Suggestion: More time to edit posts

Aethelwine

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 622 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I can certainly understand why the OP is making this request/wish, especially for informative topics.

However, having been on the receiving end of a LOT of people changing their posts, willy-nilly, with ill intentions, I'll side with those folks here saying, "No."

I don't know how this forum software works. I don't know if it can handle different subforums differently. If so, then some of the less-contentious, informative sections, I can agree that having that capability would be useful. But if it has to be set globally, then it would be a mess in places like the People Forum.

I frequently edit most of my posts because I am losing my mind and cannot type a sentence without leaving out half of the words, or substituting one word for another, or spelling/typing badly, or comma splices... or, or, or.  Or to add a trailing thought. I think that's how most people use the edits, but there's that small group of twits (spelled differently)...

• Like 2

As far as I'm concerned posters should own their posts. One hour is more than enough time and even that is being overly generous. Think before you speak or, in this case, before you post.

If, for any reason, someone has posters-regret after making a post then there's a lesson right there for jumping in too fast trying to be the first to show everyone else how clever or witty they think your are. Poster's-regret is most likely always on contentious topics. One hour is plenty. Otherwise - tough luck.

What irks me most is not having just 5 minutes to edit a fresh post to correct grammar, a spelling mistake or a simple layout issue which hid itself until it was committed to the topic - Without it stating 'edited by whoever' as a footnote.

As others have suggested, if adding to an informative post because you forgot something or made an error then simply post the addition or correction, plus quoting your previous post for clarity, if required.

In a nutshell: Own it. Own your mistakes. Own your over hastiness.

• Like 1

What surprises me is how quick people are to jump to the worst conclusion, both for what the consequences of the request might be, and also on the intent of the request.  It's good to look at situations in their own context, and perhaps allow some different or new perspectives to take shape. 

The context for the situation in the OP request had nothing to do with changing posts to retract things that had been said, or making an error, or regret about what they posted, or being too hasty. 

Even if a thread has gone multi-pages and people don't want to read through all of the pages, I've found that at least reading the OP and perhaps the first page of responses can really be helpful as to what the post initially started out to be about, before everyone jumps in with the worst conclusions, sometimes turning the thread into an issue that was not the original problem to begin with.

• Like 3

On 8/8/2022 at 3:06 AM, Aethelwine said:

I appreciate 24 hours is generous in most circumstances, but I have just found myself a bit limited by it and I am not really seeing a downside to extending the 24 hours to a week limit.

I wanted to add an additional location to this post, add some bolding to make it clearer which continent the post was about and remove the reference to still working on it.

It is not a big deal I can see the sort of informational post I am making is not usual, but I do think it worthy of consideration. The limit might perhaps put people off from using the forum for similar informational posts.

Thanks

for your example, wouldn't it be easier to just make this list off forum and link it on your own blog or google doc? 

(I didn't even know we had 24 hrs to edit, I've only ever used it for fixing speling mstakes 😜)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Akane Nacht said:

for your example, wouldn't it be easier to just make this list off forum and link it on your own blog or google doc? 

(I didn't even know we had 24 hrs to edit, I've only ever used it for fixing speling mstakes 😜)

About 20 years ago I ran a community website coded in html that worked, but was far from easy. I did everything in notepad copying templates and editing the code directly.

I really don't know the first thing about blogging and my experience of google docs is limited to viewing what others have done, so I really couldn't answer that. Except to say that a barrier for doing it either way you suggest would involve learning and getting to grips with both those formats. 

Really simplest solution with the tools available that occurs to me would be to create a new thread to publish the list. If I collect significant additions outside the forum or in comments to start a new thread.

But I never planned the list I just like giving informational replies so Feorie's request got me motivated to spend the few hours making a list from memory with the occasional checking references to remind myself precisely where the thing I remembered was. So what I do now with regards to it is up in the air and undecided.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Aethelwine said:

About 20 years ago I ran a community website coded in html that worked, but was far from easy. I did everything in notepad copying templates and editing the code directly.

I really don't know the first thing about blogging and my experience of google docs is limited to viewing what others have done, so I really couldn't answer that. Except to say that a barrier for doing it either way you suggest would involve learning and getting to grips with both those formats. 

Really simplest solution with the tools available that occurs to me would be to create a new thread to publish the list. If I collect significant additions outside the forum or in comments to start a new thread.

But I never planned the list I just like giving informational replies so Feorie's request got me motivated to spend the few hours making a list from memory with the occasional checking references to remind myself precisely where the thing I remembered was. So what I do now with regards to it is up in the air and undecided.

Fair enough. Perhaps, if it's a list that's going to be useful indefinitely and often updated, they could make it a sticky and give you editing rights just for that? (I'm guessing here as I'm unfamiliar with the permissions capabilities of this forum software). 

• Like 1

I honestly think we just need to add Edit rights with no time frame.

If this isn't possible can we ATLEAST add Edit Rights for First Post with no time frame?

And add Past/History to Edits viewable if we are concerned with people changing their posts in a malicious way? 

8 hours ago, Bonesdog said:

I honestly think we just need to add Edit rights with no time frame.

If this isn't possible can we ATLEAST add Edit Rights for First Post with no time frame?

And add Past/History to Edits viewable if we are concerned with people changing their posts in a malicious way? 

permanent edit? I don't think i seen that often on forums. I'd rather see a permanent lock after a week of no replies :) 

but why that last?

A post can be edited for a very good reason, i see no need te be able the previous version. For example when it is a edited rant or fired up discussion, the possible AR'able text will still be present. No no support from me:)

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 622 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.