1 second Orb timing, is it necessary

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 761 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I love how @Rowan Amore's been cruising around the countryside during this entire conversation.

I haven't visited mainland in who knows how long (barely even remember how to unless I wind up there while shopping or something), so I have nothing to add, but I feel like the only one in here who hates sim crossings more than anything else. Ban lines, orbs, whatever, don't care, but those sim crossings that send me flying off into space for 5 minutes are more obnoxious than anything, which is why I just teleport everywhere.

Hit one like

pooh-soul.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

What is happening is that people are conflating their "right" to use tools provided by LL with their moral right to "privacy" -- or intrusion

That's not at all what I see.  Apparently, you see it differently.  I have the 'right' in SL to keep you off my property for whatever reason I deem valid.  Pretty sure we all know 'privacy' is an illusion in SL.

As for morality and ethics?  Any 0 second orbs, which at this point I believe are few and far between, are the least of the demons involved with people being either moral or ethical in SL.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I love how @Rowan Amore's been cruising around the countryside during this entire conversation.

I haven't visited mainland in who knows how long (barely even remember how to unless I wind up there while shopping or something), so I have nothing to add, but I feel like the only one in here who hates sim crossings more than anything else. Ban lines, orbs, whatever, don't care, but those sim crossings that send me flying off into space for 5 minutes are more obnoxious than anything, which is why I just teleport everywhere.

Hit one like

pooh-soul.gif

I was actually pleasantly surprised that the crossings weren't nearly as bad as they used to be.  I had a couple instances of sort of ending up wedged between a Linden tree and someone's fence that prevented me from moving.   Standing up, moving my ATV and hopping back on kept me moving along, no harm done.  

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Nope. There are laws/ordinances against blocking sidewalks and parking on the shoulder (depending on type of road and location) for any reason other than an emergency.

Lucky you!  Some of this could be due to me being in an unincorporated area of a county.  No annoying city statutes. No city police. 

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

I was actually pleasantly surprised that the crossings weren't nearly as bad as they used to be.  I had a couple instances of sort of ending up wedged between a Linden tree and someone's fence that prevented me from moving.   Standing up, moving my ATV and hopping back on kept me moving along, no harm done.  

Using new official LL performance viewer?

That's actually impressive! I remember the last Shop & Hop had a few nasty sim crossings. Wound up "walking" into the next sim for a good 2-3 minutes before I got control of my body back. HMPF. I was even careful, too! Nudged myself very slowly across the line. Still got me.

29 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Hit one like

pooh-soul.gif

When you're Pooh and get yeeted out of your body..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

That's actually impressive! I remember the last Shop & Hop had a few nasty sim crossings. Wound up "walking" into the next sim for a good 2-3 minutes before I got control of my body back. HMPF. I was even careful, too! Nudged myself very slowly across the line. Still got me.

Well, the big difference being I ran into almost no one, not even on the map, the entire 3 hours.  A pod ran me over a few times which was the only activity I saw on this particular road.  No road traffic, no air traffic.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:
9 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Lucky you!  Some of this could be due to me being in an unincorporated area of a county.  No annoying city statutes. No city police. 

Counties have the same kinds of laws and ordinances.

Not those laws, and not in my county in FL!

Well, the big difference being I ran into almost no one, not even on the map, the entire 3 hours.  A pod ran me over a few times which was the only activity I saw on this particular road.  No road traffic, no air traffic.  

That's very true. I usually wait until events are dead before going, but there are still all those vendors and displays and "heavy" textures to rez, so lag might be a bit different than what you're finding being out in the open like that.

I miss driving around in vehicles sometimes, but honestly I'd rather just go to Calas Galadhon park and hop on a horse or something. It's just prettier to look at.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

RL equivalent scenario: "I'm leaving the house now, so I shall turn off my security system. Oops! Almost forgot to unlock my door!"

I lock my doors when I leave my RL apartment because I'm worried that burglars might enter it while I'm out, trash the place, and make off with my possessions.

Similar concerns don't apply in SL, of course, which is why I don't bother with security orbs when I'm offline. 

