Linden's Mobile Viewer Plan?

Arielle Popstar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 620 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

9 Months ago @Grumpity Linden mentioned that there was to be an announcement soon on the Lab's new direction for a mobile viewer but unless I have missed it, I haven't heard anything more. Wondering if anyone who has been watching announcements and the SL19B videos picked up anything regarding their plans for a mobile viewer. Now that it is summer I'd like to be sitting out in the yard soaking up some sun while still chatting to some inworld friends. Anyone else heard any hints as to how the Mobile viewer is coming along if at all?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Pixie Kobichenko said:

I’ve been “making due” with speedlight website.  It’s nice to be able to see something at all & move, but being a stick figure is 🫠.  
Maybe Sparkle will magically make a return. 

I still hobble along with Lumiya but it is getting increasingly out of date and challenged to show avatars with BoM. Regardless, the Lab promised they were working on an alternative solution where an announcement was imminent. It would be nice to hear something at this point instead of throwing it on the heap of shattered expectations.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

How would a Mobile viewer work with meshes with 100,000 vertices, no lods, multiple 8 x images per linked mesh (that I have observed in my study of others work) - and how would mobile work properly if SL generally lags and chokes on an average computer?

Have you ever tried Lumiya? That has been around since 2011 but since the developer is no longer around since 2017, it hasn't been updated and there have been changes on the s/l network protocols that have crippled it to some degree but even so, here is a recent screenshot I took while on it.

image.thumb.jpeg.e325e81e85a10e3caeb9ee781385f430.jpeg

The lab should have no issues putting out something that will work on mobile considering it is not new technology, even for S/L.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Have you ever tried Lumiya?

Dont be silly Arielle, didn't you know, its impossible to have a full second life viewer on a mobile phone. Even Linden Lab say it is impossible and will take millions of dollars to create just a text chat version only.🙃

Edited by Drayke Newall
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Drayke Newall said:

Dont be silly Arielle, didn't you know, its impossible to have a full second life viewer on a mobile phone. Even Linden Lab say it is impossible and will take millions of dollars to create just a text chat version only.🙃

Sure Lumiya can do it*, very impressive considering  .. and it can bake your phone in the process*, hammer your irreplaceable*** battery into an early grave, consume all the ram and then crash taking the phone OS down with it.

* If you side load it from some sketchy APK source.

** My poor Samsung Galaxy Note, don't worry baby, I wont make you run the mean thing, you wont ever have to run anything again - RIP ☠️

*** It doesn't matter if you can get "the battery out", when you can't buy a replacement OEM battery and have to do with whatever scam fake ebay or amz serve up, then yes, it is irreplaceable.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Sure Lumiya can do it*, very impressive considering  .. and it can bake your phone in the process*, hammer your irreplaceable*** battery into an early grave, consume all the ram and then crash taking the phone OS down with it.

** My poor Samsung Galaxy Note, don't worry baby, I wont make you run the mean thing, you wont ever have to run anything again - RIP ☠️

*** It doesn't matter if you can get "the battery out", when you can't buy a replacement OEM battery and have to do with whatever scam fake ebay or amz serve up, then yes, it is irreplaceable.

Funny, in the 12 years I've been running it on the phones that I've owned, not one has not lasted beyond its useful life in other ways. Sure, it is a little more battery life but no more then playing Candy Crush or any of the other thousands of graphic games that are available for phones. Not all of us want to stay on a text-based game. Then too, I stay far away from Samsungs. Doesn't sound like you're having much luck with them either.

Why this constant grasping at  straws every time a mobile viewer topic comes up? Whether one likes it or not, VR and mobile is where we are heading. Maybe time for some to get with the program.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

How old is the phone you are playing such games on? Any modern mobile game that has high end graphics, PUBG for instance (and yes there are plenty and no, just because SL downloads assets or uses assets that are unoptimised doesn't mean it is any different) heats up a phone or drains the battery quicker. Lumiya is not alone in this. A phone during average gameplay of modern high graphics games can heat up to as much as 45dgrees Celcius with no problem at all.

As to battery, any high graphic game will drain the battery quicker and reduce its lifespan due to heat. That said, most people replace their phones every 2 years far before any such battery degradation would be seen. You dont see people complaining to PUBG developers or Black Desert Mobile developers that they shouldnt make the game as it heats up their phone.🙄

I know SL users are a special case where they play SL on the most antiquated hardware they can find, but outright writing that Lumiya or some other future SL mobile graphic viewer is not possible due to "its bad for your phone" is rubbish when modern phones and user usage says otherwise.

Additionally who in their right mind buys replacement batteries from ebay and amazon? Go to actual phone repair companies or phone battery stores to get them that way they come with a warranty and certification.

Then again I use a game optimiser on my mobile that allows me to change how much a game impacts the phone.

ETA:

Also this isn't just phones we are talking about which is what people get hung up over when a person mentions a 'mobile' client. It includes tablets like Samsung Galaxy Tab and Ipad that can run it far better than a phone would and to date do not have the ability to use the default SL viewer.

Edited by Drayke Newall
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Codex Alpha said:

How would a Mobile viewer work with meshes with 100,000 vertices, no lods, multiple 8 x images per linked mesh (that I have observed in my study of others work) - and how would mobile work properly if SL generally lags and chokes on an average computer?

When they talk about a mobile version, they probably will make it text only.

11 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

9 Months ago @Grumpity Linden mentioned that there was to be an announcement soon on the Lab's new direction for a mobile viewer but unless I have missed it, I haven't heard anything more. Wondering if anyone who has been watching announcements and the SL19B videos picked up anything regarding their plans for a mobile viewer. Now that it is summer I'd like to be sitting out in the yard soaking up some sun while still chatting to some inworld friends. Anyone else heard any hints as to how the Mobile viewer is coming along if at all?

