World Economic Forum organizing to do something about the Metaverse.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 720 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

46 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I agree some regulation is needed, and that there should be less violence everywhere. But if "video games to aggressive social media to violent movies" produced school shooters, why do we not see all these school shooters in Europe where they are equally exposed to the same media violence?

because technology is weaponizing people likely driven by politics. imo.

Edited by Paulsian
  • Like 1

one of the logistical obstacles they spoke about was how to deal with the identity part of it, I read about development of a digital id like for me my real name is paul and so my didgital id would be registerd to my real name and then for privacy the id could provide alias. That way if someone is threatning to blow up buildings their information could be forwarded to law enforcement. plus would be good to have solid age verification. the digital id was not my idea but having similar would be better to have aliases, its like what second life already does with alt names but it would associate the alts with the primary account for easier accessibility and more accountability.

seems like there is interest in solving that problem and so that maybe a pathway?

not sure if thats good idea or bad not wanting to look to deep into it, leaves it to the experts to figure out as far as regulating real life & virtual identities, what that should look like.mI would not mind getting a virtual id and create alies to use in "the metaverse" im not going to go into world of warcraft with this alies, I have my wow alies, and so on for everyother game platform I use. Who would govern such a system to have access to my electronic existence, and who would govern them?

Edited by Paulsian
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Paulsian said:

one of the logistical obstacles they spoke about was how to deal with the identity part of it, I read about development of a digital id like for me my real name is paul and so my didgital id would be registerd to my real name and then for privacy the id could provide alias. That way if someone is threatning to blow up buildings their information could be forwarded to law enforcement. plus would be good to have solid age verification. the digital id was not my idea but having similar would be better to have aliases, its like what second life already does with alt names but it would associate the alts with the primary account for easier accessibility and more accountability.

seems like there is interest in solving that problem and so that maybe a pathway?

not sure if thats good idea or bad not wanting to look to deep into it, leaves it to the experts to figure out as far as regulating real life & virtual identities, what that should look like.mI would not mind getting a virtual id and create alies to use in "the metaverse" im not going to go into world of warcraft with this alies, I have my wow alies, and so on for everyother game platform I use. Who would govern such a system to have access to my electronic existence, and who would govern them?

That is a terrible idea, you dont want all your information across a bunch of plataforms in one single basket, and linked to your RL identity.

• Like 7

Trying to tie everything to someone's verified real identity is the dumbest part of all this.

I want no part of any virtual or online space that exposes my RL identity to other users or advertisers, especially as some way to enforce conformity (which will also do nothing to stop trolls)

• Like 9

44 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Trying to tie everything to someone's verified real identity is the dumbest part of all this.

I want no part of any virtual or online space that exposes my RL identity to other users or advertisers, especially as some way to enforce conformity (which will also do nothing to stop trolls)

guess it would be like apple pay/wallet. not a fan of the apple locking ids and never sending the reset emails after numerous requests (we'll reach out to you in a week). something a little less frustrating. could just be something like a debit card but instead of transferring funds would manager aliases? card has a number that number is entered somewhere in SL, SL sends inquiry to ID system to verify age. Just by number no identity association besides a numerical value. like wow I don't have to enter my wow name into system I enter the card number which sends an inquiry to the ID Verification System and wala? 

Is that horrible too? They will have to figure out something that will please most people. I'm not giving facebook/meta my real info no way. would I give them a number to verify I am a real person? sure. 

and then if someone breaks whatever laws they can be tracked down if verified. No everyone is going to want a verified account those who do not verify will have limitations such as no communication/chatting, travel restrictions (metaverse hopping), visibility. blahblahblah horrible rabbit hole

Could not even just be one set of numbers though that main account with main numbers would generate a unique number to enter into platform and then that inquiry is sent and verified? That way a scammer can not use the main number fraudulently.  That main card account would keep track of all the verified accounts. No need because it's just a verification system?

Edited by Paulsian
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I still can't take any of this seriously. Wake me up when we progress far beyond whatever this is.

b4d4616c-6b1c-4fe4-8ba8-ccfeee4aa672-iSt

I caution you, out of an abundance of care for your well-being, it is time to begin evaluating prospective new roommates in detail:

VR dancing 1.gif

vr dancing 2.jpg

5 hours ago, Paulsian said:
6 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

I agree some regulation is needed, and that there should be less violence everywhere. But if "video games to aggressive social media to violent movies" produced school shooters, why do we not see all these school shooters in Europe where they are equally exposed to the same media violence?

because technology is weaponizing people likely driven by politics. imo.

Yes but what is causing such extreme polarization...

