Explaining driving in SL to a gamer made me feel old

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 560 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

This is an excellent point. I'll check it out with some of my vehicles. Big if true!

Maybe this calls for political action! Boycotts! Protests! I'M SO EXCITED!!!!

Lol, lemme know because I'm kind of curious now! I don't drive around SL enough to have the foggiest clue how these things work. 

Though, I DO know that if you grab a horse from a horse rezzer at Calas Galadhon, you can absolutely make it twerk with you if you activate a dance while it's attached. Hilarious btw, you should try it.

*just Aya things*

Quick Edit:

2 minutes ago, Quistess Alpha said:

Keybindings in preferences; scripts can only "know about" which movement command you're trying to do (forward back up down left right (turn and strafe), click) not which button you're actually pressing.

Oh, thank you! That answers my question then. ❤️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Though, I DO know that if you grab a horse from a horse rezzer at Calas Galadhon, you can absolutely make it twerk with you if you activate a dance while it's attached. Hilarious btw, you should try it.

*just Aya things*

Everyone needs a hobby.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Quistess Alpha said:

I believe that [Both active] ~Is the default, it just gets 'overriden' by the fact that "Pressing letter keys: Starts local chat" is ~Also default.

At least that's how I remember it, It's been a while since I changed viewer settings form default.

When I was a cub in SL, you pressed the "/" key to open chat, if in another mode.

• Like 1

This reminds me of an issue one of my customers were having with a sword I made like 10 years ago or so. I had stated in the instructions to hold mouse left click and use WASD to utilize the melee animations. Having been doing combat in SL since like 2008 and gaming overall since like 1997 WASD was always the base for movement in computer games (however most MMOs have a mouse option for more streamlined movement. They also have more buttons so freeing up keys for such makes mouse movement far more efficient).

Anyways, last summer a few of my customers left reviews stating that my sword didn't work. So I tested them out and tried them out on a few alts and I had no issues. I eventually met with one of the customers and after about 45 minutes or so it dawned on me to ask what they used for movement. They stated that they used their arrow keys. Luckily the script still works if holding left click and using arrow keys so I ended up changing the instruction to  state to hold left click and use whatever you use for movement to activate the animations. Haven't had any complaints since.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 10/9/2022 at 4:28 PM, Exavor Diesel said:

The vehicle physics in SL are so bad I am really surprised people bother, especially when there's so many games that do it well. The only exception to that is boats, but then boats typically don't handle very well in real life either. 

Check out Deezul and IK bikes? Go to 2RAW and check out a car from the builders there? I used to think like you when all I got was vehicles from the Marketplace (or worse. Maybe where ladies with dogs in purses go to shop). And before I really bought, and bought into, ACS and messed with the variables there. Eye opener. Still very much an amateur in that regard, but man can you ever experiment with that and feel the difference even with a small adjustment.

SL driving physics are actually not bad at all once you get used to it and get the right vehicle. I really can't see what any driving game has to offer compared to it. Dynamic vs. boring static. Ever tried driving in OpenSim, btw? I hope not, it's pretty awful... :)

23 minutes ago, HeathcliffMontague said:

SL driving physics are actually not bad at all once you get used to it and get the right vehicle. I really can't see what any driving game has to offer compared to it. Dynamic vs. boring static. Ever tried driving in OpenSim, btw? I hope not, it's pretty awful... :)

You need to peep Forza Horizon 5 (or 4, even) friend! The views, the weather, the vrooooooooms. 

No but really, driving in SL is okay. I just absolutely loathe sim crossings (and they sure hate me). If I'm in the mood for a relaxing drive, I'd much rather fire up Euro Truck Sim 2 (bad ideas, I can't drive those huge things so my adventure usually ends with me rolling my rig off a cliff the instant I try to turn 🤣) or I'll put put around in a tractor in Farming Simulator 19.

I really, really wanted to get a motorcycle in SL and test driving one around a track felt pretty good, but I can't imagine trying to take it out across regions at those speeds. I've had my wig snatched way too many times just cruising slowly! 

