Is Lara "done"?

angelikiinha

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 564 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone!

After a long time away, I'm amazed at new bodies like the eBody Reborn and those deformers that look so good. I was aware of Legacy and Kupra and those bodies seem to be people's choice at the moment.

As a loyal Maitreya user (since buying a lot of not-so-cheap bodies isn't an option for me), I'm kind of worried about Lara's future. Do you guys know anything about a possible update like they did when BoM was released? Perhaps adding new features like thigh and breast tightening deformers? Or is Lara (and Belleza too, I think) really meant to be cheaper/poorer options?

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

...is the body of choice for the majority of people who wear a feminine mesh body.

Numbers? I have doubt about it – if we are talking about recent selling numbers. I mean, anywhere I look, there is someone wearing Kupra, Legacy and the new eBody.

Of course Maitreya is still huge because of people like me, who bought it ages ago and are still using it.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, angelikiinha said:

Numbers? I have doubt about it – if we are talking about recent selling numbers. I mean, anywhere I look, there is someone wearing Kupra, Legacy and the new eBody.

Of course Maitreya is still huge because of people like me, who bought it ages ago and are still using it.

Do a search for mesh bodies. We've had like 10 threads on the subject in recent memory. 

Honestly, the run of threads about the supposed demise of the Maitreya body is getting suspicious, in the same way the comments denigrating the body when Linden Lab did their mesh body tutorial series were suspicious. 

Edited by Blaise Glendevon
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

There is no "supposed demise". I'm pointing a fact based in what I used to see years ago: Maitreya is not that "first choice" brand as before. I'm not saying they are going away, but it's undeniable that Lara have less resources in comparison to pointed new bodies.

I'm more than nothing worried about Maitreya and really wishing it could have an update with new features.

The advantage is being almost half the price of Legacy (that seems terribly overpriced, but that's just my opinion so it doesn't matter) and almost universal compatibility with clothes - main reason I'm still attached to it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, angelikiinha said:

There is no "supposed demise". I'm pointing a fact based in what I used to see years ago: Maitreya is not that "first choice" brand as before. I'm not saying they are going away, but it's undeniable that Lara have less resources in comparison to pointed new bodies.

I'm more than nothing worried about Maitreya and really wishing it could have an update with new features.

The advantage is being almost half the price of Legacy (that seems terribly overpriced, but that's just my opinion so it doesn't matter) and almost universal compatibility with clothes - main reason I'm still attached to it.

What new features could you want? It's bento, BOM compatible, it has the best compromise between BOM and Onion Layers for people who prefer the old appliers. The neck fix to adapt to Universal Neck works just fine. It has all the discrete materials and effects toggles a person could want. There's even two more feet positions than when the body launched. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, angelikiinha said:

It's in my first post in this thread. I hope you actually read it and didn't get upset and give up on the paragraph because my opinion was "suspicious" :D 

The squishy thigh add-ons are from a third party, a separate store that released a version for Lara as well. There are several chest options, both from Maitreya (Petite and Flat) and third parties (V-Tech) that meet the needs of people who like this shape.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

What new features could you want? It's bento, BOM compatible, it has the best compromise between BOM and Onion Layers for people who prefer the old appliers. The neck fix to adapt to Universal Neck works just fine. It has all the discrete materials and effects toggles a person could want. There's even two more feet positions than when the body launched. 

Pretty much this. I'm in the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" camp. I've been using Maitreya since 2015, and see no reason to jump ship. Plus, let's not forget that everyone and their dog makes stuff for Maitreya.

Edited by SlammedSam
Added on the bit about how everyone makes stuff for Maitreya.
  • Like 12

Just now, SlammedSam said:

Pretty much this. I'm in the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" camp. I've been using Maitreya since 2015, and see no reason to jump ship.

The complaints I do have (the spaghetti arms and shoulders) would need fixes that broke 7 years of clothes - and are, therefore, not worth it. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, SlammedSam said:

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

That pretty much sums up Maitreya as a whole. They are a brand that has achieved high enough quality and features with their product that they don't have the need to add new feature and draw more customers. When we hear Maitreya we all know what they are all about what they offer.

When it comes to anatomically correctness in mesh bodies which I am certain many of us strife for, specially in photography, Maitreya and Legacy are on the top of the list. In my opinion the rise of Kupra and Reborn in my opinion is likely due to body stereotypes and acceptance nowadays. People "like" thick and wide hipped girls. Some of those body users likely relate themselves with terms of body shape and that's why they choose the brands. Some pick them to enhance their perspective on curvy or hourglass shapes to a point where it becomes unrealistic.

I don't mean to offend anyone but for me personally Kupra body users look like balloon animals. :D

• Like 16
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2

Sentiment is such an intriguing concept to me. On a base level, Maitreya is the de facto market leader by a wide margin. It has got years of clothing, skin and - well - everything support. It's affordable, wide spread and compatible. 

From that view it's absurd to speak of it being done. However there's an interesting phenomenon: It might be suffering from success, where it has become the standard to differentiate from. Both for creators and users. For example, the user survey shows Kupra at below 4% market penetration.

It sure doesn't feel that low to me. However! It stands out. Draws attention. It's different from all the Laras and as a result it seems to be everywhere.

I daresay there's also a cultural effect in that there's some animosity between slim/sporty and thick avatars. It's even a conversation starter some try, where people tell me they really appreciate my avatar because they've had enough of overweight women "everywhere". Meanwhile I sit there going "dude, why you gotta put others down?". Talk about red flags.

