Female avis are getting smaller and smaller? 0.0

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 785 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

7 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I think this is what it's set at.  When I open my rear view and position, these are the numbers there.  I just played around with the controls until it was set how I prefer then chose Set as Preset  Rear View so when I use the camera control floater and hit the rear view, that's what I see.   This is how I see when I'm walking around so ceilings could be lower and I'd have no problem.

5933a4d094a1c91c57a73b19b10481e0.png.89a7b10f30b443557dde2828d09b9740.png

Thank you Rowan, I'm gonna try those out when I get in world. :)

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Here's one of the family businesses - a trailer park. The rooms in the trailers are pretty close to your dimensions; the ceiling heights are even a touch lower than 9', I think. The trailers are 4 meters out to out.

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Hochkonig/226/39/79

Why don't a few of you come down and check them out? (I told Jolene people might be coming or else it could get ugly - and no, this isn't an attempt to rent them out.) They work; they're tight, but then so is a real-life trailer and the furniture is probably even oversized by a bit.

I went and had absolutely no issue moving around inside.  Adding furniture might make maneuvering a bit more work but choosing smaller furniture and not trying to stuff too much into the space would help.  My view inside...

352f32e9d235537ab4ce10161524a030.thumb.jpg.f0630225d87bf537ecc0b8ab2052e503.jpg

• Like 4

I have tried to use another camera position than the default several times. I think I heard about it many years ago, from a forum member @Pussycat Catnapor a similar name.

But I can't get used to it. It feels so wrong. I think I was in SL too many years before I tried it.

I can adapt to other things, but not to another camera position. I wish I could, because I see the benefits of having the camera under the ceiling, not through the ceiling.

Is it some tiny, tiny change I can do? If I can overcome this, I need to take baby steps, and not the extreme change others do.

Edited by Marianne Little

2 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

I have tried to use another camera position than the default several times. I think I heard about it many years ago, from a forum member @Pussycat Catnapor a similar name.

But I can't get used to it. It feels so wrong. I think I was in SL too many years before I tried it.

I can adapt to other things, but not to another camera position. I wish I could, because I see the benefits of having the camera under the ceiling, not through the ceiling.

Is it some tiny, tiny change I can do? If I can overcome this, I need to take baby steps, and not the extreme change others do.

If you try the positions I gave above for camera control, rear view, you can name it something else and NOT replace the default rear view.  That way, you can use it when necessary in small places yet still keep the default the same.  I have one for riding my horse I name Horse view.  Personally, I REPLACED rear view with mine but you don't have to.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Then it's not a meaningful challenge, sorry. Most avatars use some kind of HUD or other, and camera scripted HUDs aren't difficult (even if it's just a tiny or invisible cube). So, no thanks on your challenge.

It's not a challenge. I just want someone to show me that RL-sized homes and furniture will actually work satisfactorily. It won't, but there are people who think it will, and, rather than talk talk talk ad-infinitum, I'd like one of them to demonstrate it, that's all.

12 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

It's not a challenge. I just want someone to show me that RL-sized homes and furniture will actually work satisfactorily. It won't, but there are people who think it will, and, rather than talk talk talk ad-infinitum, I'd like one of them to demonstrate it, that's all.

Setting this up for you.

I've taken my RL house floor plan, which I have down to inch btw, and will build it (crudely using prims for walls and just RL-sized openings for the doors) and show you it works just fine. My living room is almost 20x12 feet, for example.

The issue, I think, will be finding in my Inventory furniture that is actually RL sized or can be edited/stretched to RL size. And I won't clutter, I'll set furniture up much like my RL home. But I don't think my 5'9" avatar or my custom default rear camera view will have any issue in this space. A default 7'6" tall male avatar might, but that's not RL scaled anyway. Make an avatar the average 5'11" male and he'd be fine too. But, we'll see. I'll post a sURL when finished.

Most of my homes have been in modified shipping containers sold on the MP and it's always been fine.