6 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I'm not understanding why this is a debate. Is there some reason that both arrow keys AND WASD can't be default controllers?

You can set your preferences.  I have WASD turned off so I don't go jumping around when my screen has the focus: 

6e30bce70973950df5dd07db91a2d1ad.png

The OP felt old, because a young gamer had no idea the arrow keys moved your avatar. Be like a student driver having no idea that round ring thing in front of them (steering wheel) was used to turn the car.   

WASD became popular in the 90's.  Not all of us were tweens in the 1990's.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, HeathcliffMontague said:

Ever tried driving in OpenSim, btw? I hope not, it's pretty awful... :)

I've had some great driving experiences in OpenSim, depending on the vehicle of course and what physics engine the region is running on.  Some of the grids I have been on have actually been superior to SL due to sim crossings, which are the bane of my experience so often in SL.  The same can be said for sailing, or flying, especially with the the landmines of zero second security orbs out there.  

With that said, I was just driving around in Bellisseria and the sim crossings have been excellent, perhaps SL has fixed a few things since I last tried.  Before, it had gotten so bad that I started to just wear wearable vehicles to explore in, with speed boost huds to get me around a little quicker. It became a pursuit of frustration otherwise, because of how often my region crossings would bug out and I would find myself flung into the air unable to stop myself.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

Some of the grids I have been on have actually been superior to SL due to sim crossings, which are the bane of my experience so often in SL. 

Interesting. Granted, it's been a few (3 maybe?) years since I've tried OpenSim. My experience with vehicles there was that they were sorta back to the very early days compared to SL handling wise. Some were nice looking (folks pretty much admitted that they were copybotted/imported from a freebie model), impossible to control, turning a car was like trying to control an aircraft carrier, bikes and cars flying all over the place even when you were just looking at a bump in the road etc :) Things might have changed.

Edited by HeathcliffMontague

49 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

really, really wanted to get a motorcycle in SL and test driving one around a track felt pretty good, but I can't imagine trying to take it out across regions at those speeds. I've had my wig snatched way too many times just cruising slowly! 

I have a motorcycle, but I find it's too fast to work well on anything but relatively straight stretches of road.

On the other hand, my Vespa works pretty well, and doesn't go fast enough to cause too many time-space singularities when I cross sims.

A bike is even better, but lacks the hip factor.

41 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

You can set your preferences.  I have WASD turned off so I don't go jumping around when my screen has the focus: 

6e30bce70973950df5dd07db91a2d1ad.png

The OP felt old, because a young gamer had no idea the arrow keys moved your avatar. Be like a student driver having no idea that round ring thing in front of them (steering wheel) was used to turn the car.   

I hadn't noticed the preferences options. That makes a lot of this moot: it's very simple to choose one or the other.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I have a motorcycle, but I find it's too fast to work well on anything but relatively straight stretches of road.

On the other hand, my Vespa works pretty well, and doesn't go fast enough to cause too many time-space singularities when I cross sims.

Awwwwwwww Vespas are super cute!!! And now I want to see Roman Holiday again.

You're right, though. I think the motorcycle I tested would've been way too fast to take out on the "open road." On a track, it performed okay, but riding out in the wild might've been a bit blah.

Something without that speed might work far better, I agree, but it's been so long since I've had the patience for vehicles. Every time my friend dragged me onto a boat or whatever for a cruise, I was over it not 2 minutes in. We wound up dancing at the bottom of the ocean, we were flying out of it, we were stuck on something, the lag had us rubberbanding all over the screen, I floated into the sky like Winnie... 😂 Fun for a laugh, but not the most relaxing trips!

giphy.gif

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Here's a nice motorcycle for you.  It even comes with a 'friend'.

DPSideCarMOnsterDark.jpg.7f9273f606e127d122f30872150a3a03.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

I certainly wasn't, fortunately my brain continued to absorb and retain new information long after the first decade or two.

It's interesting to see how some folks view this seemingly innocuous preference for certain key combinations as a divisive generational issue rather than a simple case of different people having different interests.  If you play a lot of fast paced games that require manual camera movement then you're more likely to prefer using one combination, if not then it's understandable that you're more familiar with using a different combination.