20 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I caution you, out of an abundance of care for your well-being, it is time to begin evaluating prospective new roommates in detail:

VR dancing 1.gif

vr dancing 2.jpg

Gah that looks so ridiculous. Am I the only one who finds that totally ridiculous? 

3 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

[Monkey's paw curls up.]

https://viewofthearts.files.wordpress.com/2017/04/ghost-in-the-shell-batou-3.jpg?w=770

Better! Still kinda ridiculous, though.

Wake me up when they invent a portal we can jump through that will automatically teleport us into the metaverse.

1 hour ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I still can't take any of this seriously. Wake me up when we progress far beyond whatever this is.

b4d4616c-6b1c-4fe4-8ba8-ccfeee4aa672-iSt

She's pretty and having a good time in VR, if you had VR, you could be / meet / pretty too.

This is the failure of VR. Sell the idea of the thing, not the garbage face brick vomit machine you're actually buying.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

She's pretty and having a good time in VR, if you had VR, you could be / meet / pretty too.

This is the failure of VR. Sell the idea of the thing, not the garbage face brick vomit machine you're actually buying.

Funniest part to me is I had assumed the tech would've evolved much faster than it has. If you asked me years ago if I thought people would still be wearing face hugger VR systems in 2022, I would've said no way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:
56 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Yes but what is causing such extreme polarization...

To learn what it is that polarizes others, it is best to learn what polarizes oneself.

Well I've done a lot of soul-searching in my life, Arielle, but I need not take the trouble when it refers to why we're having so many school shooters in the US, as the cause is certainly not something I believe in.

This satirical VR game cracks me up, in a sick sort of way :( 

• Like 1

On 5/26/2022 at 5:01 PM, Henri Beauchamp said:

I agree 100% with the last two phrases, however I strongly disagree with the idea of regulating metaverses like you would regulate public spaces in a town... This would ruin all the fantasy aspects of SL, for example (and would pretty much mean banning all ”adult” activities in it) !

Privacy is privacy, period. What happens in adult sims shall not be ”regulated” as long as it happens between consenting adults and following the rules set by the sim owner/manager. As such, a privately ran sim or a private parcel in a main land sim, should be considered the same as the sim/parcel owner's RL home: they invite whoever they want and do whatever they want in it, and what happens in their home (as long as it is legal) is certainly not the government's business !

I don't think they will but heavy regulations or ban adult content all together. I think that these regulations will only take affect in public areas, like mainland or even bellisaria. Not on our own private lands. I do think regulations would be good finally, maybe some regulations on workplace safety. Like how we have it RL. So creators aren't working 14 hours a day like small mass production factiories. I don't think however that what our famous novel typist says that violent video games or violent movies, equates to violent kids. There is no correlation there. Actually studies found the exact opposite. I think having laws like in real life is good and healthy for a metaverse, I mean right now with how the internet and SL is. Its like the wild west. Lol 

17 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

We're getting there. There are developments that indicate the form factor of VR equipment will soon be much closer to glasses than the box-onna-face of today.

I don't think it would be wise to force people to use any kind of VR headset, just to be able to see the metaverse. Some of us can't handle it as we get motion sick from it. 

13 minutes ago, diamond Marchant said:

Vibrating fat belts used to be a thing too.... until they weren't

vibrating-fat-belt.jpg

Lol. I lived through the tail end of 8-tracks, cassettes, Walkmans, VCRs, LaserDisc, CDs, MP3s, Napster, Limewire, BitTorrent, a gabillion versions of Windows and Mac, a ton of consoles and handhelds, Teddy Ruxpin, and freakin...Furbies. Don't even get me started on the entire evolution of landline to cell phones with that entirely pointless detour through beepers/pagers.

VR headsets are just taking their sweet time I guess. Living their best box-on-face life. 😂

16 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Lol. I lived through the tail end of 8-tracks, cassettes, Walkmans, VCRs, LaserDisc, CDs, MP3s, Napster, Limewire, BitTorrent, a gabillion versions of Windows and Mac, a ton of consoles and handhelds, Teddy Ruxpin, and freakin...Furbies. Don't even get me started on the entire evolution of landline to cell phones with that entirely pointless detour through beepers/pagers.

VR headsets are just taking their sweet time I guess. Living their best box-on-face life. 😂

I lived through some of that, not the 8 tracks though. That was before my time. Lol 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

I lived through some of that, not the 8 tracks though. That was before my time. Lol 

Lol, they were technically before mine, too. My mom just had a collection of old ones that I used to look through like...what the heck is all this?! 🤣

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 720 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.