Requesting an LGBTQ+ sub forum.

Coffee Pancake

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 799 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I don't know anything about all this constitution/amendment stuff since I'm not a resident of the US so to me it's just another musty old scrap of paper and if history teaches us anything it's that the results of people blindly following the doctrines scribbled on musty old scraps of paper are usually not great.

Out of curiosity I did skim through a transcript and noticed that the very first line, the part where they outline the reasons for it's creation says this...

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Perhaps it's my reluctance to take scribblings on musty old scraps of paper completely literally, but this line suggests to me that the reason you wont find any amendments to the constitution on the subject of empathy or accountability is because those concepts are enshrined in the very first line of the original document.  How can you hope to "establish Justice" without embracing the concept of accountability? Furthermore I'd argue that listing things like "domestic Tranquility" and "the general Welfare" as reasons for the creation of the constitution is a clear indication of the importance that it's author placed on empathy.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:
On 4/13/2022 at 2:26 PM, Coffee Pancake said:

I would like to see a clean up focus to moderation in this forum that aims to preserve ongoing discussions between community members.

Rather than simply allowing all threads to descend into heated culture war debates until things get personal, and the threads locked or vanished.

Vanished is bad. But if we have a place to discuss, support, teach, and learn.. IMHO it's got to be worth the drama, trolls, and occasional locks. Just an opinion!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

You have more faith in LL than I do, I guess.

Sometimes we do have to beat LL over the head with a 2x4 to get their attention. Usually, once we have that (and whatever it is isn't illegal in the US/CA), they take action. Case in point: RedZone. Once LL was provided with the necessary info (along with testimony from victims) they accepted the media filter from one of the TPVs, modified it to meet their standards and then incorporated the feature into the official viewer.

So, LL can and does step up to the plate. The unfortunate part was having to back LL into a corner with a legal noose around its neck before they would take action on this particular case. They haven't been as blind or stubborn on a lot of other things. but those things didn't endanger the existence of SL whereas RedZone did in (legal) ways most people have no idea about.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker

1 hour ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

First, you made, with great certainty, a claim that is manifestly false. It is possible to read tone in text.

Within literature text is given within a certain context/plot, or accompanied by descriptions. "She said sullenly." "He shouted." "Her voice wavered as she spoke." Beyond that, you have met the characters and have a feel for them. If that doesn't apply then you know the setting it takes places in, all of which give clues as to the tone of it all.

So of course it works within literature.

This however does not happen with plain text. All you can do is interpret and you never know for sure if you are right.

Edited by So Whimsy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

you sense vitriol. You even sense that I sense it!

That is why you have surprised me, So.

I sense it because people have plain out called others haters for not sharing their opinion. I sense it because people have called other's out for being disturbed when they were not.

There is vitriol in here all right.

Edited by So Whimsy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I disagree with the part after "and". 

You can know for sure by the responses you get.

Again, unless they make things clear in no uncertain terms, all you can do is interpret. Everyone gets a vibe from a person's replies, that's natural but you just can't be sure. That's why 'giving the benefit of doubt' is a thing.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, So Whimsy said:

Again, unless they make things clear in no uncertain terms, all you can do is interpret. Everyone gets a vibe from a person's replies, that's natural but you just can't be sure. That's why 'giving the benefit of doubt' is a thing.

I get a vibe that you disagree..

Edited by Love Zhaoying
Didn't mean your name by leading with "So", so removed it
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, So Whimsy said:

Again, unless they make things clear in no uncertain terms, all you can do is interpret.

Yes, I agree, it's interpretation. And the more I've paid attention to someone's posts the more I trust my interpretation.  I have no idea about you as I haven't seen you around much in the places I've been, I guess.

What's freaky is when you are familiar with someone's posts, and the rhythm of their typing speeds up dramatically with many caps, they're impatient when usually you witness them being much more easygoing, they're using cuss words like there's no tomorrow when they rarely do, and they bust out with "I'm Not Angry!!!"      :(

20 minutes ago, So Whimsy said:

I sense it because people have plain out called others haters for not sharing their opinion.

When did that happen?  Not saying it didn't...but I don't recall it.

Who called others haters for not sharing their opinion on what?...that might be enough to jag my memory without you having to search through 14 pages...

11 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Who called others haters for not sharing their opinion on what?...that might be enough to jag my memory without you having to search through 14 pages...

there you go.

On 4/14/2022 at 4:26 PM, Maitimo said:

Congratulations to all the homophbes and haters here, you just scored another internet point. I hope it brings you the great joy that you don't deserve.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Reminder to please not take the bait.

They have made their points, expressed their opposition and are only here to get this thread closed on a technicality.

I am not trying to get anything closed.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, So Whimsy said:
17 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

there you go.

On 4/14/2022 at 9:26 AM, Maitimo said:

Congratulations to all the homophbes and haters here, you just scored another internet point. I hope it brings you the great joy that you don't deserve.

Yeah, he did. He sounds frustrated, and not even sure if he's talking to specific people or everyone in opposition.

I hope you'll consider he's just one guy.  I don't think most who desire this sub-forum consider anyone in opposition a homophobe or a hater. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I am? Since when?

Trolls are going to be trolls (you know this) regardless of what the forum title is. Trolls are attracted by people to attack, not the subject matter. The subject is simply a means to an end, trolling.

If LL adds sections/forums people are going to gripe. If LL takes away a section or forum people are going to scream bloody murder.

Sorry, we aren't all a part of a community. Not by choice.

And of course the one community I would be welcome in is the LGBT+ community, one in which I really don't belong because I'm not really one of them.

Watching the way others treat each other and knowing how I am treated, maybe it is time for me to cut off all contact with other humans.

Ok.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Vanished is bad. But if we have a place to discuss, support, teach, and learn.. IMHO it's got to be worth the drama, trolls, and occasional locks. Just an opinion!

If it's worth the drama, trolls and occasional locks that is what you have now according to the OP.  What would be different if it were in a separate section?

• Like 4

Just now, Luna Bliss said:

Yeah, he did. He sounds frustrated, and not even sure if he's talking to specific people or everyone in opposition.

I hope you'll consider he's just one guy.  I don't think most who desire this sub-forum consider anyone in opposition a homophobe or a hater. 

It's what got me a bit up in arms to begin with. It was such a blanket statement and it was even more out of line considering up until that point not a single person had spoken out against such a sub-forum (and as far as I have read, no one since has either). The question they had was just 'why' and bam, labeled. This is also why I posted that there is vitriol and its NOT coming from those questioning why we need such a sub-forum.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Solo Alpha said:

Hyena's .. don't forget the hyena's.

You're surrounded by them right now, btw .... :|

Hyenas did nothing wrong.

hyena-happy.gif

They get a bad rap because of didney portraying them as vicious kill stealing scavangers, when in fact a majority of what people believe about hyenas is actually wrong.

Edited by Chaser Zaks
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, So Whimsy said:

There is always room for doubt. Something I always take into consideration. 

You can be sure; you just can't be 100% certain. That's where the benefit of the doubt comes into play. Yes, "benefit of the doubt" is the correct phrase, not "benefit of doubt". That one little three letter word completely changes the meaning of the phrase.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/give-someone-the-benefit-of-the-doubt

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/the benefit of the doubt#:~:text=Definition of the benefit of,what he says for now.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Chaser Zaks said:

Hyenas did nothing wrong.

hyena-happy.gif

They get a bad rap because of didney portraying them as vicious kill stealing scavangers, when in fact a majority of what people believe about hyenas is actually wrong.

Same applies to wolves. 

Welcome to the pack.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 799 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.