World Economic Forum organizing to do something about the Metaverse.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 852 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

29 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Just realized the thread title sounds a lot like, "Illuminati band together to save the Multiverse"

But... they're trying to save the metaverse before it even exists! It's a good thing that never happened with LL/SL.

Part of SL's sucess is due to the lack of heavy moderation inworld. That's also part of the reason SL hasn't really grown that much in the past 5-10 years. 

I get what they are trying to do. The problem is they are dealing with humans. Humans develop over time so you can't just introduce them into a sterile environment, nor can you introduce them into an overly regulated environment and expect it to work.

There is a balance to it that no human(s) has ever achieved. The larger the population, the less chance of a balance.

Seems to me the metaverse is screwed before it ever even gets off the ground.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Charlotte Bartlett said:

I hope in my lifetime for a holodeck...

Just imagine how it could be used in Education or Therapy or Stress Relief.   But also, I want a secret garden in my spare bedroom with tones of Alice in Wonderland!

Oh I do! There are so many practical applications for (mental) health care, education, rehabilitation, relaxation, exploring self, the list is almost endless.

• Like 2

It's less sexy once you see it under more normal conditions.

and don't forget we have had some consumer 3d screens that didn't require glasses before, the nintendo 3ds had a pretty solid 3D screen that delivered a convincing effect.. that everyone turned off because it boggled your eyes and gave you a headache

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

It's less sexy once you see it under more normal conditions.

and don't forget we have had some consumer 3d screens that didn't require glasses before, the nintendo 3ds had a pretty solid 3D screen that delivered a convincing effect.. that everyone turned off because it boggled your eyes and gave you a headache

You're raining on the only parade I have! 

RainyDay.jpg

38 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

don't forget we have had some consumer 3d screens that didn't require glasses before, the nintendo 3ds had a pretty solid 3D screen that delivered a convincing effect.. that everyone turned off because it boggled your eyes and gave you a headache

Forgot that I have a cheap 3D camera and companion 3D LCD display..

8 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Seriously???? Mannn, you're lucky. I just can't watch it. The videos where someone is on screen and the action is slightly tilted on a slant are fine. But there's a video for example where everything is coming directly at YOU and it makes me want to faint, LOL.

This one. Omg. Can't. Just cannooooot.

Im same way cant even watch vr videos for more than a minute before I start feeling sick and some of the suggestions ive seen for people who use headsets is you will feel sick for a while until your body gets used to it, im wondering what type of long term damage that is creating. I can see the ads now on tv "did you use one of these vr headsets call now to speak to an attorney.. nty my brain is happy looking at a normal screen. growing up we were always told dont sit so close to the tv screen now we all have them infront of us, i'm not seeing any side effects at all...

Edited by Paulsian
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Europeans on average seem to trust the government and its regulations to a greater degree. However in the US we are being ruled by the 'tyranny of the minority' atm, very untrusting of government and its regulations, and legislation is unable to move forward in many cases if it's against what this minority wants due to how our governmental system is structured (regarding issues such as gun control, abortion, and more). It will be interesting to see if the majority can wrest back control, restructure the way the government operates so this isn't such a problem anymore, and how it all plays out regarding the future regulation of the internet/metaverse.  
It does seem, as you read what the OP posted along with other articles, that they want to emphasize a G-rated metaverse, safe for children. This doesn't bode well for SL in the coming years, even as a standalone space apart from the Metaverse.

Regarding gun regulation, guns are now a part of the 'cowboy gun culture' in the US now and are a prominent part of the minority identity, giving them the sense of belonging to a tribe, much the same as not wearing a mask became a core part of their identity. When this deep identification happens and the issue is framed as "freedom" it's difficult to counter.

A Historian, Heather Cox Richardson, explains the 'tyranny of the minority' gripping the US now, especially as it relates to gun control:
https://heathercoxrichardson.substack.com/p/may-24-2022?s=r
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoMvvKuw2oQ

I like what Henry A. Giroux has to say about it too, how we need to change the deeper structure of life in the US:
https://truthout.org/articles/to-end-mass-shootings-we-need-to-change-the-deeper-structure-of-life-in-the-us/

Another Historian, an expert in authoritarianism, Ruth Ben-Ghiat, makes an interesting read as well, explaining how America's gun culture is priming us for authoritarianism:
https://lucid.substack.com/p/mass-shootingslucid-q-and-a-may-27?s=r
https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2021/10/26/gun-violence-authoritarianism-normalization/

I'll add it took six tries and more than 100 years of unsuccessfully arguing cases in front of the SCOTUS to finally twist the actual written words of the Second Amendment and ignore the damn apostrophe emphasizing "as part of an organized (that is, state) militia" to finally buy them off get them in the mid 1980s to favour the NRA's interpretation of the words. Tossing aside the principle of stare decisis has been biting you US folks in the behind since then, sadly.