In fact,  I bother to turn them on only when I'm in one of my houses/skyboxes if I really don't want to be disturbed, since I find the parcel tools available to me -- eject and ban -- perfectly adequate if a polite request to leave doesn't do the trick (another difference from First Life).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:
6 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

What is happening is that people are conflating their "right" to use tools provided by LL with their moral right to "privacy" -- or intrusion

That's not at all what I see.  Apparently, you see it differently.  I have the 'right' in SL to keep you off my property for whatever reason I deem valid.  Pretty sure we all know 'privacy' is an illusion in SL.

As for morality and ethics?  Any 0 second orbs, which at this point I believe are few and far between, are the least of the demons involved with people being either moral or ethical in SL.  

I'm curious...are you an introvert?  I am, and space away from others to recharge is very important to me, even when in a virtual world. Extroverts, however, recharge themselves by being with others, and this is foreign to me, as being with others too much drains me. I can be very social, but it needs to be on my terms so that I don't become drained.

And so the default for me, even in a virtual world, is to have the choice as to whether I want to be around others -- even for a measly 15 seconds. Having "property" that I can control achieves this.
There are people, however, who want the default to be given to the "explorer" who would then have the primary right of invading my space whenever they want, which conflicts with my desire to have a space, when needed, to be alone and recharge.

Anyway, maybe all this doesn't apply to you at all -- I'm just exploring the concept of 'space' in RL and SL, and why some people need it more while some need it less, and I think considering the introvert-extrovert dynamic could be useful in some cases.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

A pod ran me over a few times which was the only activity I saw on this particular road.  No road traffic, no air traffic.  

Why aren't we talking about the deadly dangers of driverless pods, instead of the crucial safety features of Orbs?

I guess pods were already discussed to death, from what I understand (reading old post references to pod drama).

#PodsBad #OrbsGood #FightMe!

• Like 1

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

Why aren't we talking about the deadly dangers of driverless pods, instead of the crucial safety features of Orbs?

I guess pods were already discussed to death, from what I understand (reading old post references to pod drama).

#PodsBad #OrbsGood #FightMe!

Next thing you know it, instead of grandma got run over by a reindeer. Lol. It will be Grandma got run over by a linden pod. Lol 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I'm curious...are you an introvert?  I am, and space away from others to recharge is very important to me, even when in a virtual world. Extroverts, however, recharge themselves by being with others, and this is foreign to me, as being with others too much drains me. I can be very social, but it needs to be on my terms so that I don't become drained.

And so the default for me, even in a virtual world, is to have the choice as to whether I want to be around others -- even for a measly 15 seconds. Having "property" that I can control achieves this.
There are people, however, who want the default to be given to the "explorer" who would then have the primary right of invading my space whenever they want, which conflicts with my desire to have a space, when needed, to be alone and recharge.

Anyway, maybe all this doesn't apply to you at all -- I'm just exploring the concept of 'space' in RL and SL, and why some people need it more while some need it less, and I think considering the introvert-extrovert dynamic could be useful in some cases.

I wouldn't consider myself an introvert.  The social aspect is what drew me to SL in the first place.  I love going out and chit chatting with random people on a daily basis.  Even in RL, I have no problem striking up a conversation with people.  

But, just as in RL, I don't care for people in my personal space.   In SL, it's where I get dressed, read notes, write notes, open my inventory then close it again quickly when I think about organizing it.  

I DO NOT have an orb set to 0 seconds.  Mine, at the moment, it set for 60.  More than enough time for anyone to fly over.  What makes me understand why people have the 0 sec. is that on occasion, twice to be precise, I've been on my platform, gone afk and returned to find someone must have TPed to me.   They weren't new people either.  They, for some reason, assumed it was perfectly fine to TP in on a stranger simply because they saw a green dot on the map?  I don't have any anxiety issue about this but I can well imagine how that would feel to someone who does.  Especially if you had to AFK while in the middle of a costume change.

