Is there a good translator in Second Life for Hosts/Hostesses to use in clubs?

Athyssa Seafarer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 446 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Having been out of touch with the Hostess and DJ required items to make the job easier, is there a new Translator that works in local chat for Hosts & Hostesses in clubs? The last one I ever used is no longer supported ( again its been years 😔 ).

If someone has any opinions on a good one for many languages I would very much appreciate any help now!!!

Thank you!

Instead of starting a new thread, I'll ask a related question: Is there any way to make Google translation work with SL?

I used to use it. It worked well. It integrated with the viewer. It cost a negligible amount. It quit working several years ago, I think because Google changed something that I didn't understand.

I think the one that I had in world that someone recommended to me, both parties would have to have it from what I remember..

I got it and was like, heck with it I'm using google..  it's probably good for friends that have it to communicate, but not good if you are meeting random people that might not be wearing it..

I don't know if all the inworld ones work like that, I just know  that it was much easier just throwing  google translate in a link in chat or an IM to my alt to get the link so that I could get my internal browser to bring it up.

OR, you could just set media to a prim and have google translate on that.. Or you could make a media on a prim and put it on your screen like a little hud..

What i did was to just try it out was,  and this is only if you don't know how to do this already..

Before anything, make sure Media is enabled in your viewer..

Go to the build tools and make a prim..Shrink it flat with the stretch option in the edit tool, like a tv flat screen ..

Then I shrunk the prim on the sides down to 0.5  on the top and bottom so they didn't eat up my screen.. So it looked like this in the build tools area under Sizes (meters)

X - 0.01000

Y - 0.50000

Z - 0.50000

Then named mine Ceka's google translator. Then took it into my inventory.

Then searched Ceka's google translator in my inventory, Right clicked it and went down to the bottom of the list to, Attach to hud and chose one of the options  to attach it to my screen..

Once it's on screen open the edit tools to size and move it where you want it, where it's comfy for you..

With the edit tools still open and everything where you want it..  In the upper part of the tools you want to select, Select Face then click the prim.. That will select that face of the prim that is facing you on your screen..

Now go to the texture tab to open the tools to the texture window.. Just below the tiny window that say's color there is a button called materials.. Click that and you'll see an option for media.. Click media..

Now below that you will see another button that say's, Choose.. Click that and  at the top of the window that pops up, you can put in any url that you like..

If you put the google translate url in there you will have google translate on your screen and be able to use it as if you were  in your internet browser.

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Quite a few years back, both Google and Microsoft decided to monetize their translation engines, which had been free to use until then. What they did was to start charging a fee for use, although casual users could still access them for free. The fee kicked in if your usage exceeded a certain amount, which was quite generous...several thousand translations per month.

All translators in SL are powered by these engines, mostly Google Translate. This policy shift killed all the free or low cost translators, because they had enough of a user base to exceed the free usage threshold.

Two types of translators still exist. The first is a free-to-use translator, which keeps "under the radar" by limiting use to a small group of people. The translator used by the staff of Caledon Oxbridge University is of this type. The second is a publicly available translator that charges a high enough price to make paying the usage fee practical (or it could be a subscription, but I don't know of anyone using this business model). The Q-Translate device sold on the Marketplace is of this type.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Quite a few years back, both Google and Microsoft decided to monetize their translation engines, which had been free to use until then. What they did was to start charging a fee for use, although casual users could still access them for free. The fee kicked in if your usage exceeded a certain amount, which was quite generous...several thousand translations per month.

All translators in SL are powered by these engines, mostly Google Translate. This policy shift killed all the free or low cost translators, because they had enough of a user base to exceed the free usage threshold.

Two types of translators still exist. The first is a free-to-use translator, which keeps "under the radar" by limiting use to a small group of people. The translator used by the staff of Caledon Oxbridge University is of this type. The second is a publicly available translator that charges a high enough price to make paying the usage fee practical (or it could be a subscription, but I don't know of anyone using this business model). The Q-Translate device sold on the Marketplace is of this type.

That's the one that I have.. I might not have understood how to use it or something.. I gave up on it pretty quick.. hehehe

It looks much more updated than when I had it..

This is the site for that translator.. it sounds like it uses  a few engines, Google, Bing and Yandex..

I might have to update mine and give it a try.. I couldn't even remember the name of it until you said the name and triggered a bell in my head.. hehehehe

I searched my inventory and got nothing until i put in the Q - Translate.. hehehehe

Here is the site for the information on that one.. https://yaiol.blogspot.com/2019/03/q-translator.html

• Like 1

Some years ago, you could sign up for a service with Google. You got a code that you could paste into a window in your browser preferences. Translation occurred on the fly, and was of good quality. It cost me a few dollars per month, never as much as $5.00. Then Google changed something, I couldn't understand how it worked anymore, and could never get it to work again.

Is there anything like this that integrates with the viewer that works now?

Edited by Jennifer Boyle
typo

I’ve used The Q Translator from Imitation of Life for many, many years. It translates local chat but is a HUD that the person in question must own.

The downside? It’s a hefty sum of nearly 1K, but it’s outfitted with so many options and languages.

