Mesh Head & Body Stats (Round 4)

Lucia Nightfire

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 822 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It's been over 6 months since my last report. Time for another update!

Top 300 mesh heads with 254,275 unique wearers (up from 136,093 unique wearers) :

iSkXK4W.png

Things of interest this round include:

1. LeLutka - Avalon jumped from #11 to #5
  2. LeLutka - Kaya made it to #10 less than a month after release.
  3. LeLutka - Logan made it to #22 less than a month after release.

Top 300 mesh bodies with 274,428 unique wearers (up from 145,390 unique wearers) :

vknXvov.png

1. #1 is down 3 points, but still maintains the lion share of the market.
  2. eBody - Reborn makes it to #22 a little over a month after release.
  3. Inithium - Kario makes it to #47 a month after release.
  4. Siddean Munro - Chai & Cinnamon bodies did not place and only a total of 6 & 4 bodies were seen respectively over a month after release.

Caveats:

1. The Kupra body is listed twice due to each having different creators, assuming the original creator later went with a new account to market it.
  2. META - Neo and Akeruka - M09 show up a few times due to forgetting I changed their codes and didn't run data correction on it. It will have to wait until next time.

Top 50 mesh bodies + mesh chest mods:

Ztlyml3.png

Data is mesh body & mesh chest mod followed by count and % of the that mesh body's total count.

So, for example, 6.0% of Maitreya - Lara wearers were also wearing Maitreya - Lara (Petite) : 6189 / 101929 = 6.0%

Only 4.68% of mesh body wearers are wearing a chest mod.

The lists contain mesh heads/bodies from human, anime, furry, feral & robot avatars. Data was collected via "bots" traveling the grid. All manner of venues were visited to limit/reduce theme-skewed data.

Edited by Lucia Nightfire
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 21

Pretty interesting data again. Thanks for sharing.

It also shows how how different some communities in SL are when it comes to such things. For example if someone follows the fashion trends on flickr, then it might look like Reborn took over the mesh body market already. So many requests to rig for it, but when out I do see some people wearing it, but nowhere as much as it seems like based on the social media buzz.

And another example that I observe is how adult-kinks focused community is completely stuck on Maitreya when it comes to female mesh bodies. Simply because just so many "toys and tools" are rigged for it exclusively, so using something else for that crowd means heavily limiting themselves in "toys" variety. Lots and lots of Catwa Catya users are there too, partially because a few things rigged for it, and partially because they are just slowest to update usually. When modern mesh bodies already were most common almost everywhere by the end of 2015/first half of 2016 or so, at such places it was maybe 1/3 on a good day and 1/5 on a bad one.

Will be interesting to see another one in half a year or so you'll have time for that, especially for the bodies. Despite Belleza finally getting an update a lot of creators recently has cut support for it in favor of Reborn (and some did remove Kupra as well), so I expect it would drop even lower then.

Thanks for compiling and sharing this data, @Lucia Nightfire!

Looking at the male body market share, and comparing with the stats from 6 months ago, the changes are surprising IMO.

Apparently Belleza Jake's market share has remained unchanged at 5.5%, despite the new update and the ongoing 50% sale; this is certainly not what I was expecting. Signature Gianni's market share dropped from 9.8% to 8.9%. Inithium Kario has managed to attain 0.1% of the market share so far. Niramyth Aesthetic seems to be holding well, increasing market share from 1.9% to 2.0%, despite Kario's entrance in the market. And Legacy Athletic managed to increase its market share from 2.4% to 2.6%, despite being the most expensive mesh body among the male ones.

I also noticed that the sample size increased from 145K to 274K; I wonder if a larger sample size has impacted the results, or if it is statistically irrelevant (not a statistician here).

• 2 weeks later...

Now that is pretty interesting!

I had the impression Reborn was a bit more popular with how quickly it was picked up by the market. Was this data recorded over a long period or in a couple of days? Reset since the last round, or adding up all data together?

If I had seen this around the Christmas sales I would've grabbed Avalon to try making more items tailored to it with how popular it is. Thanks a lot for posting this!

10 hours ago, Nethya Emor said:

I had the impression Reborn was a bit more popular with how quickly it was picked up by the market.

My assumption is, bodies are less likely to be changed out if a user already has a significant investment already tied up in one body or another, this primarily being in clothing.

