IvyTechEngineer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 576 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

15 answers to this question

Short answer: No.

Longer answer: If you created every part of your avatar...shape, skin, eyes, hair, hairbase, tattoos, clothing, shoes, jewelry, all the textures...then yes. You can download them to your PC (in fact, in creating them, they are probably already on your PC). Then upload to Opensim.

• Like 3

You can copy your shape sliders to a piece of paper or to a document on your computer. You can upload full perm textures and copy full perm scripts to your computer. You can not copy meshes to your computer, unless you can find some device that could copy full perm mesh the way a Mesh Generator changes full perm prims or sculps into mesh files.

The default mesh avatars are not full perm. Most mesh found inworld is not full perm. Most skins, hair, clothing, tattoos, etc. are not full perm.  If people could just copy and export everything like that, creators wouldn't be able to make any money.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, IvyTechEngineer said:

Can I export my SL avatar to for Opensim? My Avatar is one of the SL New Avatars, can this be exported?

When you purchased you mesh avatar (body and head or combo) you bought the RIGHT to USE it in Second Life and only that right.  I suspect you can export illegally since there was at least one badly imported (no feet or hands so really who cares) version of Lara floating around a couple of years back.  In general (and only in general) if you see something in Opensim that looks as good as Second Life then it is fairly likely it is stolen. The exception would be items made by creators that have shops both in SL and Opensim. There are very few.  

Chic waves hands.

:SwingingFriends:

PS. There WERE a few Opensim creators that only created for Opensim. Most seem gone now but there items can still be found as free or on Kitely market.  

Edited by Chic Aeon
adding info
  • Like 2

I found this web article helpful: https://www.softwaretestinghelp.com/opensim-tutorial/.

Recently I became aware of the extent of copybot piracy in parts of Open Sim. Unfortunately, I believe that legal protection for 'virtual' products is still pretty weak and there is little recourse for small creators whose products have been pirated. 

I believe Second Life's decision not to allow SL users to easily access Open Sim is a good one for that reason.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Rufferta said:

I believe Second Life's decision not to allow SL users to easily access Open Sim is a good one for that reason.

It was in part LLs decision to make the code available that made copybotting available. I was here then long ago and to say there was and UPROAR is putting it very mildly.  While Opensim looks a lot like SL it is a different platform and has rules that are different in many cases.  

AND I can access Opensim with a simple click on Firestorm login.  ^^ so it doesn't get much easier than that.  

Chic on the Kitely Sandobx testing physics. 

1845727388_amdfprs.jpg.d38cc79563c9bb8750c67574c7a222a3.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

It was in part LLs decision to make the code available that made copybotting available. I was here then long ago and to say there was and UPROAR is putting it very mildly.  While Opensim looks a lot like SL it is a different platform and has rules that are different in many cases.  

AND I can access Opensim with a simple click on Firestorm login.  ^^ so it doesn't get much easier than that.  

Chic on the Kitely Sandobx testing physics. 

1845727388_amdfprs.jpg.d38cc79563c9bb8750c67574c7a222a3.jpg

I don't know enough to have an opinion about LL's decision to let their code be freely available; I was thinking more about the fact that we don't have hypergrid portals. I believe there was a short-lived experiment with gates, but I don't think residents ever had the option to walk from one world into another. 

2 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

LL at one time did have a bridge type setup in testing from SL to opensim @Ardy Lay I believe was part of the testing.

Pretty sure that was the IBM partnership project and yes, it was somewhat more functional than the "teleport" to OSGrid, but I didn't get to participate...  so I don't really know.   I would have to research it but I have found that many of the historical publications are gone or have been modified.

Edited by Ardy Lay

5 hours ago, Ardy Lay said:

Pretty sure that was the IBM partnership project and yes, it was somewhat more functional than the "teleport" to OSGrid, but I didn't get to participate...  so I don't really know.   I would have to research it but I have found that many of the historical publications are gone or have been modified.

Ah, I thought pom at one point said you were in the project,  it's been my belief all along you had your paws in it,  my fault ardy.

19 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

Ah, I thought pom at one point said you were in the project,  it's been my belief all along you had your paws in it,  my fault ardy.

Well, form what I understand, there were two, sort of similar things going on.  IBM was involved with one of them and it was secured, not open.  The other was open, did not involve IBM resources directly, and didn't include any asset transference. But, this was long ago and the published articles about them have been edited, so I don't care anymore.

9 hours ago, Sorina Garrigus said:

You make it sound like everyone on open sim is lazy, steal,  and don't want to make anything. I disagree. 

Yes there are some people that do create but there most things that are in open sim has come from Second Life. There is no denying or disagreeing with visual proof. 

Edited by Sam1 Bellisserian

1 hour ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

Yes there are some people that do create but there most things that are in open sim has come from Second Life. There is not denying or disagreeing with visual proof. 

That is unfortunate. Kind of why I am looking to more self contained grids. Though I think a lot of that stuff reached the ones I seen as well. People work hard on some of this stuff. It is sad to see people just snatch their hard and creative efforts. 

All of the copybot comments are more than warranted for sure.

That said I wouldn't bother with exporting my SL avatars to Open Sim. I've given all of mine distinct looks and besides... some of the features built into my SL avatars likely wouldn't work in Open Sim. I have accounts in Kitely and OSgrid.

Here's one of my looks out there. And yes I know it's likely copybotted. OS veterans suggest people stick to Ye Olde Ruth/Roth2 avis for that reason... I'm trying that now, but it's hard AF especially if you love the bento mesh.

This is an older Lelutka Erin head, mated to the Athena body, which is similar to Maitreya.

Not particularly grim here, but...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 576 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.