Pink Hidden Forum Reply - Why Does Second Life Forum Hide and How To Fix?

Paulsian

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 710 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There are a few keywords which the forums will hold replies for. From what I understand, they are keywords that are known for malicious intent(such as my name and address). 99.9% of the time you shouldn't trip the hold for review filter, but some words which are either obvious troll words, or words which have been used mostly for malicious intent will trip it. 

Word filers on forums have been around for decades. It's past the time when many forums chose not to use the word filter because humans. 

I imagine the reason LL uses the word filter is due to the under 18s that do have access to the forum. That isn't unreasonable if a bit inconvenient to those who aren't used to having to watch what words they use.

Of course, being the humans we are, we sometimes forget in the heat of the moment or when caught up in the excitement (LOL) so in that respect the word filter is a good thing.

I still prefer not to be treated like a child but when others behave that way, what can you do? 🤐

• Like 1

It would not be such a tramatic thing to experience if there were less mystery around it. They have an awesome tool they can modify and use for good and educational purposes.

There is a person behind every account. If you tell us we are bad over and over and over again I don't think that is good for users mental health. 

This might come across as a radical idea but would it be so difficult for moderation to reach out to repeat offenders,  build rapport, and show .010 empathy at the very least? 

Here's example. Moderator: I understand exactly how you feel, I was once new and i'm still learning.

If users feel less like criminals and feel like someone actually cares and is attempting to help, the are likely to be more active in world, learn a trade possibly, spend more $, contribute to the economy and getting friends to join vs. feeling like a criminal and retaliating because of likely a misunderstanding. 

LL is in a very awesome place, they have the power to help people.

random thoughts. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Just to be clear im no way near traumatized by this at all, at this point I don't think anything could traumatize me. 

Recently i've seen more and more user's reactions to having this happen and believe it is causing harm and is why I created this topic, to acknowledge their frustration and confusion with the hope of finding a solution without getting introuble. 

Edited by Paulsian
blah
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I rather suspect that most people are not traumatized by hearing from a moderator, and I sincerely doubt that our mental health is in jeopardy.  Except  for the real "criminals", who probably know that they are doing something that they shouldn't, I doubt that many people feel as if they are being treated as criminals when a mod sends a note either. Reactions vary from person to person, of course. Aside from the times when you might truly disagree with a mod's decision, though, I would guess that the most common reactions are to think, "Ooops! I bumped my nose on that one," or "Oh, geez, officer, I didn't know I was speeding."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

When a mod message show in my inbox: "What the heck did I do now? I thought that I was being 'good'!"

And you are traumatized by that and feel like you've been branded as a criminal?  I thought lions were made of sterner stuff.  🦁 😉

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

When a mod message show in my inbox: "What the heck did I do now? I thought that I was being 'good'!"

I'm not one to tell someone how to run their business, I certainly try (one of the bummers of being a muse can't force action), but I would be like:

Hi Love Zhaoying, Looks like your in a heated debate, this post was flagged for the following reasons: (list reasons). We're not supposed say this maybe you could say it this way? As soon as you update it i'll review and repost it as the latest post so it does not get caught up in limbo on page 5 of 20. because we understand that most of our conversations here are active and it's hard to contribute to a conversation when your post is hidden, maybe over looked by anyone following the topic. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:
15 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

And you are traumatized by that and feel like you've been branded as a criminal?  I thought lions were made of sterner stuff.  🦁 😉

Nope! In part because, a) I'm more likely to get nose-booped due to post count, and b) they're almost always notifications that a post was deleted - but it was because the post I quoted was deleted. 

If it were actually "me" / my post at issue, I'd hopefully not be traumatized but, convinced they're "out to get me"! I haven't had a real issue in a few years.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Paulsian said:

I'm not one to tell someone how to run their business, I certainly try (one of the bummers of being a muse can't force action), but I would be like:

Hi Love Zhaoying, Looks like your in a heated debate, this post was flagged for the following reasons: (list reasons). We're not supposed say this maybe you could say it this way? As soon as you update it i'll review and repost it as the latest post so it does not get caught up in limbo on page 5 of 20. because we understand that most of our conversations here are active and it's hard to contribute to a conversation when your post is hidden, maybe over looked by anyone following the topic. 

First they would need a whole bunch more moderators if you wanted personal messages to be sent to users. Second...this might work for middle school children but as an adult, if I got this message it would irritate TF outta me more so than getting a hidden pink message, most likely because someone use a word that wasn't supposed to be used. 

30 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

First they would need a whole bunch more moderators if you wanted personal messages to be sent to users. Second...this might work for middle school children but as an adult, if I got this message it would irritate TF outta me more so than getting a hidden pink message, most likely because someone use a word that wasn't supposed to be used. 

I completely understand how getting the pink hidden message can be irritating, i've been there and would like to make all user experiences optimal by reducing any irritation in the future. 

If a truly trained customer service professional with the qualities mentioned above had average 15 minutes of one on one with users within an 7.5 hour day that is at least 30 users perday that can be educated and treated like a valued customer vs a problem that must to go away with minimal effort and maximum force. 

That is 30 less problems everyday, 30 less escaliations. There's about 260 work days in a year, approx 7,800 positive resolutions per csr. a team of 5 could positivly influence 39,000 users per year. 

Vs alienating them and creating monsters. 

8 minutes ago, Paulsian said:

Vs alienating them and creating monsters.

Just offhand, how many alienated monsters do you imagine that the moderators have created?  I know you don't feel like one.  You have said as much. There's a lot of difference between being "irritated" by a pink message and being transformed into a monster.  ;) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paulsian said:

seen more and more user's reactions to having this happen and believe it is causing harm

In one thread recently and periodically over the time I've been here.  It's not happening more and more.  You just happened to get one this time and freaked out.  Chill.  If a simple hidden post harms someone, perhaps they shouldn't be on the forums?  Anywhere?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Just offhand, how many alienated monsters do you imagine that the moderators have created?  I know you don't feel like one.  You have said as much. There's a lot of difference between being "irritated" by a pink message and being transformed into a monster.  ;) 

I wonder if any of those who have left and/or "flounced" could be considered "alienated"?

I don't know if they are "monsters". Maybe if their ire was raised so high, they crashed down and rose back up as griefers.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 710 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.