Suggestion: More time to edit posts

Aethelwine

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 622 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Post unneeded as the person who it was made to decided to laugh at it instead of making a coherent response.

Therefore removing this post eliminates anyone else other than the person this was intended to, to comment on it.

Edited by Codex Alpha
For obvious reasons
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Instead of the person I responded to expanding on their statement they decided to laugh at it instead.

Therefore being able to edit this post after the fact, and to discourage further commenting by others for whom it was never intended is attained.

Edited by Codex Alpha
The reason will be obvious.
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Aethelwine said:

I did briefly consider that, had I more than one or two things to add then doing that and editing it in to a whole might have been a solution, but it is not as elegant as simply granting more time to edit posts. 

More and more lately I have been running across forums that do not allow editing of posts at all where there used to be no limits on editing posts.

Good luck getting LL to change for the better instead of making it worse. 🤐

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

Post unneeded as the person who it was made to decided to laugh at it instead of making a coherent response.

Therefore removing this post eliminates anyone else other than the person this was intended to, to comment on it.

It does make a certain amount of sense.

Snowflakes melt, after all...

• Like 1

On 8/7/2022 at 6:44 PM, Aethelwine said:

If someone is using the edit function to trick people into a response they can then capitalise on by editing their post and acting innocent, then I would hope the moderators would have an edit history to investigate that, but someone doing that seems unlikely to be doing it after 24 hours... much more likely to do be doing it in a much shorter timeframe. 

I think the cases where editing beyond 24 hours, like where someone is taking time to collect information in one place, the usage is more likely to be beneficial to conveying information and making use of the forum to that end. Maybe I am naive but I don't see the additional risk that it would increase the chance of someone using it for nefarious purpose.

I think the cases it would get used are likely to be rare anyway, so I don't have strong feelings on this. I just think it an idea with considering. On balance it seems to me like the benefits outweigh the risks.

It all depends on why and one can't know the editor's intent until after they've edited.  If the desire is to give additional information, then it's easy enough to quote yourself and add the info if the 24 hours has already gone by.

If the intent is to correct a typo or grammar error, then, in my experience, you only need a moment to see the error you want to fix and it certainly can be fixed within the 24 hours currently allowed.

If the intent is to change what you said because of negative feedback, I would prefer that you not change it at all.  Let it stand and respond to the feedback, that's how discussion works. I get very irritated when it's obvious that a person has radically changed what they originally said.  I would rather see the original and then see the steps that lead to a change of mind.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

That's sad, I learn a lot from your posts. And I missed it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:
4 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Thank you for your well-considered response!

Priceless!  Considering you managed to get a prime example of why it's set at a certain time limit.  

I tried to explain but here's another try. I was tempted to respond to a bunch of Codex's individual points, mostly with my own agreement and encouragement on some of his points.  But, since my "gut feeling" said it wouldn't be helpful, I decided not to.  It seemed appropriate to quote in that instance, to confirm what I was referring to.  And as I said earlier, I really don't like it when someone does NOT quote me - in part because I will not get notified of their reply. 

I didn't have a "pretext" for quoting him this time, or that's my story and I'm sticking with it (which is a "pretext"..)!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Solar Legion said:

Ah yes, such a prime example given in this very thread of how a post edit can be manipulative ...

And such a prime example given in this very thread of how a post 'quoting' can be manipulative..

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

This thread is all the evidence needed as to why that would be a good idea.

And conversely this thread is all the evidence needed as to why it would be a good idea to allow posters with good intent (my default view of others) to be able to edit their posts.

Except I supported my statement with reasons, while you did not. An unqualified and unsupported view means nothing without you expanding on it as to why you hold that position...

and not to be vague about it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I tried to explain but here's another try. I was tempted to respond to a bunch of Codex's individual points, mostly with my own agreement and encouragement on some of his points.  But, since my "gut feeling" said it wouldn't be helpful, I decided not to.  It seemed appropriate to quote in that instance, to confirm what I was referring to.  And as I said earlier, I really don't like it when someone does NOT quote me - in part because I will not get notified of their reply. 

I didn't have a "pretext" for quoting him this time, or that's my story and I'm sticking with it (which is a "pretext"..)!

Just to be clear, and publicly, I do not read into your intent in doing so, but I'm glad it happened to demonstrate my position in this thread, and any personal reference to that is not intended :D

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

A smaller post editing window is preferable.

This thread is all the evidence needed as to why that would be a good idea.

Ah, yes.  I remember numerous topics and posts where this was very evident.  One poster actually got quite outraged when they were quoted and kept saying, "I did not say that!"  "Stop posting things I didn't say!" after they went back and changed some offensive things they did say which people responded to.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Ah, yes.  I remember numerous topics and posts where this was very evident.  One poster actually got quite outraged when they were quoted and kept saying, "I did not say that!"  "Stop posting things I didn't say!" after they went back and changed some offensive things they did say which people responded to.  

Glad someone else remembers, gets and understands what has been said.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

And conversely this thread is all the evidence needed as to why it would be a good idea to allow posters with good intent (my default view of others) to be able to edit their posts.

Except I supported my statement with reasons, while you did not. An unqualified and unsupported view means nothing without you expanding on it as to why you hold that position...

and not to be vague about it.

You'll be alright.  🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Yes, I've been trying not to / putting off bringing it up.  It was hilarious. 

Probably a different poster, as this one did not say "offensive" things: They changed their tactic later to prevaricate (*sp) a lot more, adding 37 qualifications to every statement, in case of reversal later.

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I list defenestration as an interest in my SL profile. 

It's still uncommon enough as to be shocking when in movies, etc. But I'm reminded of a great "HEAVY METAL" magazine issue with a comic that included, "DEFENESTRATE! DEFENESTRATE!", etc.  As a teenager, probably where I learned the word.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

If the purpose of a forum is to be instructional or to catalog or track information (Answers), it makes sense to have edits open indefinitely, with a change log. I think that covers your desire, Aeth. Making the changes viewable without cluttering the current version might be non-trivial. Ultimately, informational posts would be editable by more than one (qualified) person. That's similar to how the Wiki works (or once did).

If the purpose of a forum is to afford general discussion, long term unlogged edits probably asks for trouble.

A happy medium might be to allow uncatalogued edits within some short period (an hour or so), after which edits are logged for view by all. This allows removal of emotionally charged content after the poster cools off, but prevents malicious manipulations. Logged edits could also show up in "Unread Content", making sure that updates to informational posts are seen.

I imagine my idea is well outside this forum's capabilities.

Sometimes it takes me longer than an hour to cool off or reconsider what I've posted.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 622 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.