Edited by Katherine Heartsong

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

I think this is what it's set at.  When I open my rear view and position, these are the numbers there.  I just played around with the controls until it was set how I prefer then chose Set as Preset  Rear View so when I use the camera control floater and hit the rear view, that's what I see.   This is how I see when I'm walking around so ceilings could be lower and I'd have no problem.

5933a4d094a1c91c57a73b19b10481e0.png.89a7b10f30b443557dde2828d09b9740.png

Thanks Rowan.  I just tried this and went up some stairs and for the first time could actually see what I was doing all the way.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

Setting this up for you.

I've taken my RL house floor plan, which I have down to inch btw, and will build it (crudely using prims for walls) and show you it works just fine. My living room is almost 20x12 feet, for example.

The issue, I think, will be finding in my Inventory furniture that is actually RL sized or can be edited/stretched to RL size. And I won't clutter, I'll set furniture up much like my RL home. But I don't think my 5'9" avatar or my custom default rear camera view will have any issue in this space. But, we'll see. I'll post a sURL when finished.

Most of my homes have been in modified shipping containers sold on the MP and it's always been fine.

I'm looking forward to checking this out.   I rarely, if ever, have issues inside homes, even smaller scale homes.  My avatar is under 6' also.  At the moment, she's about 5'8" in flats.  I'm still often taller than a lot of females.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kali Wylder said:

Thanks Rowan.  I just tried this and went up some stairs and for the first time could actually see what I was doing all the way.

Like Rowan, one of the first things I did in SL was change my default rear view and saved a new preset. The default one is just too weird.

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

I'm looking forward to checking this out.   I rarely, if ever, have issues inside homes, even smaller scale homes.  My avatar is under 6' also.  At the moment, she's about 5'8" in flats.  I'm still often taller than a lot of females.

You just want to drop over for coffee and a home made muffin. I know your sneaky ways. ;)

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

Exactly!

I don't run around SL as my RL's height, so i really didn't see the room from where I normally would..

I think I'm 5'7 in SL and  almost 5' in rl..

I just remember being really small when I tried my RL height in SL, but that was around other people and their stuff..

I'm gonna give it a try and see how it feels with my RL height.. hehehe

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Here's one of the family businesses - a trailer park. The rooms in the trailers are pretty close to your dimensions; the ceiling heights are even a touch lower than 9', I think. The trailers are 4 meters out to out.

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Hochkonig/226/39/79

Why don't a few of you come down and check them out? (I told Jolene people might be coming or else it could get ugly - and no, this isn't an attempt to rent them out.) They work; they're tight, but then so is a real-life trailer and the furniture is probably even oversized by a bit.

I'm there now, and I've spent some time in a trailer, fiddling with the camera position, and I can't position it so that using the trailer as a living space works fine. It just doesn't. I've even shortened my height to the lowest - 1.8m by prim, not that it make any real difference.

There's a bed in the bedroom with a gap between it and the wall but I can't walk into that gap and it's plenty wide enough to turn and walk into. I can double-click into it but then I can't walk out of it except over the bed. I can't even see why not, because I can't see anywhere near where my feet are.

I'm sorry, Theresa, but this sort of space does not provide a successful living space for SL. A few people might put up with it, but it's no good as the norm for SL living spaces.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

54 minutes ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

Setting this up for you.

Thank you, Katherine. I'm looking forward to trying it, although 20' is nowhere near typical here in the UK. I've been saying 12x12 because that's far more typical here.

ETA:
On second thoughts, please make the room 12'x12', as I suggested, and fully furnished. Then it will be typically RL-sized. A 20' room isn't typical so it wouldn't be suitable for proving that RL-sized rooms are perfectly fine for SL living. We all know that SL avatars are quite comfortable in big rooms :)

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

I'm there now, and I've spent some time in a trailer, fiddling with the camera position, and I can't position it so that using the trailer as a living space works fine. It just doesn't. I've even shortened my height to the lowest - 1.8m by prim, not that it make any real difference.

There's a bed in the bedroom with a gap between it and the wall but I can't walk into that gap and it's plenty wide enough to turn and walk into. I can double-click into it but then walk I can't walk out of it. I can't even see why not, because I can't see anywhere near where my feet are.

