remained unnoticed :

Fixed Issues in Version 516.59 WHQL

[OpenGL] Artifacts may appear in Second Life when connecting using third party viewers. [3682537]

Edited by Solo Alpha
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Solo Alpha said:

Peeve : An actual fix from NVidia for Second Life issue was announced yet remained unnoticed :

Fixed Issues in Version 516.59 WHQL

[OpenGL] Artifacts may appear in Second Life when connecting using third party viewers. [3682537]

Thanks for announcing it for us! Pet peeves serve a useful Second Life public service!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I'm 56 and it's also not too uncommon for people to lose weight due to different factors as we age! 

Pet Peeve: Being "underweight" according to some, but also in the best shape of my life!

When I am at my ideal weight, people say I'm too skinny. They said the same thing when I weighed over 180lbs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

No more alphas ever anymore.. They all will be going extinct  soon because of the resource gone now as of may of 2021..

No more

Still here .. still called Alpha .. :P

• Haha 3

Seeing the posts about kittens and toilet paper reminded me of a peeve.

Peeve: when a cat chews up the armpits of a t-shirt, taking advantage of their sleeping human's inability to stop them, and ruining the shirt because nobody wants to have to answer questions about why they got all these little holes in all their armpits.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 4

35 minutes ago, PheebyKatz said:

Seeing the posts about kittens and toilet paper reminded me of a peeve.

Peeve: when a cat chews up the armpits of a t-shirt, taking advantage of their sleeping human's inability to stop them, and ruining the shirt because nobody wants to have to answer questions about why they got all these little holes in all their armpits.

One of our cats loved to dive her head into my man's armpits.  Although she was taking her life into her paws there!

• Like 1