If you use an avatar of a gender you are not, are you good at portraying that gender?

Gopi Passiflora

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 528 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

10 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I have hesitated to reply, but here we go anyway!

A "satisfying" solution to me, would be a slider with "one gender on one end", and "the other gender on the other end".  Too bad that would break compatibility.  Unless they figured out how to do it.

* exiting again *

That just requires LL to add the slider in place of the radio buttons. The backend wouldn't need any changes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

That just requires LL to add the slider in place of the radio buttons. The backend wouldn't need any changes.

Thinking it would need the ability to adjust the skin too as cleavage shading can give the appearance of breasts even when the breast/chest area is flat.

2 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

So where would we add this button, the edit appearance menu, or in the application?  Where did you sign up? Will it show up on our profiles? And what would a non-binary person look like in SL? 

All of these suggestions for nonbinary avatars are very nice and politically correct and all, and I think that people should have choices.

But I can't help but notice that 99% of the avatars in SL are hypersexualized to one end or the other of the spectrum...women with enormous breasts, hips that get stuck in doorways, helium-filled lips, three inch stiletto nails and six inch stiletto heels; men with necks as thick as your average man's thigh, enormous wads of muscle everywhere, and schnockers so long they come out their partners' backs like some reverse Alien parasite.

I suspect that even if LL provides a wider spectrum of (visible) gender markers, most people are not going to gravitate toward the center.

u-shaped-distribution.png

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

All of these suggestions for nonbinary avatars are very nice and politically correct and all, and I think that people should have choices.

But I can't help but notice that 99% of the avatars in SL are hypersexualized to one end or the other of the spectrum...women with enormous breasts, hips that get stuck in doorways, helium-filled lips, three inch stiletto nails and six inch stiletto heels; men with necks as thick as your average man's thigh, enormous wads of muscle everywhere, and schnockers so long they come out their partners' backs like some reverse Alien parasite.

I suspect that even if LL provides a wider spectrum of (visible) gender markers, most people are not going to gravitate toward the center.

u-shaped-distribution.png

But even then, what is the exact look of a person who is non binary? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

I've seen NB people with masculine and/or feminine characteristics. Long hair, short hair, no hair. Make up or bare skin. Pants, skirts, shorts. One may ask what the exact look of a man or woman is. With so many variations in RL and considerably more in SL, can an exact look be narrowed down? We're all people, we look like people.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Charalyne Blackwood said:

One may ask what the exact look of a man or woman is.

This is pretty much exactly what I was about to ask.

The point of a nonbinary body would be to provide more options and greater variation, not provide an "exact" paradigm for anything.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Charalyne Blackwood said:

I've seen NB people with masculine and/or feminine characteristics. Long hair, short hair, no hair. Make up or bare skin. Pants, skirts, shorts. One may ask what the exact look of a man or woman is. With so many variations in RL and considerably more in SL, can an exact look be narrowed down? We're all people, we look like people.

Oh, I know, that is my point. NB doesn't have any real physical characteristics. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

But I can't help but notice that 99% of the avatars in SL are hypersexualized to one end or the other of the spectrum

Well, we're back to the parable of the blind men and the elephant again, perhaps, because this is not my personal experience of SL at all.

And if it is true, then surely there is something good to be said about providing options for those who don't want to go this route? (Although, there is no reason why a nonbinary person can't also be hypersexualized.)

Um ... I'd dearly love an in-between option that allowed one to have enough options ... ... I don't use Human/Humanoid forms for my Andro forms because of the use of a Female Shape/body as my base - it is so much harder to hide certain bodily parts on Human/Humanoid forms ... Even have to use the PG skins (when provided) for my Anthros.

While not ideal, it does the job. Still means I have to be careful what forms I use and such.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

That's why I specifically said "(visible) gender markers"...there are stereotypes, but as you imply, anyone anywhere on the gender spectrum can look like...well, anything.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

That's why I specifically said "(visible) gender markers"...there are stereotypes, but as you imply, anyone anywhere on the gender spectrum can look like...well, anything.

This is certainly true. Similarly, a trans woman can sport a beard and will very possibly still have male genitalia. But in SL, many would want to represent with the morphology associated with biological women.

Your world, your imagination . . . part of the appeal here is being able to remake yourself however you wish, independently of the norm, or what is possibly for them in RL.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

This is certainly true. Similarly, a trans woman can sport a beard and will very possibly still have male genitalia. But in SL, many would want to represent with the morphology associated with biological women.

Your world, your imagination . . . part of the appeal here is being able to remake yourself however you wish, independently of the norm, or what is possibly for them in RL.

I was born male. I cannot deny that, its just that my brain didn't line up with well my body. Anywhosers, I am realistically looking at it and I know for a fact that medically I won't be able to do a transition. And that is my fault, I have no one else to blame. First the orthopedic surgeon gave me ample amount of time and told me, that they wouldn't be able to do anything for me. After a certain amount of time. And I know, that a plastic surgeon would not touch me with a 10 meter pole. That is why I will have to invest in a breastplate. Again this is my fault. But what SL allows me to do, is to express myself for my true self. Until the day I can afford to get that breast plate and have the double ds I have always wanted xD. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

So then they don't buy a beard or male genitalia?

Isn't all this already possible in SL?  Being who you want to be?  Is adding another gender option really going to make that much of a difference?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

Isn't all this already possible in SL?  Being who you want to be?  Is adding another gender option really going to make that much of a difference?

Yes you can, you can buy masculine stuff for your avatar. Heck, they have an androgynous head from Lelutka, called river. And that comes with a male body fitting head and a female body fitting head. But comes with all the same stuff. So Both heads have a beard and facial hair that fits the heads. 

Just now, Rowan Amore said:

I honestly don't know, Rowan, as this isn't an option I'd make use of. It would be interesting to hear from those who identify as non binary who might (or who would not).

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 528 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.