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 4

On 5/28/2022 at 4:53 AM, Coffee Pancake said:

Trying to tie everything to someone's verified real identity is the dumbest part of all this.

I agree. Anonymity always seems to be conflated with doing something bad or antisocial, when for many of us, it's simply a user-controlled layer of privacy. It's not perfect either, especially when you buy something, but it should be a standard security feature, not something to try to strip away in hopes the minority who cause problems behaves better.

On 5/27/2022 at 12:14 PM, Luna Bliss said:

I agree some regulation is needed, and that there should be less violence everywhere. But if "video games to aggressive social media to violent movies" produced school shooters, why do we not see all these school shooters in Europe where they are equally exposed to the same media violence?

Well, why doesn't everybody who smokes cigarettes get lung cancer? Why did our beautiful dancer friend who never smoked a cigarette in her life get lung cancer and die, leaving two young children? Obviously, not everything in life works like a computer, and even computers don't work like computers.

Despite its abandonment of religions (except for new immigrants), Europe still has a lot of civic traditions and PS, less free speech. Curbing the Internet and free speech enables the suppression of violent media. The chief issue of gun control is obviously reducing access to guns, which Europe has done out of its traditions and Australia has recently done for all kinds of interesting reasons worth studying. That's all great and grand.

But the US has a far larger and more diverse population with more diverse laws in each state and a black market in guns, so while you can make picture-perfect laws "like Europe," you don't have European culture and you have freedom of speech and more illegal trade in weapons. Are EU laws now more pervasive than US federal laws? That's a question to ponder. So you still have to work on the cultural and moral side of it, and it's more than fine to focus on the effect of violence on the psyche. I didn't see any reason to have my two children exposed to violent video games endlessly but I couldn't control their exposure at their friend's houses. They definitely affected my son, but fortunately today, he no longer plays those games, and the reasons for this are all part of what the society as a whole has to do to deter school shootings. 

And let's not forget one of the worst mass shootings in history occurred in Norway, when a deranged white supremacist shot up a summer camp, killing children and adults. I remember how Europeans tried to write this off as this particular individual reading American extremists. But American extremists get their ideas from German and Russian extremists. And it's not only about book literature but the estrangement and nihilism produced by the Internet. 

Edward Castronova has a fascinating book which seems ancient now, published in 2007, Exodus to the Virtual World, in which he explains in both social and economic terms the profound effect on humans of virtualization and the Internet, and talks about how the brain reacts to virtuality as reality and has to work hard to explain to itself that it is not real, and sometimes doesn't bother. More and more millions of people spend more and more millions of hours in virtual worlds. Despite all those theories he backs up with citations and experiments, he airily says violent video games have no affect at all on shooting incidents, small or large - and speaking like someone wearing your forum avatar hat, he blames "broken families" -- and never thinks to ask why many children from divorced or non-standard families don't turn into school shooters. 

But then he speaks at conferences funded by game companies and is like a lot of game/virtual reality scholars, he is immersed in the world run by the tech companies in whose interest it is to deny this connection constantly between violent virtuality and violent reality. It's not good for business. I feel it is vital to be far more curious about this and the subject awaits its impartial researchers.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Well obviously, if you play violent video games backwards, you can understand the subliminal messages that tell you to commit violence. Just like music. 

Since Gamergate, it has become easier to criticize 4chan culture, violent games and nihilist worlds and everything that goes into it -- thank God. But still a long ways to go.

So now a hipster like Justin Ling can actually connect the dots between 4chan posts and violence. But like a lot of lefties in the journalism business, he doesn't want to make platforms responsible by redacting 230, and doesn't want to ban 4chan's web site, which he thinks won't work, but wants to go after the evil capitalists, the companies. Um, how? He and others have had trouble finding out anything about this Japanese toy company but 4chan existed with American funders long before the Japanese came on the seen as I reported 10 years ago.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Exactly! We don't all have perfect vision (I sure don't...everything's blurry as all hell without my glasses on).

And that's a whole other issue. GLASSES. I wear them too and I imagine rocking them under all that 3D equipment wouldn't be entirely comfortable.

Some headsets will accommodate glasses pretty well. Or, you can order prescription lenses that can be fitted to the VR headset itself.

14 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Some headsets will accommodate glasses pretty well. Or, you can order prescription lenses that can be fitted to the VR headset itself.

OMG! The expense to have prescription lenses put into a VR headset is probably way out of my reach. Of course the headsets are out of my reach so, there you go. 

I didn't see any VR lenses for bifocal or trifocal lenses so it looks like single vision lenses only which leaves many of us out because we need bi or tri. 

Still a long way to go and I still would prefer a holodeck of some sort.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 852 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.