Meta | They Asked For It!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 695 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 minutes ago, Antonioo Giano said:

What makes you think is happening?
If you have PROOFS and FACTS that is happening, that Meta sells all our data to "someone" hiding this info from us, from the quarterly report not adding those "gains" into balance sheets etc.. risking going to jail etc. Then show to us and sue them because it would be completely illegal.
Until me, you and nobody else has PROOFS then is not happening.
F A C T S not theories.

Here are some facts for you on the very first search link "facebook data to government" https://www.forbes.com/sites/kalevleetaru/2018/07/20/facebook-as-the-ultimate-government-surveillance-tool/?sh=3df295ee2909

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Here are some facts for you on the very first search link "facebook data to government" https://www.forbes.com/sites/kalevleetaru/2018/07/20/facebook-as-the-ultimate-government-surveillance-tool/?sh=3df295ee2909

Can you please share to me an official document that give a SENTENCE against Meta for selling our data without our consent?
Or real PROOFS that shows that this is happening right now?
Those are FACTS, not random articles of random "stuff". As I told to the other person, you find thousands of stuff, Forbes and any other website that earns with your click (oh yeah, they collect your data too!) know how is a trend to hate Facebook so they love to make an article about any little thing happening, which is just normal for companies of those dimensions.

Edited by Antonioo Giano
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Antonioo Giano said:

I told you, you wiill find thousands of stuff like this about Meta, Mark Zuckerberg blabla. Happens all the time. We don't even notice anymore.
I'm happy to discuss if you have REAL arguments and FACTS. Like Mark Zuckember that goes to jail because took all our datas. Not those links that are completely useless.

I'm starting to think that because you're making money with your investments though them that you're unable to see how much potential they have to harm society.

And just because there is some "trend" to hate them doesn't prove they are not engaging in destructive practices, or practices that could very well harm society at large.

And I trust whistleblowers usually, such as the one who is suing Facebook.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

I'm starting to think that because you're making money with your investments though them that you're unable to see how much potential they have to harm society.

And just because there is some "trend" to hate them doesn't prove they are not engaging in destructive practices, or practices that could very well harm society at large.

And I trust whistleblowers usually, such as the one who is suing Facebook.

lol my "investment" is just to say that I know the company and I follow it more closely than the "average user" as someone doing any other job about anything else follows another topic more than I do.
Meta does not sell any data. All the rests are "blabla". If I ask proofs and real facts I don't get it, is always like this. Every "discussion" I have here I ask for facts but all I get are random links and people having theory, like your theory now that I'm "unable to see things" because I earn from my investment.. :D
My next answer will be to someone providing me facts and proofs of meta selling our data and I will thank that person because would be an insider and early info so I can get out of my investment now before it crashes :)

I read enough conspiracy for today.

8 minutes ago, Antonioo Giano said:

lol my "investment" is just to say that I know the company and I follow it more closely than the "average user" as someone doing any other job about anything else follows another topic more than I do.

Well your claim that we have problems with Meta because there is this "trend to hate them" rather than entertaining the notion that we are seeing definite signs which warrant caution, is similar to accusing you of not being able to see the potential for harm by Meta because you have a motivation due to being invested in Meta, isn't it?

You don't trust our ability to evaluate, I don't trust yours.

Caution doesn't require proof -- it requires a wide knowledge of how people operate in general when money is to be made. And a knowledge of what already has been attempted by those in power with an ability to make money from data (the company selling data to anti-abortion factions for their benefit, for one example).

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

So what do we want to see in VR?

I assume you mean beside a decent frame rate and crisp hi-rez imagery... along with well designed stuff and realistically proportioned avatars? But on that tech level, I want a VR headset that isn't an eyeball sauna.

I want good looking avatars and neat clothes with AWESOME shoes. And chocolate would be really nice.

On selling data...

Facebook-Meta is going to sell data. How specific the data is and whether it is useful to governments or political parties gets complicated. And whether there is an outright transfer of 'personal' data is debatable. But the primary use of the data they collect is to provide targeted advertising to Facebook-Meta's paying clients. Its is a popular model for several marketing companies.

When they are spending billions on a project, there is an expected return on investment. Since Facebook-Meta requires personal information, their marketing data is valuable.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Antonioo Giano said:

Can you please share to me an official document that give a SENTENCE against Meta for selling our data without our consent?
Or real PROOFS that shows that this is happening right now?
Those are FACTS, not random articles of random "stuff". As I told to the other person, you find thousands of stuff, Forbes and any other website that earns with your click (oh yeah, they collect your data too!) know how is a trend to hate Facebook so they love to make an article about any little thing happening, which is just normal for companies of those dimensions.

Who would it be that's paying them for those clicks?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Finite said:

Anything you sign up for or register for collects data on you. MySpace did it, Facebook does it, google does it, your cell provider, internet provider, cable provider. It even happens within SL. If you ever purchased a product in SL from a vendor that uses a 3rd party then they have data on you. At least I don’t have to worry about Facebook posting in a group chat how much I spent at a store. (Ya this happened to me).

Yeah, but ethical services don't then go on to repackage and resell that data to your mortal existential foes so that regional and international political systems may be mass-manipulated and exploited using spooky powers, ill-gotten money, and AI.