A new body is also less likely to be bought while it is still brand new and the clothing market has not caught up to fully supporting it yet.

We're already swimming in an ocean of choices, so takeup of any one body is slower the more choices that are available. The exception being, if a particular body offers something significant over what is currently available and that something significant is or has been in demand.

IMO, Reborn performed pretty good in the time since its release considering its current level of brand awareness/establishment and clothing availability.

It current is sitting at 1355 / 286797 (0.4%). That is additional 245 units seen in under 3 weeks. It is on pace to easily pass eBody - Classic in a month and eventually eBody - Curvy by this summer if the trend continues. In these last 3 weeks, over 12,369 new users with mesh bodies were seen as well. "New" meaning not seen before. I think Christmas had something to do with the influx. 😉

10 hours ago, Nethya Emor said:

Was this data recorded over a long period or in a couple of days? Reset since the last round, or adding up all data together?

This data has been recording for 2 years now, with an increase in detection sources(bots) in the last half year.

Whenever a user is encountered that already has data recorded, that data is updated if it differs from the last reading.

Previous data is maintained so that a "current head/body/add-on worn & previous head/body/add-on worn" compilation can be made.

See:

Since this "current head/body/add-on worn & previous head/body/add-on worn" data can be interpreted more than one way, I wasn't sure if it was useful posting again.

One thing I wanted to do, but forgot was to tally counts for how old data is. 30, 60, 90, 180, 360, 720 days or newer counts.

Each user's record contains a creation time, a last updated time and a last updated with new data time. So age can be tracked.

I'll do this with the next full compile. IDK when that will be.

In the mean time, all other counts update live, so I am finally able to see up-to-date data any time I wish.

I've even thought about making an in-world app that allows the public to get this up-to-date data at any time in an easily readable text/printable web page format.

It is still a consideration, nothing that I am actively working on ATM.

• Thanks 3

On 1/11/2022 at 9:34 AM, Lucia Nightfire said:

Whenever a user is encountered that already has data recorded, that data is updated if it differs from the last reading.

Is that update an add or a replace?  Seems this would be awkward because you wouldn't know if they had made a permanent change to another body, or if the person is using more than one body interchangeable.  Personally I use Isis, Freya and Lara interchangeably, in about equal amounts. So you might seem me wearing Isis today, Lara tomorrow, back to isis the day after, etc.

26 minutes ago, Maitimo said:

Is that update an add or a replace?  Seems this would be awkward because you wouldn't know if they had made a permanent change to another body, or if the person is using more than one body interchangeable.  Personally I use Isis, Freya and Lara interchangeably, in about equal amounts. So you might seem me wearing Isis today, Lara tomorrow, back to isis the day after, etc.

If a bot sees you wearing Isis today and the data in your record showed were last seen wearing Freya, that data is updated(replaced) with Isis.

The count for Freya would be decremented and the count for Isis would be incremented.

If there was no record for you, then a record would be created(added) and only the count for Isis would be incremented.

Updates happen all the time as people cycle between heads and bodies all the time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/23/2021 at 5:45 AM, Lucia Nightfire said:

It's been over 6 months since my last report. Time for another update!

Top 300 mesh heads with 254,275 unique wearers (up from 136,093 unique wearers) :

iSkXK4W.png

1. LeLutka - Avalon jumped from #11 to #5
  2. LeLutka - Kaya made it to #10 less than a month after release.
  3. LeLutka - Logan made it to #22 less than a month after release.

Top 300 mesh bodies with 274,428 unique wearers (up from 145,390 unique wearers) :

vknXvov.png

1. #1 is down 3 points, but still maintains the lion share of the market.
  2. eBody - Reborn makes it to #22 a little over a month after release.
  3. Inithium - Kario makes it to #47 a month after release.
  4. Siddean Munro - Chai & Cinnamon bodies did not place and only a total of 6 & 4 bodies were seen respectively over a month after release.

Caveats:

1. The Kupra body is listed twice due to each having different creators, assuming the original creator later went with a new account to market it.
  2. META - Neo and Akeruka - M09 show up a few times due to forgetting I changed their codes and didn't run data correction on it. It will have to wait until next time.

