SL Viewer for 2022 Chromebook

SolomonHawk

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 547 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, MarissaOrloff said:

We have all given you suggestions on how to properly request this viewer yet you refuse to follow them. What are you really asking for or wanting from this thread?

"I got ripped off by Apple, now I want everyone to be as miserable as me."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, SolomonHawk said:

I certainly didn't come here to be hammered with attitudes and honestly, I'm not surprised because it is typical,

You were given your answer civilly.  You chose to tell us that you "were not interested in "No".  Can you honestly say you are surprised that you were "hammered"?  Granted some of the responses were unsubtle but that's the way of the online world these days.  We are not trolling you (well I am not at the least), just stop asking for the moon.

If you put the newest Ford Ka on a race-track any old Tesla will blitz it.  So it is with Chromebooks and PCs.

• Like 3

I am not asking for anybody's help or advice.

It would have been less headache for me if you simply didn't react to this topic.

But I let myself get baited into a B.S. discussion of which I have absolutely no interest in. Well, that ends now.

I'm sure as hell not amused.

I'm going to leave and make certain that I don't get any more notifications on this.

If you want to keep digging at it for your own amusement and make a spectacle of yourself, go for it.

Edited by SolomonHawk
  • Haha 2

M'kay ...

was going to just let it be but after that oh so lovely response ...

If you do not want everyone to be able to respond you should not have posted to the forum - especially if you are only looking for people to affirm your pipe dream request as doable.

Until Linden Lab refactors the Viewer in such a way as to allow Chromebook users to utilize the Viewer, it is simply not going to happen: You're not going to be able to use it on such "hardware".

Your options thus are: Get an actual PC/Laptop or utilize a Remote Play service such as Shadow or even Speedlight.

That is your answer. That is the only answer you're going to get that is factual. You are not required to like it and it does not matter if it is not what you want to hear/read.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Here is a little lesson in enlightenment for you, Mr. Legion.

Nobody had to reply.

I don't see common sense being exercised here since the first response to this topic with one response being the only exception.

It demonstrates a lack of comprehension on most of the responders who think they are making a contribution. 

It would have simply made better sense and a whole hell of a lot easier to just ignore it.

It's up to you if you want to keep harping about something that you really have no business getting involved in.

It doesn't look good on you.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, SolomonHawk said:

Ramblings and such...

The post you mention as being the only one helpful gave you the exact same information everyone else did.   Wait for a mobile client (phone app) some day, get a better device or file a jira request.  

On 5/14/2022 at 2:06 AM, panterapolnocy said:

But do they have time and resources to take care of yet another (non-gaming) platform, since they are already being stretched thin with their current projects?

Answer: Wait for the Lab to make a mobile - Android - client to happen some day, so it could be booted under Chrome OS. Or get a Windows, Linux or Mac/iOS dedicated device. Chromebooks are too underpowered for a full OpenGL client running locally and streaming may be an option for the future. In the meantime you may try Speedlight on the Chromebook. See also:

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-227245
https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-231992

It's your lack of comprehension that is an issue.

Who exactly is the person whose business it is since you did post in a resident forum?

NOW are you done?

• Like 1

• Administrators

giphy.gif

I see things are starting to get a bit spicy in here. So I'm here with a friendly reminder to keep it civil when engaging on the forums. 

You don't have to agree with each other, but let's tone it down a bit with the jabs.

Thanks!

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, SolomonHawk said:

Here is a little lesson in enlightenment for you, Mr. Legion.

Nobody had to reply.

I don't see common sense being exercised here since the first response to this topic with one response being the only exception.

It demonstrates a lack of comprehension on most of the responders who think they are making a contribution. 

It would have simply made better sense and a whole hell of a lot easier to just ignore it.

It's up to you if you want to keep harping about something that you really have no business getting involved in.

It doesn't look good on you.

That's nice.

Welcome to a Public Forum.

Might want to look in the mirror next time.

Either way, not worth the time to respond further. Nor the headache.

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Like 3

@Paulsian ,

That is interesting. 

It may not be the latest and greatest suitable for hard core gamers, but the action in the videos are more then sufficient for casuals such as me. 

Looks to me they're making good progress.

Programming language is still programming language. What matters is how it is written.

Thanks.

Edited by SolomonHawk
  • Like 1

I remember a long time ago when I rented a full homestead region (It was named "Dolphin Island" and has long since been renamed under new tenants). I can't remember exactly how long ago, but it's been at least 14 years ago either just before I had my house built IRL or shortly after.

At the time, a close friend of mine was able to log into SL on a pad (I can't recall which one, BUT it was a mobile device) and I could at least see her avatar. We were at able to carry on a conversation via text although her avatar was immobile (although showing basic animations without the benefit of her Animation Overrider).

Well, that was about 14 years ago. So that at least demonstrated the connection was possible back then. 

Now, 14 years is a LOT of time for advancement and improvements.

I gotta wonder, what's been holding ya back?

Edited by SolomonHawk
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, SolomonHawk said:

I remember a long time ago when I rented a full homestead region (It was named "Dolphin Island" and has long since been renamed under new tenants). I can't remember exactly how long ago, but it's been at least 14 years ago either just before I had my house built IRL or shortly after.