It seems there is no government willing to go up against this because this is built out of the same essential elements that the mass-media industrial era governments themselves have used to control history since at least post-WW I. To go up against it would be to undermine their own power base, and so instead it's effectively become a kind of 21st century privatization and oligarchical concentration of the wrongful illiberal imperious powers of 20th century national governments.

Edited by Brightstar7777
  • Like 4

I think the whole problem of adult content is neatly solved by all the data tracking, the unwillingness that has been shown so far by FB/Meta to change their "real name" policy, and the carelessness the company has shown repeatedly. There will be almost no demand for it by anyone who might not want the world to know whatever they're into.

Same goes for using Meta to unionize your workplace. Or using it to just exist as a gay teenager in some hellhole state.

Edited by skepwith
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Antonioo Giano said:

The big banners you see when you click the link. That is how a website makes money.

Theresa Tennyson literally crosses her arms in satisfaction in real life.

Do they just magically produce money then? Or is there some sort of company that sets up those banners so that the website will get paid?

https://www.facebook.com/business/

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Theresa Tennyson literally crosses her arms in satisfaction in real life.

Do they just magically produce money then? Or is there some sort of company that sets up those banners so that the website will get paid?

https://www.facebook.com/business/

I'm sorry to break your satisfaction, but I have nothing against website earning with banners. I was just stating how useless is to share a Forbes article about some random Meta related stuff when what I ask are proofs and facts (real) that meta sells our data without telling us.
If you have that, as I said 20 times already I will be more than happy to know.

Edited by Antonioo Giano

1 minute ago, Antonioo Giano said:

I'm sorry to break your satisfaction, but I have nothing against website earning with banners. I was just stating how useless is to share a Forbes article about some random Meta related stuff when what I ask are proofs and facts (real) that meta sells our data without telling us.
If you have that, as I said 20 times already I will be more than happy to know.

How does Facebook know where to place ads so that people will click on them?

They may not outright SELL your data but they do make certain aspects of it available to other parties.  Those other parties then PAY facebook to advertise.  So, in a roundabout way, Facebook IS getting paid for our data.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

How does Facebook know where to place ads so that people will click on them?

How this is selling our personal data against your consent? I don't click any banners, then for how you think Meta should not show me any banner at all anywhere because I'm a waste of time for them.
You miss the fact that a PUBLIC TRADED COMPANY must show any business they have and must be reported in their balance sheet. But no.. the fact that forbers have ads is a proof and a fact that Meta sells ads. It's incredible how people can go far with their imagination when they don't have proofs and facts but they want to win an argument. But if is that important to you and to others not having proofs I can just say you are all right and move on.

5 minutes ago, Antonioo Giano said:

It's incredible how people can go far with their imagination when they don't have proofs and facts but they want to win an argument.

Ok, here you go again assigning negative motivation to us.  I could not care less about whether I win an argument in this thread. What I do care about is the potential for people to be abused, hence my desire to point out the dangers we should all be paying attention to.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

They may not outright SELL your data but they do make certain aspects of it available to other parties.  Those other parties then PAY facebook to advertise.  So, in a roundabout way, Facebook IS getting paid for our data.

Yes, they share your data with other websites or app. But they tell you this. Here we are talking about selling our datas elsewhere without telling you. Like collecting all your infos and passing it to someone else for things you don't even know.
If you don't want them to do this, just don't use it. If they tell me and I keep using their services is on me.

Edited by Antonioo Giano

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

But there are other things they can do. They can block information, or turn a blind eye to misinformation, for example. Or they can subtly take sides on political issues, or even cultural or spiritual issues, like gender, and how their moderation policies are enforced, or not. They can circulate strange, arbitrary, or partisan ideas and yet refuse to discuss or even acknowledge the ethos of what they're doing or even what individuals, groups, or regions they're doing it to and how. The net effect for the user base is like, well, hens living in a henhouse operated by a group of hungry predators whose appetites are never quite sated. 

I think the idea of social media has great potential to (in a 1970s futurist sense) cybernetically wire the world together in ways that bring good things to life on a large scale, but it's as if an invading and occupying imperial force has built its fortress atop the idea and have turned the surrounding countryside into its slave plantation and colony. Now they want to do that to a VR Metaverse. 

Anyway, this is where I go off the deep end, and I just want drop out of the system that enables and permits operators like Facebook or what Meta will inevitably try to become. It's beyond upsetting that they were even permitted to acquire Oculus and I want nothing to do with the information service they want to wire people's brains into.  Yeah, no, this isn't the futurism we're looking for.

Edited by Brightstar7777

Just now, Madelaine McMasters said:

Yeah, this is so well documented, and has been for years, that it should be unnecessary to reiterate it.

And then there are the revelations from the Meta whistleblowers last year to add to the mix.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Antonioo Giano said:

You miss the fact that a PUBLIC TRADED COMPANY must show any business they have and must be reported in their balance sheet.

I love it when the facts and proof guys are wrong about the facts and proof. They need to report income and expenses, not the details of every deal they ever made.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, skepwith said:

I love it when the facts and proof guys are wrong about the facts and proof. They need to report income and expenses, not the details of every deal they ever made.

Oh yes. Because every quarterly report they "don't" release a thing called "Meta Earning Presentation where they go into details about earning they made and reported in their balance sheet.
Kepp trying. Or as I said, I can tell you are right and make your day.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 695 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.