Getting premium without a credit card?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 745 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Is it possible to get premium without a credit card? I've tried using PayPal linked to my debit account but it won't let me. Says there's a problem. Are there other legitimate methods to get premium? I've bought games on steam and Origin before, wish getting premium was easy like theirs is. 

I miss owning a Linden house now that I don't have a credit card anymore. 

23 minutes ago, AstraHunt said:

Is it possible to get premium without a credit card? I've tried using PayPal linked to my debit account but it won't let me. Says there's a problem. Are there other legitimate methods to get premium? I've bought games on steam and Origin before, wish getting premium was easy like theirs is. 

paypal needs to be verified. You can do that with a CC or bankaccount. The whole process normally takes only one or two days with a minimum of efford at your side.
It won't be possible with a normal debit card. Your personal details aren't registered on that.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

paypal needs to be verified. You can do that with a CC or bankaccount. The whole process normally takes only one or two days with a minimum of efford at your side.
It won't be possible with a normal debit card. Your personal details aren't registered on that.

I thought it was already verified since I've been making transactions with it.

21 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

best to talk with Paypal Support about this.  They will guide you thru what is required from you to enable your Paypal account to function as you want

Was hoping someone knew of another method, thanks anyway for the reply. 🙂

15 minutes ago, AstraHunt said:

I thought it was already verified since I've been making transactions with it.

most companies you pay don't ask for verification, LL does.
But it's really peanuts to make it verified. (if you have or a CC or bankaccount)
I'm not sure, but if you think you are already you might be able to see that in your PP profile.

If you made payments to LL with it, and those worked, you most likely are indeed verified. 

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

most companies you pay don't ask for verification, LL does.
But it's really peanuts to make it verified. (if you have or a CC or bankaccount)
I'm not sure, but if you think you are already you might be able to see that in your PP profile.

If you made payments to LL with it, and those worked, you most likely are indeed verified. 

Trying to figure out if it's verified or not but its already linked to my bank account. My previous linden and premium purchases was with a different bank with a credit card. Never used Paypal with sl before.

Edited by AstraHunt
forgot a word

1 minute ago, belindacarson said:

Have you tried calling billing support? See if they can help talk you through it, I daresay they've had a lot of practice.

No, I haven't yet. Still trying to figure it out on the bank and paypal level. Thanks for the reply 🙂

I'm not sure if it is a US centric thing to call everyone a credit card but there are debit cards in addition to credit cards.

Credit cards are basically a loan that you get billed for monthly. Debit cards are linked to your bank account and each time you use it the funds are taken directly from the account so there is no credit/loan.

LL accept both sorts.

Edited by Randy Pole
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Randy Pole said:

I'm not sure if it is a US centric thing to call everyone a credit card but there are debit cards in addition to credit cards.

Credit cards are basically a loan that you get billed for monthly. Debit cards are linked to your bank account and each time you use it the funds are taken directly from the account so there is no credit/loan.

LL accept both sorts.

Yeah, my PayPal account is linked to my debit card.

1 hour ago, AstraHunt said:

No, I haven't yet. Still trying to figure it out on the bank and paypal level. Thanks for the reply 🙂

Sometimes PayPal have to authorise a new payee.  If it lets you add it, try buying a few l$ and see if you get a text alert from PayPal to authorise it.

I'm not sure if ll bill you 1$ and cancel it to verify your card beforehand 🤔

22 minutes ago, Randy Pole said:

Then why not use your debit card with LL instead of having PayPal in the middle?

Didn't know you can do that, but not really comfortable with linking my debit directly to sl. Thanks for the suggestion anyway. I guess I'll just shelve this idea of getting premium again for another time. 

19 minutes ago, belindacarson said:

Sometimes PayPal have to authorise a new payee.  If it lets you add it, try buying a few l$ and see if you get a text alert from PayPal to authorise it.

I'm not sure if ll bill you 1$ and cancel it to verify your card beforehand 🤔

I've tried before but it won't let me. I think the issue might be between PayPal and my bank. Oh well. Thanks anyway. 

5 hours ago, AstraHunt said:

A debit card. Or prepaid debit or credit cards. LL hasn't accepted gift cards in over 10 years now.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AstraHunt said:

Didn't know you can do that, but not really comfortable with linking my debit directly to sl. Thanks for the suggestion anyway. I guess I'll just shelve this idea of getting premium again for another time. 

I've been using my card for over 10 years.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

A debit card. Or prepaid debit or credit cards. LL hasn't accepted gift cards in over 10 years now.

I closed down my credit card early this year and the bank attached to my debit card isn't in the list of recognized banks as far as I can tell.

1 minute ago, AstraHunt said:

I closed down my credit card early this year and the bank attached to my debit card isn't in the list of recognized banks as far as I can tell.

The only way to be sure is to enter the information on the form and submit it. Or contact Tilia.

8 minutes ago, So Whimsy said:

Does it work to buy Lindens with? If yes you could buy the Linden, convert them to USD in your escrow and pay for Premium that way.

No, I haven't been able to do that since I dropped the credit card. I transfer money to my friend through Paypal and she's the one who purchases the lindens for me. 

6 hours ago, AstraHunt said:

Trying to figure out if it's verified or not but its already linked to my bank account. My previous linden and premium purchases was with a different bank with a credit card. Never used Paypal with sl before.

If your PayPal account is linked to a RL bank account, it's "verified". If you're having trouble making it a payment method for SL, I suggest you transfer some money from your bank to PayPal, so you have a balance large enough to cover your SL needs. Then try making it your payment method again.

• Like 2

Recurring transactions are handled a bit differently than single transactions due to the need for long term storage of an authorization to charge. Not all banks or cards like to work nicely with them, even when using PayPal. Even if your account is on file with PayPal, bank systems see you initiating a one-time purchase differently than starting recurring billing.

Echoing others, checking with your bank is a good idea. However, I do this kind of troubleshooting for my day job and sometimes banks are less than helpful. You are going to want to talk to your bank's fraud department if their frontline customer service has no answers for you. It's very common for the customer service not to have the deeper access required to look into issues like this.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 745 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.