Explaining driving in SL to a gamer made me feel old

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 559 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 10/10/2022 at 9:25 AM, Charalyne Blackwood said:

The father of fps gaming- DooM! I've been WASD since 1993. Some people here seem to literally hate WASD and all who use it (not you Ayashe).  Use what you want for moving in SL. WASD has a good sized user base,  get a box of condoms and a ladder and get the f*** over it. 

I just downloaded the original Doom off GoG and omg I'm so happy. You probably remember Wolfenstein 3D too, haha. WASD for life. 

25 minutes ago, TimKoul said:

I just downloaded the original Doom off GoG and omg I'm so happy. You probably remember Wolfenstein 3D too, haha. WASD for life. 

If you're looking for a really "retro" gaming experience (and enjoy ASCII art) you could always try the notepad version of Doom 😅

Doom Running In Notepad at 60FPS Is Now a Real Thing

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2022 at 3:01 PM, Love Zhaoying said:

If not default, can you have both arrow keys and WASD "active" at the same time?

Yes, you can have both WASD & arrow keys active at the same time.  I've been doing that since I started in SL & I've been around 9 or 10 years.

• Like 1

I'm a gamer and find SL movement and controls to be incredibly clunky even with WASD movement (compared to games). There is a bit of input delay, precision positioning is difficult, default camera settings are weird, not to mention lag spikes and fps drops even using a decent pc. I often just stand on a sim and cam around, because it's less annoying. I've always been impressed by people who could do combat rp here or racing.

My first video games were first person shooters, strategies and point&click games, and they all had WASD and/or mouse movement. Can't even imagine using arrow keys for moving, should you use a left or right hand for it? I've tried a couple games with movement like that, and couldn't do it -  I'd rather play with a controller then.

13 minutes ago, Sissi Slacker said:

I'm a gamer and find SL movement and controls to be incredibly clunky even with WASD movement (compared to games). There is a bit of input delay, precision positioning is difficult, default camera settings are weird, not to mention lag spikes and fps drops even using a decent pc. I often just stand on a sim and cam around, because it's less annoying. I've always been impressed by people who could do combat rp here or racing.

My first video games were first person shooters, strategies and point&click games, and they all had WASD and/or mouse movement. Can't even imagine using arrow keys for moving, should you use a left or right hand for it? I've tried a couple games with movement like that, and couldn't do it -  I'd rather play with a controller then.

I agree, walking or running down a roadway feels like driving a vehicle on a bumpy road with flat tires. When we fly we never maintain consistant elevation its like forward equals move in z axis as well, that's annoying. I don't know if it's designed to be that way to reduce sickness. I watch a meta tour video and 5 minutes later I have explosive vomiting, for real I blew chunks the other day and felt real sick after had to lay down. I can stay in sl and move around for over 8 hours without feeling sick. 

I did noticed when moving east seems more studdery than moving west. 

3 hours ago, Sissi Slacker said:

There is a bit of input delay, precision positioning is difficult, default camera settings are weird, not to mention lag spikes and fps drops even using a decent pc.

Precision positioning isn't difficult, it's impossible and yes the camera setting is really weird. I don't understand why LL never did anything about that, they even used it for Sansar. It was even worse there since you couldn't even reconfigure it (you can to some degree in SL even though the settings for doing so is well and truly hidden and not very user friendly).

I'm surprised you get lag spikes these days though. I use a game computer most of the time but I also log on every now and then with two almost ten years old "potatoes", a Macbook Pro and a bog standard mid range Lenovo desktop box, and I haven't had any significant lag spikes with either for a long time.

3 hours ago, Sissi Slacker said:

Can't even imagine using arrow keys for moving, should you use a left or right hand for it?

A left or right hand? You mean you have more than one of each? ;)

WASD is for left hand, arrow keys for right hand. I'm fairly ambidextrous and comfortable enough with either so I can't really say if one is objectively better but I do tend towards one or the other depending on the situation. I've never relly thought about it until this thread turned up though.

I was used to arrow keys, so when mouse-aiming became a thing, I just slid the kb a bit to the left and carried on with kb-and-trackball with my left hand retrained to use the arrow keys. It kinda works in a weird way because with the left hand slightly angled that way, a single finger stretch can hit the entire numpad, the pinkie can hit the spacebar and the right control and shift keys are just there under the fingers already, as is the enter key.

ALWAYS trackball rather than mouse, a finger-controlled one rather than thumb-controlled, with a decent sized ball and as many programmable buttons as I can get. The full-speed spin and start incinerating the corridor behind me in multiplayer Doom is so much easier that way. (spin 180 while switching from "run fwd" to "run backward" and start mashing that trigger - other option for the "oh f..." moment when theres somebody on your tail down a corridor and you cant dodge was to point the grenade launcher straight up as you ran for your life and carpet the hallway behind you with boom)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChinRey said:

I'm surprised you get lag spikes these days though.

With the abundance of unoptimized mesh and textures in SL these days, any decently busy sim on high-ultra settings - and there will be lag or at least a noticeable drop in performance even on a gaming rig. If you're used to stable (!) 60 fps and above it feels horrible in motion hence the mentioned standing in one place. My 3060 might not be a high end GPU, but it's also not exactly a potato. Usually it's not the pc's fault, it's SL being Sl.

1 hour ago, ChinRey said:

You mean you have more than one of each?

I should have specified that I meant SL. If you use your right hand on arrows do you switch to mouse every time you have to open your inventory or menus? It just seems so inconvenient for me, but I guess it's a matter of taste and habit. Retro games that have WASD+arrows controls usually have no need for mouse control, so at least it's easy to imagine the process.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 559 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.