At the time, a close friend of mine was able to log into SL on a pad  (I can't recall which one, BUT it was a mobile device) and I could at least see her avatar. We were at able to carry on a conversation via text although her avatar was immobile (although showing basic animations without the benefit of her Animation Overrider).

Well, that was about 14 years ago. So that at least demonstrated the connection was possible back then. 

there are several apps on google and apples store that still do this, it's nothing new,   this push you keep pushing for,  you should build a team and make it happen, instead of trying to get LL or other busy 3rd party devs to drop what they are doing with their viewers and make this super important special viewer just for you.

On 5/17/2022 at 4:35 PM, SolomonHawk said:

Programming language is still programming language. What matters is how it is written.

Well, I really can't see a Second Life client being written in RPG IV, Cobol or Fortran.

Somehow I wonder if this thread is some type of Andy Kaufman-esque joke. Where you post something so over the top just to see who will bite.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MarissaOrloff said:
On 5/17/2022 at 4:35 PM, SolomonHawk said:

Well, I really can't see a Second Life client being written in RPG IV, Cobol or Fortran.

What about ADA? It was good enough for the US Government for years. (NASA)

10 hours ago, SolomonHawk said:

At the time, a close friend of mine was able to log into SL on a pad (I can't recall which one, BUT it was a mobile device) and I could at least see her avatar. We were at able to carry on a conversation via text although her avatar was immobile (although showing basic animations without the benefit of her Animation Overrider).

Easy question!

Most mobile devices don't support the graphics code (OpenGL I think) that is shared by all the other viewers. So, a viewer for those devices would have to be written from scratch. This is much, much harder than you may think.

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Easy question!

Most mobile devices don't support the graphics code (OpenGL I think) that is shared by all the other viewers. So, a viewer for those devices would have to be written from scratch. This is much, much harder than you may think.

I wonder how the crazy people at Speedlight are doing with their JavaScript-based renderer... Last I checked, static mesh was implemented.

Edit: Well, they have added animated avatars, but... it's very clearly a placeholder. At least it runs (not too terribly) on pretty much any device with a web browser.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 1

Further back in time when I worked in radio communications repair (1997ish), I envisioned "mobile video phones".

This was shortly after the pager craze and mobile phones were making their widely public debut. They were just catching on.

But I never thought that I'd be witness to Frankenstein being turned loose upon us all. 

Look around you. See what it is now.

Returning back to the early 21st Century:

Back then, I was not aware that using a pad to log into second life was even possible. 

When my friend did, it caught me by surprise.

I have to admit I was extremely skeptical. It was difficult to for me to grasp and eventually accept it could happen.

But it does hint that some form of mobile app was available at the time. What is was exactly, I'll never know  but I suspect it was probably Linux based.

Anyway, a lot of advancement in that technology has taken place over the years since then. So, I can't just dismiss the conceptual possibility it holds.

Well, nobody in their right mind would demand current developments be sidelined to concentrate on this. Believe me, I'm making no such demands.

According to some of the current information, there seems to be something going on in its development though even if it's not a priority.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Edited by SolomonHawk

56 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

I wonder how the crazy people at Speedlight are doing with their JavaScript-based renderer... Last I checked, static mesh was implemented.

Edit: Well, they have added animated avatars, but... it's very clearly a placeholder. At least it runs (not too terribly) on pretty much any device with a web browser.

Yeah, while I'm happy Speedlight exists, I won't be using it much (unless I make a friend to chat with, or want to "go someplace" when my PC isn't around).  Until the graphics improve!

1 minute ago, SolomonHawk said:

Back then, I was not aware that using a pad to log into second life was even possible. 

I have to admit I was extremely skeptical. It was difficult to for me to grasp and eventually accept it could happen.

But it does hint that some form of mobile app was available at the time. What is was exactly, I'll never know but I can guess.

The "pad" app I used was text-based only (Pocket Metaverse).  The new browser-based "app" I spoke up (speedlight.io) is light-years better that that old one.

12 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Yeah, while I'm happy Speedlight exists, I won't be using it much (unless I make a friend to chat with, or want to "go someplace" when my PC isn't around).  Until the graphics improve!

I don't have any real interest in that project either, I'm just morbidly curious about how far they can get on JS before it implodes.

14 minutes ago, SolomonHawk said:

But it does hint that some form of mobile app was available at the time. What is was exactly, I'll never know but I can guess.

There's been text clients for PC/mobile for as long as I've been on SL (15+ years). Lumiya/LittleSight/Mobile Grid Client for Android, Pocket Metaverse for iPhone/iPad, Radegast for PC (started development mid-2009), etc.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

22 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:
32 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I don't have any real interest in that project either, I'm just morbidly curious about how far they can get on JS before it implodes.

Pathetically, I'm more likely to log into a mobile client than a "real" SL client because, habits.  Maybe I'm "afraid" to login to my SL/home PC during work, since both PC's are now in the same spot.

Edited by Love Zhaoying

I'm just curious.  Back in 2007-09 I briefly experimented with a text-only SL client that would run on low-powered computers (such as were available in my workplace).  I was essentially computer illiterate back then and I never really got it to work that well.  You could chat and fiddle with inventory but teleporting usually got me disconnected due to the lousy Internet we had there.  I think it was called SLeek or something - anyone remember it?

Edited by Aishagain

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 547 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.