I've never really understood the animosity and contempt that some people have for "gamers", especially given that they're as diverse a group of people as you could possibly hope to find and range in age from toddlers to grandmas like Shirley Curry.

• Like 6

I fell in love with Vespas on my first trip to Italy when I was 12, watching immaculate and stylish Italian women on them negotiate the thick traffic with ease and panache. OMG, I wanted to look like them!

That, and probably Fellini films.

Il-Segreto-Blank.thumb.png.947cbf3b33e9fa7d496b4ffe5ee40847.png

The other nice thing about a Vespa is that  you're going slow enough that you can actually see the landscape around you as you travel, and stop to look at interesting stuff (if you're on the mainland, which I usually am).

I haven't tried it since the performance update. I haven't heard anyone suggest that that improved sim crossings, but it must surely have helped a little?

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I haven't heard anyone suggest that that improved sim crossings, but it must surely have helped a little?

I don't know if I have just been lucky today, but I've been driving around in my favorite vehicle, a beetle, and have noticed a significant improvement from the last time I tried about a month or two ago.  After multiple sim crossings, I have yet to be flung off into distant lands.  I have even crossed a few at high speed, and only noticed once where I felt like a rubber band was pulling me back.

smallbug.png.6f41ad10ee8143360027623968c4fb00.png

I was a bit worried when I stumbled across Godzilla though, thankfully he left me alone.

GZ.png.63ef0bb8e189354bfbdfdbb0837cf81d.png

I think he was busy attacking tanks.  

Using WASD may have also helped, Godzilla holds a grudge against people who use arrow keys 😝

Edited by Istelathis
  • Haha 3

That store is fantastic, @Rowan Amore!!!! The tea time trike omg. And the coffee car. AHHH! I need them all.

@Scylla RhiadraThat is a great photo and an adorable Vespa. Grrr, you guys are gonna make me go vehicle shopping, aren't you?!

21 minutes ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

I've never really understood the animosity and contempt that some people have for "gamers", especially given that they're as diverse a group of people as you could possibly hope to find and range in age from toddlers to grandmas like Shirley Curry.

Me either, to be honest. Most of the Twitch streamers I watch are in their 30s and 40s. And if I'm not mistaken, there's a 60something who streams on there, too. Maybe a few.

Oh, and there's Gamer Grandma/Hamako Mori - 92 and something like 559,000 subs on YouTube. She played Ghostwire Tokyo a few months ago. I haven't even played Ghostwire Tokyo!

Edited by Ayashe Ninetails
Clarifyin'
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Me either, to be honest. Most of the Twitch streamers I watch are in their 30s and 40s. And if I'm not mistaken, there's a 60something who streams on there, too. Maybe a few.

Oh, and there's Gamer Grandma/Hamako Mori - 92 and almost 559,000 subs on YouTube. She played Ghostwire Tokyo a few months ago. I haven't even played Ghostwire Tokyo!

Sadly I spend far more time watching other people play games on Twitch than I do playing them myself, it's a lot cheaper when someone else is buying the games and I can get on with more productive things while the streamer does all the "hard work" (not to mention my potato PC wouldn't even run most of the latest titles 😭).

I've squandered about 1500 hours on Skyrim according to Steam but I'd bet that Shirley Curry has forgotten more about the game than I've learned in that time, she's become such a celebrity in the Elder Scrolls community that Bethesda are apparently planning to immortalize her as an NPC in Elder Scrolls 6.

Skyrim Grandma Will Be an NPC in The Elder Scrolls 6

• Like 1

I've been a gamer since 1982. I've never used WASD. Just sayin'.

Heck, my first year in SL I used the touchpad on my laptop for everything, even SL combat.

Boy did people get mad when they found out I didn't even have a mouse and I could kick their butts. XD

As far as vehicles go, I'm kinda biased. My scooter is homemade, has 5 speeds, and beats anything I ever bought. It cost me 11L$ to upload it.

Edited by PheebyKatz

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 560 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.