So anyways there seems to be a growing sentiment that Maitreya is old and deprecated. It doesn't have to be rooted in fact and so far I'd say it's just perception. But the funny thing about perception is that if this idea spreads, if it becomes public sentiment, then more and more people will look to other mesh bodies.

• Like 13

7 hours ago, angelikiinha said:

Yes we are still using it. Demise? Not anytime soon. Per the stats @Rowan Amore shared above, the body is 650% more popular in use than the next female body.

It's not going anywhere, anytime soon.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Charalyne Blackwood said:

This. The whole "Tyrannosaurus Sex" look is getting bizarre.

Double this. I was at Exhale recently and the number of blank faced, T-rex armed babygirls was both stupifying and one of the silliest human avatar looks I run across. As an artist, I dislike a lot of exaggerated human looks and the general same-ness of some looks (one more male hipster beard and side brush cut .. ugh), but do whatever floats your boat, but that look verges on comically laughable to me.

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 10
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

Double this. I was at Exhale recently and the number of blank faced, T-rex armed babygirls was both stupifying and one of the silliest human avatar looks I run across. As an artist, I dislike a lot of exaggerated human looks and the general same-ness of some looks (one more male hipster beard and side brush cut .. ugh), but do whatever floats your boat, but that look verges on comically laughable to me.

I tried to make my avatar as close to my ideal shape as possible. She's actually taller than i am RL. I know not all humans are identical, but I'm seeing some scary dysmorphic shapes emerging.

• Like 9

23 minutes ago, Katherine Heartsong said:
2 hours ago, Charalyne Blackwood said:

This. The whole "Tyrannosaurus Sex" look is getting bizarre.

Do the T-Rex grrls lay eggs, or give "live birth"?

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

I have been vocal about Maitreya's restrictive dev kit process, but honestly the Lara body is  ubiquitous.  That alone is nothing to sneeze at. The sheer amount of content available for it makes it a good buy for new players even now.

I think folks have been tricked into thinking that if a body is not constantly sending out updates that there must be something fundamentally wrong with it, its not the case IMO. The body works very well and is easy to use. Those 2 things are very important.

• Like 12

The one thing Maitreya could do in an update, aside from those things that would break current content, is to include a version of the body that if not mod, has no alpha HUD and uses alpha layers exclusively.  Quite a few stores are now including those with their clothing.  Something I'd prefer over the auto-alpha function some use.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

The one thing Maitreya could do in an update, aside from those things that would break current content, is to include a version of the body that if not mod, has no alpha HUD and uses alpha layers exclusively.  Quite a few stores are now including those with their clothing.  Something I'd prefer over the auto-alpha function some use.

Agreed, but there are a few creators, even top name ones like ValentinaE, where the alpha included with the clothing items misses the mark by a bit. There's two VE dresses I own, for example, that take too much off at the leg at the knee, and where I always need to go back in an manually turn back on one segment higher of leg. No idea why this is the case. And one well-known shop? The alpha remains "on" even after I select to "remove from outfit" the piece of clothing in question (a pair of shorts).

But generally, yes. I'd love it if the clothes themselves hid your body where needed, properly. I do enjoy that functionality a lot.

• Like 5

Lara was my first mesh body. I've demo'd others. None cut it for me. Legacy I find I just don't like the legs/ ankles/feet. I've tried so hard to like Legacy, but I can cope with Laras slight shoulder shape issue way better than Legacys legs. 

I have friends who take the opposite view.

All my alts have Lara, and they are grateful.

Edited by BelindaN
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Do the T-Rex grrls lay eggs, or give "live birth"?

Not sure they do either.

Their main activities seem to include standing solo and widely separated around the entire perimeter of the dance floor, blowing bubble gum/drinking a latte/smoking/some combo of all of the above, batting eyelashes large enough to kill a chicken, seeing how tightly those silly thigh strap things can press into their flesh, and letting their tiny hands and lower arms float into their ample bosoms.

And I counted 18 of them there at one point yesterday. Wait, could they all just be alts of @Madelaine McMasters ?

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 2
  • Haha 11

10 minutes ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

Agreed, but there are a few creators, even top name ones like ValentinaE, where the alpha included with the clothing items misses the mark by a bit. There's two VE dresses I own, for example, that take too much off at the leg at the knee, and where I always need to go back in an manually turn back on one segment higher of leg. No idea why this is the case. And one well-known shop? The alpha remains "on" even after I select to "remove from outfit" the piece of clothing in question (a pair of shorts).

But generally, yes. I'd love it if the clothes themselves hid your body where needed, properly. I do enjoy that functionality a lot.

I've picked up a few packs of alphas to use when one isn't included with an outfit.   

Yeah, there's one store I do buy from often that hasn't quite figured out how to undo the auto alpha function when you take something off.   That reminds me, I've been meaning to drop them a notecard about that.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

Not sure they do either.

Their main activities seem to include standing solo and widely separated around the entire perimeter of the dance floor, blowing bubble gum/drinking a latte/smoking/some combo of all of the above, batting eyelashes large enough to kill a chicken, seeing how tightly those silly thigh strap things can press into their flesh, and letting their tiny hands and lower arms float into their ample bosoms.

And I counted 18 of them there at one point yesterday. Wait, could they all just be alts of @Madelaine McMasters ?

Wow. Judgy much? I am sure your avatar is the epitome of perfection right? Why is the concept of just simply letting others do their thing and not judging them soooo hard for people? Damn. 

• Like 9

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 564 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.