• Like 1

I wouldn't consider myself an introvert.  The social aspect is what drew me to SL in the first place.  I love going out and chit chatting with random people on a daily basis.  Even in RL, I have no problem striking up a conversation with people.  

But, just as in RL, I don't care for people in my personal space.   In SL, it's where I get dressed, read notes, write notes, open my inventory then close it again quickly when I think about organizing it.  

I DO NOT have an orb set to 0 seconds.  Mine, at the moment, it set for 60.  More than enough time for anyone to fly over.  What makes me understand why people have the 0 sec. is that on occasion, twice to be precise, I've been on my platform, gone afk and returned to find someone must have TPed to me.   They weren't new people either.  They, for some reason, assumed it was perfectly fine to TP in on a stranger simply because they saw a green dot on the map?  I don't have any anxiety issue about this but I can well imagine how that would feel to someone who does.  Especially if you had to AFK while in the middle of a costume change.

Thanks for your explanation.

Just to clarify, being an introvert does not mean one would have a difficult time striking up a conversation with another, or that they have any anxiety issue, or that they do not enjoy the company of others. It doesn't imply shyness or fear of others. It's just means they recharge best, gain energy, from being alone more than they do with other people. So they need to have the choice as to when they are around others, one that is all too easily overrun by extroverts.

Can I propose something a little more radical to what everyone has been talking about so far?

You know how in RLVa there is the function @camdistmax which limits the distance a user can alt-cam away from their avatar

What if

LL took the code for that, and put it in their viewer/server as a standard llFunction (that requires camera control permissions/experience permissions)

LL Could then use their fancy high capacity event regions and use them to host skybox instances for people who want to live in Skyboxes. These skybox regions would be experience enabled with one of LL's global experiences, and use the camera distance limit of say 64 meters so the skybox owner can see throughout their skybox but can't peep into their neighbors.

These people can continue to use orbs because in a skybox region you won't have explorers. The security orbs won't upset anyone in a region like this.

Then, once these skybox regions are available, we have say a one year transition period, after which skyboxes and their orbs are no longer allowed on the mainland. Now every explorer has a right of way in the air. Mainlanders can continue to put up banlines if they wish, but I'm guessing with the availability of these skybox regions, the people who will choose mainland will be there for social reasons, rather than for a lack of a better option.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

What if

LL took the code for that, and put it in their viewer/server as a standard llFunction (that requires camera control permissions/experience permissions)

What if .. that was always in the viewer and everyone habitually switched it off to the point  viewer just shipped with it off by default.

Advanced menu > Disable Camera Constraints.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Not those laws, and not in my county in FL!

I'm going to feel bad when you end up eating crow. Go research easements and right of ways. Every county in every state has easements that are outside corporal limits.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

That's very true. I usually wait until events are dead before going, but there are still all those vendors and displays and "heavy" textures to rez, so lag might be a bit different than what you're finding being out in the open like that.

I miss driving around in vehicles sometimes, but honestly I'd rather just go to Calas Galadhon park and hop on a horse or something. It's just prettier to look at.

Foghat - Slow Ride

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

4 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I'm going to feel bad when you end up eating crow. Go research easements and right of ways. Every county in every state has easements that are outside corporal limits.

Not sure how I leverage this - call the county sheriff and tell them people are parking on the easement in front of my house, blocking the sidewalk etc.? (People in my neighborhood block the sidewalk crossing their driveway all the time. But there's no driveway  in front of my house, so it's just a nuisance that people park there.)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Thanks for your explanation.

Just to clarify, being an introvert does not mean one would have a difficult time striking up a conversation with another, or that they have any anxiety issue, or that they do not enjoy the company of others. It doesn't imply shyness or fear of others. It's just means they recharge best, gain energy, from being alone more than they do with other people. So they need to have the choice as to when they are around others, one that is all too easily overrun by extroverts.

Yes, I understand what an introvert is and I would not classify myself as one.  I love the energy I get from having interactions with people.  That doesn't mean I don't have times when I want to be alone with my thoughts.  Most extroverts do or should find that balance.  Usually, the problem is finding people I actually LIKE having interactions with in SL.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 761 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.