Top 50 mesh bodies + mesh chest mods:

Ztlyml3.png

Data is mesh body & mesh chest mod followed by count and % of the that mesh body's total count.

So, for example, 6.0% of Maitreya - Lara wearers were also wearing Maitreya - Lara (Petite) : 6189 / 101929 = 6.0%

Only 4.68% of mesh body wearers are wearing a chest mod.

The lists contain mesh heads/bodies from human, anime, furry, feral & robot avatars. Data was collected via "bots" traveling the grid. All manner of venues were visited to limit/reduce theme-skewed data.

Hi Lucia, thanks for doing these stats routinely. It's interesting to see what residents are wearing on an on-going basis. Are you working with creators? With LL? If not, I think it would be a great idea for these stats to be a more universal go-to basis instead of individually run surveys, which are not very accurate.

Is there a way to group these findings based on brand so we can quickly see how they all rank up against each other? Also, out of curiosity, do you have data on classic avis who converted to mesh parts since the last set of stats?

31 minutes ago, Ethereal Cloud said:

Hi Lucia, thanks for doing these stats routinely. It's interesting to see what residents are wearing on an on-going basis. Are you working with creators? With LL? If not, I think it would be a great idea for these stats to be a more universal go-to basis instead of individually run surveys, which are not very accurate.

There is no way to work with LL on this. LL already does their own mesh attachment tracking. They've been doing it ever since aspirations of ArcTan becoming a thing.

LL isn't going to publish any of their stats either.

Working with creators how? Just trusting the sales figures they give me? Setting up tracking in their stores?

There is no way to work with creators without the perception of favoritism or a conflict on interest or causing an imbalance of data from locations that have constant monitoring versus those under random scans, not to mention if it is known that a particular area is being scanned, a concerted effort to game the data could be inacted.

It has to be completely independent, unsuspecting, unsponsored and unsubsidized in all facets.

Yes it isn't fully accurate as I can only report what my bots have encountered and they obviously can't be everywhere all the time, but I feel the data is still "representative" to some degree.

37 minutes ago, Ethereal Cloud said:

Is there a way to group these findings based on brand so we can quickly see how they all rank up against each other?

If you mean how one product from a creator ranks against another product by the same creator, yes, I thought about setting that kind of finer data up at some point.

38 minutes ago, Ethereal Cloud said:

Also, out of curiosity, do you have data on classic avis who converted to mesh parts since the last set of stats?

I currently do not track anything but worn mesh heads, mesh bodies, mesh chest mods and mesh abdomen mods.

System avatars, prim avatars and sculpt avatars are not being tracked.

• Like 2

On 1/12/2022 at 1:22 PM, Lucia Nightfire said:

Working with creators how? Just trusting the sales figures they give me? Setting up tracking in their stores?

No, more like they refer to your stats as the unbiased third-party go to, alleviating the need for individually run brand surveys.

On 1/12/2022 at 1:22 PM, Lucia Nightfire said:

If you mean how one product from a creator ranks against another product by the same creator, yes, I thought about setting that kind of finer data up at some point.

That would be interesting to see too, but I was referring more to different brands and how they stack up against each other.

14 hours ago, Ethereal Cloud said:

No, more like they refer to your stats as the unbiased third-party go to, alleviating the need for individually run brand surveys.

IDK. There's nothing to "work with" creators there. They either reference my stats or don't. If they want to run their own surveys, why should my stats deter them?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another stat I compiled this time around, but kept forgetting to post here was bodies anime head wearers use. So here is that:

HS8kwKw.png

The % represents what percentage wearers of a particular head were using the accompanied body with.

So for example, with #1, 33.5% of users wearing Utilizator - M4 Venus were wearing it with the Maitreya - Lara body.

I included 45 of the most popular anime and semi-anime heads.

Caveats:

• I forgot to include the Tonic Legacy - Cherry head which had about 40 users.
  • Heads like Catwa - Nora and Absolut - AVAtOOn are not considered to be anime, nor semi-anime.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, fascinating data you've compiled here! As someone who recently got the Utilizator - M4 AnnieMay and still uses Maitreya Lara, I'm not surprised to see it's fairly popular. I was considering switching to kemono as it is such a cute shape and more anime-y, but thought it might've been obsolete by now. Glad to see that it's still a lot more popular than I expected!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 822 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.