As a wedding photographer, it was worth it to me as I am frequently hired by couples who don’t speak English, and it offers the ability of two way translation. The translations can be set to local chat, or whispers. That way you can see the translations of what somebody else says, and it doesn’t translate & spam it to the whole parcel. 

That being said, it sounds like you’re looking more for something that you can rez out in the place, so it may be best to have Google translate ready instead. 

1 hour ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

Yes, that's what used to work for me a few years ago.

If you can post step-by-step instructions for making it work currently, I'll be forever in you debt.

avatar menu>preferences>chat>translation

You need to have an appropriate Google, or Bing ID

Edited by Quartz Mole
[redacted]

54 minutes ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

Yes, that's what used to work for me a few years ago.

If you can post step-by-step instructions for making it work currently, I'll be forever in you debt.

Automatic text chat translation

You can set up the Second Life Viewer to automatically translate text chat into the language of your choosing. You must set up an account with Google or Bing to enable text chat translation.  Previously, Google provided free translation services, but this has now ended, and you must establish your own account with Bing or Google which may incur a cost.

Choose Me > Preferences > Chat, then click Translation to display the Chat Translation Settings window.

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

Automatic text chat translation

You can set up the Second Life Viewer to automatically translate text chat into the language of your choosing. You must set up an account with Google or Bing to enable text chat translation.  Previously, Google provided free translation services, but this has now ended, and you must establish your own account with Bing or Google which may incur a cost.

Choose Me > Preferences > Chat, then click Translation to display the Chat Translation Settings window.

my post aboce :)

Thanks, @belindacarson and @Rowan Amore.

Unfortunately, the part that I have to do in the viewer is not the part with which I have trouble. Doing what I need to do on google is the issue. It used to be pretty straightforward for me to get the key that I needed to paste into the viewer. Then, google changed their site, and it became too confusing for me to to do.

31 minutes ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

Thanks, @belindacarson and @Rowan Amore.

Unfortunately, the part that I have to do in the viewer is not the part with which I have trouble. Doing what I need to do on google is the issue. It used to be pretty straightforward for me to get the key that I needed to paste into the viewer. Then, google changed their site, and it became too confusing for me to to do.

well, the only advice that i can offer you, before you get spammed to death by the keyboard warrior who spams without checking the facts first is this:

keep google translate open in a web browser, as I do, and just the old methiod of copy/paste between the viewer, and the website.

[redacted]

Edited by Quartz Mole

• 4 months later...

today the official SL viewer updated and the first sentence was this:

"Don’t speak the same language? You don’t have to! The wonderful Translation services are now updated to be used in IMs and group messaging!"

Can someone explain how to use this feature, especially in group conversations?

I know that there is a translation tab in preferences, from BING and GOOGLE , I would like to understand if this is what this message refers to !!!

I use a translator HUD which works relatively well for open chats but not for group messaging.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nando Yip said:

"Don’t speak the same language? You don’t have to! The wonderful Translation services are now updated to be used in IMs and group messaging!"

I know that there is a translation tab in preferences, from BING and GOOGLE , I would like to understand if this is what this message refers to !!!

I use a translator HUD which works relatively well for open chats but not for group messaging.

I'm gonna have to download that and have a look.. That sounds interesting.

Hopefully it's what it sounds like..:)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nando Yip said:

Heck if i can figure out how to turn it on.. the moment I check the box  the ok button goes grey..

Looks like they want some sort of app ID or something..  This is where I get off the boat, because if it's connecting outside, then I'm gonna wait on it.. I'm trying to cut down on accounts I have on the net, not increase them..  I'm sure it might be fine to use, but I don't trust things on the net right away.. That's been working pretty good for me so far.. hehehehe

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Looks like they want some sort of app ID or something

Yeah, that's how Google/Bing hook you. It's "free" to just type whatever in their search engine and have it translated, but to translate more than just small snippets or integrate it with your program (Secondlife) automatically, you need to pay the piper.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

It has been awhile since I looked at Google's and Bing's translation services and what they would cost if I used them with SL. When I did consider it, I looked at all the text I generate in a year. I generally clean up my chat logs once a year. I take every thing in the log folder and put it in a 2022, or whatever year, folder. So I can easily do an analysis of my chat habits. At the time I was no where near the Google and Bing use limits for free translation.

You can check to see how chatty your are. Look in the Viewer's logs. You'll find them in C:\Users\[Win_user_ID]\AppData\Roaming\[viewer_name]\[SL_User_ID]\ and sort by TYPE and examine all the files of extent .TXT. To figure out how many words you typed look at the file sizes. It is possible to export this information to a file that can be imported to Excel using the command window and the DIR command. The total Bytes of disk space used by the files is roughly equivalent to the number of characters in the files. You can divide that by 5 + 1 (or 6, five is the average size of an English word plus one for a space-character). You then have the number of words you typed in a year or whatever period you are looking at.

I doubt anyone will actually exceed the Bing & Google limits for free translation even if you translated every word you type in SL, which I am pretty sure no one does. So, you are essentially using a free service... if you don't count being watched for marketing opportunities.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 446 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.