Let's not have a month-long Halloween

Bree Giffen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 773 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Commerce is what commerce is.

All who have a SoMe account want to be "first" because it gets most attention and more likes. Blog a spooky room the 30th October? No one have the time to buy and decorate with the things you posted.

When us shoppers start to think about getting a spooky costume and set out decor, the stores need to have everything ready. The bloggers need to have Flickr filled with themed pictures.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Commerce is what commerce is.

All who have a SoMe account want to be "first" because it gets most attention and more likes. Blog a spooky room the 30th October? No one have the time to buy and decorate with the things you posted.

When us shoppers start to think about getting a spooky costume and set out decor, the stores need to have everything ready. The bloggers need to have Flickr filled with themed pictures.

Yup, I made Christmas stuff  in the past. That means creating and crafting starting in June/July and opening the Christmas market the day after Halloween.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:
15 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Yes for sure, not everyone. But when I make such a comparison usually I just mean 'on average' or 'generally'.

The West (on average), compared to Aboriginal peoples, are notorious for not handling death as well. 

I can agree with that.. hehehe

But don't forget about how many people there are sayin, HOLD MAH BEER!!

lol

So why do you agree that Aboriginal peoples deal with death better than those in the West?  What could we learn from them, is what I'm pondering, as best I can, as I can't say I'm fully awake atm  😪

2 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

So why do you agree that Aboriginal peoples deal with death better than those in the West?  What could we learn from them, is what I'm pondering, as best I can, as I can't say I'm fully awake atm  😪

East or west didn't play a part in why I said what I said, because Aboriginals aren't just in the east.

There is a big different in being scared of how death is going to come vs death itself.. I think there is an enormous amount of money, power and control in keeping people contained in this bubble of fear of what could kill them.

Think about it this way.. When someone knows they are going to die in say, a few months.. What is some of the stories you have heard?

Do they run around like a chicken with it's head cut off, scared and  freaking out in terror, Or do they  stop, realize what is really important and see life from a whole new perspective?  Some might run around trying to find some way to save themselves when they keep getting fed some sort of hope..

But for the most part, the ones that knows their time is short, lose the fear of dying and that wasted energy gets focused in another direction.

I just think, some societies, people are born and raised in a bubble of fear to feed the machine and some are not. I think some are born and raised with a better grasp of life and death, while the other is blinded most of life or all of it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

East or west didn't play a part in why I said what I said, because Aboriginals aren't just in the east.

There is a big different in being scared of how death is going to come vs death itself.. I think there is an enormous amount of money, power and control in keeping people contained in this bubble of fear of what could kill them.

Think about it this way.. When someone knows they are going to die in say, a few months.. What is some of the stories you have heard?

Do they run around like a chicken with it's head cut off, scared and  freaking out in terror, Or do they  stop, realize what is really important and see life from a whole new perspective?  Some might run around trying to find some way to save themselves when they keep getting fed some sort of hope..

But for the most part, the ones that knows their time is short, lose the fear of dying and that wasted energy gets focused in another direction.

I just think, some societies, people are born and raised in a bubble of fear to feed the machine and some are not. I think some are born and raised with a better grasp of life and death, while the other is blinded most of life or all of it.

I think this makes sense. Fear of death or loss in general is pretty universal, so in our capitalistic society, people have figured out how to turn this fear into profit.

Our society also hides sickness, disability, aging & death so we seldom see it. We don't kill the animals we eat. Someone else does it for us. We don't tend to our dying or prepare their bodies for burial. Other people do this for us too. Thus fear of the unknown is added to our fear of death.

Imagine how much money wouldn't be spent if people just accepted that they're not going to live forever, no matter how many expensive creams, gym memberships, nice clothes, or fun toys they have.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

But look at SL, how many old/elder people does one see there?

/me raises hand

Or did you mean people wearing elderly avatars?  That's a smaller number. The easy excuse is that it's hard to find elderly avatars that are well made and do not mock the elder experience. Few people need to be reminded of RL infirmity, and few want to perpetuate the caricature of a doddering old person.  The deeper reason is that we see ourselves as younger than our RL bodies allow us to be.  Coming to SL is like going on vacation. We get to dress up, run on the beach, fly airplanes, and do all the cool things that old people don't get to do in RL, so why not look the part?  👸

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I think this makes sense. Fear of death or loss in general is pretty universal, so in our capitalistic society, people have figured out how to turn this fear into profit.

Profiteering off of people's fear of death is hardly some new-fangled capitalistic invention, it's been the main source of revenue for the theocracies for millennia - with large emphasis of dogmatically reinforcing that fear.

Halloween is not at all about instilling 'fear of death' to profiteer off of it, it's a celebration of our fascination with that which goes bump in the night; the idea of dressing up as ghouls is nothing new. 

vintage-halloween-costumes22.jpg

Modern 'Halloween' outfits, on the other hand .. Well, there certainly is something we ought to be outraged about. But is it capitalism? Meh. 

4336789d95d7dabf76b370ed579d1def.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:
4 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Good analysis. Or do I think it's good because I agree with much of it?   :)  lol 

Yes I love reading the stories of how people's lives change when they know their time is short. It focuses one on what's most important, and some even say it is the best time period in their entire life. We are so easily distracted by unimportant things, but death brings what is important right up to our face. I like an old Native saying where it's advised to always keep in consciousness the bird of death sitting on your shoulder, as this awareness can serve the same function as being told you have but a few months to live.

Interesting...your phrasing of "born and raised in a bubble of fear" regarding what could kill us. This definitely seems to be a way the powers that be can control us. They recognize our natural fear of dying and loss and amplify it for their purposes.

Some clarification regarding what I mean by "the West" -- it's not an exact spot, and there's always someplace west of west anyway. I mean 'Western Civilization':
  https://study.com/learn/lesson/western-civilization-history-summary.html

Anyway, the reason I cite "The West" so much is that Western Civilization, more than many other civilizations, has this notion of endless linear progression into some better state, a belief in endless growth, often even proposing that death itself could be overcome. Whereas Aboriginal peoples tend to view life as endless cycles of birth and death, and respect the importance of death as a way of keeping the balance so inherent in nature. "The West" seems to believe death and nature itself can somehow be conquered by 'man'.

The distinction is important to make because many of the assumptions underlying Western Civilization are driving us to possible extinction in its quest of conquering the Earth -- the unrealistic goal of endless progress on a finite planet -- the notion that we can conquer nature itself. All of this, I think, stems from a fear of death.

Now what to do about a garish and over-commercialized Halloween? Almost nothing about what takes place in The West enhances the true purpose of this time of year and what was celebrated in times past -- when nature dies and slips into a quiet slumber so that Spring will arrive and lead into a flourishing Summer. Little of this farcical drama in the modern era nourishes what we should all honor -- death as a crucial part of life.

Interestingly some of these psychonaut tools I'm researching, guided experiences with entheogens or psychoactive substances, facilitate an increased acceptance of death with a resultant more creative, fearless life.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 773 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.