I'm sorry, Theresa, but this sort of space does not provide a successful living space. A few people might put up with it, but it can't be the norm for living spaces.

Sounds like you're using bad furniture.

31 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

I'm sorry, Theresa, but this sort of space does not provide a successful living space for SL. A few people might put up with it, but it's no good as the norm for SL living spaces.

Have I said that it was?  Given that it isn't opposite day, I never said that enclosed real-world small room sizes are good for SL. However, they can be usable, and you don't have to "enlarge your avatar to use SL items." A lot of that town is made from old buildings that I shrank down and they're still very usable.

One of my aunts is an Amazon - 6'-6" in her stocking feet. I tried shortening her for a while but she's Resistant to Change. But when she was setting up a fairly recent name-brand mesh house she still had to shrink it about 15% before it stopped looking huge and empty.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Have I said that it was? 

I had the impression that you (and some others) were posting from the point of view that RL-sized houses were fine for SL living. My mistake. It did occur to me that there has been only person in the thread who promotes that idea, and I did wonder why others, who don't live in RL sizes seemed to be siding with it.

Really in mouse look it didn't seem smaller.. mouselook is a bit awkward for me, but the distance and room really wasn't much different.. it's about the same steps.

I figure, if I was caming myself and had a camera following me around in RL, it would be the same and that cam hitting walls too..

The only reason things seem so small is because we're not looking through two eyeballs at stuff.

That's really the only reason we need a bigger room.. Not sure what that would have to do with size of furniture though other than maybe fitting the room instead of us.

I can deal with a bigger room and smaller furniture.. I can make the windows and doors smaller if it bothered me that much..

ETA: still ,my RL height is way too small and I lose a lot of room with the slider, because so much has to be set to close to zero with legs and hieght and torso and the up and down things that move the height up and  down..

Edited by Ceka Cianci

18 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Oh for ...

There is no need whatsoever to respond to him here (or anywhere else for that matter). Some of you responding know exactly how he operates. Stop.

I WAS going to but figured it would be pointless.  I'd be more than happy to check out a build he has made using his own RL specifications but I'm sure he has no interest in doing that.   

6 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Have I said that it was?  Given that it isn't opposite day, I never said that enclosed real-world small room sizes are good for SL. However, they can be usable, and you don't have to "enlarge your avatar to use SL items." A lot of that town is made from old buildings that I shrank down and they're still very usable.

One of my aunts is an Amazon - 6'-6" in her stocking feet. I tried shortening her for a while but she's Resistant to Change. But when she was setting up a fairly recent name-brand mesh house she still had to shrink it about 15% before it stopped looking huge and empty.

I had no issue whatsoever moving about in the trailer with my custom camera rear view.  I didn't check the one with furniture but I will when I'm logged in later.  If the furniture is also built to scale, I don't see a problem living in a tiny place like that.  

2 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

I went and had absolutely no issue moving around inside.  Adding furniture might make maneuvering a bit more work but choosing smaller furniture and not trying to stuff too much into the space would help.  My view inside...

352f32e9d235537ab4ce10161524a030.thumb.jpg.f0630225d87bf537ecc0b8ab2052e503.jpg

You picked a pretty empty one lol. The one I was in had a TV, fireplace (I think), a couch, and maybe more in that space. It's a trailer so it's ok. Many, perhaps most, people would want more seating in their homes, which would be difficult. 12'x12' is fine if you don't have furniture :)

2 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I WAS going to but figured it would be pointless.  I'd be more than happy to check out a build he has made using his own RL specifications but I'm sure he has no interest in doing that.   

He did make an offer however it is for a size/scale that no one thus far has really mentioned using nor with any sort of realistic usage expectation.

If the furniture is also built to scale, I don't see a problem living in a tiny place like that.

Exactly.

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

I already did it in a thread years ago, and I've offered to do it in this thread, but nobody took me up on it. I'll do it for you, if you like but, unless you actually think that making SL the same sizes as RL actually works fine, there doesn't seem to be much point. The point of it is to prove either that it does work fine as the norm in SL or it doesn't. I think we all know which of those is true.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 785 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.