Grumpity and Mojo Linden revisited the topic at Meet the Lindens on Thursday.  

Inara Pey provides a summary and video link at 

https://modemworld.me/2022/06/25/sl19b-mtl-grumpity-and-mojo-linden-summary-with-videos/#mobile

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jules Catlyn said:

When they talk about a mobile version, they probably will make it text only.

Considering they didn't respond to the OP with the new updated info and shoved the thread to the obscure sub forum, I suspect you're probably right and may not even see a text only aspect in a dedicated mobile app.

From Inara Pey's summation:

• Mojo:
  • LL was working on a chat app [initially iOS] but has “shifted gears”.
  • Appreciates third-party solutions such as Speedlight “filling the gap”.
  • LL still has ambitions in the mobile / app environment, but is not ready to discuss everything as yet, but there are initiatives being examined, including using web functionality in the mobile space.
  • Wants to be able to give users the power to managed inventory, shop, find things to do, manage their accounts, etc., via mobile and on the web.
  • [Video: 47:47-48:34] Grumpity:
  • Also working on a streaming solution (again).
  • Believe LL has found a sweet spot for a streaming solution in terms of pricing.
  • This cannot be free as it is running on some server, somewhere.
  • May offer a better option for 3D viewing of Second Life on mobile devices than dedicated apps.

6 hours ago, Drayke Newall said:

How old is the phone you are playing such games on?

Oh, I bought an iPhone and a Switch to replace it.

6 hours ago, Drayke Newall said:

Additionally who in their right mind buys replacement batteries from ebay and amazon? Go to actual phone repair companies or phone battery stores to get them that way they come with a warranty and certification.

Once the OEM batteries dry up, and samsung are especially aggressive when it comes to cutting off supply, everyone ends up stocking the same Chinesium bootlegs

48 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Considering they didn't respond to the OP with the new updated info and shoved the thread to the obscure sub forum, I suspect you're probably right and may not even see a text only aspect in a dedicated mobile app.

Which is basically the news we have had since they killed off the communicator app.

Although .. doing the streaming thing .. here we go again again again again I guess. I can't take this seriously anymore, it's a bad experience with major accessibility and usability issues, expensive to run, bandwidth thirsty with breathless PR and poor user uptake.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Which is basically the news we have had since they killed off the communicator app.

Although .. doing the streaming thing .. here we go again again again again I guess. I can't take this seriously anymore, it's a bad experience with major accessibility and usability issues, expensive to run, bandwidth thirsty with breathless PR and poor user uptake.

Yah but they can charge for it easier. That's probably been the holdup figuring how to make money with it.

31 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Oh, I bought an iPhone and a Switch to replace it.

No comment on the iphone but Switch sounds good.

31 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Once the OEM batteries dry up, and samsung are especially aggressive when it comes to cutting off supply, everyone ends up stocking the same Chinesium bootlegs

I stopped using Samsung so no idea about that. That said here in Aus you can usually get OEM batteries or Certified replacements very easily at repair stores. Shame there is no way for other people outside of Aus to buy them from here.

1 hour ago, Arielle Popstar said:

From Inara Pey's summation:

• Mojo:
  • LL was working on a chat app [initially iOS] but has “shifted gears”.
  • Appreciates third-party solutions such as Speedlight “filling the gap”.
  • LL still has ambitions in the mobile / app environment, but is not ready to discuss everything as yet, but there are initiatives being examined, including using web functionality in the mobile space.
  • Wants to be able to give users the power to managed inventory, shop, find things to do, manage their accounts, etc., via mobile and on the web.
  • [Video: 47:47-48:34] Grumpity:
  • Also working on a streaming solution (again).
  • Believe LL has found a sweet spot for a streaming solution in terms of pricing.
  • This cannot be free as it is running on some server, somewhere.
  • May offer a better option for 3D viewing of Second Life on mobile devices than dedicated apps.

When they ceased the chat app and stated they were looking at more exciting mobile possibilities, I had a feeling they were thinking of streaming especially recently when they mentioned in one of the meetings a while ago that they were thinking of mobile tied to subscription.

Trouble with such a move is that they should have just bought OnLive when they went defunct rather than letting Sony buy it and its assets/services. Would have solved a lot of issues and wait time considering that was eons ago not to mention placed LL in the possible forefront of streaming other games/programs before Nvidea, google, etc did a few years ago.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Well, if I were even more sarcastic than usually, I could point out that in a year or so, we will have Second Life on some tablets.

Which ones, you ask? Why, it's no secret that Apple (aye, the Evil Empire) is working fast & furiously on their 'all-embracing' OS, which would essentially run as well on the desktop as on the tablet — after all, both are designed to specs (no surprises for Apple developers) and now they share the same latest-generation Apple Silicon CPUs. The various OSes, at the low level, as well as at the programming level, were already quite similar. Unifying them into a single system should take Apple another year or two; Apple Silicon laptops can already run natively some iPad apps (probably just those that have been recently updated). The reverse, AFAIK, is not possible yet, but that's the way Apple is going.

Thus, to get SL on an iPad, all you need is to wait another year or two :) So there — LL can do nothing and just claim that SL does run on some tablets. Very few for sure, but... that would be a truthful claim — 'Second Life is now able to run on some tablets'. When asked about an Android version LL could just dismiss it to 'someday in the future' and try to acquire Lumiya...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 620 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.