Cat meows as ambient noise (in Newbrooke)...

Kayako Mayako

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 844 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I hope we get some new sounds. SL has an owl sound and a seagull sound that are reused so much as to be a cliche.

Useful trick, from drum machines: If you have a repetitive sound, have three or four different versions. Play one at random, but never the same one twice in succession. I have a weathervane which does this. As the wind changes, it squeaks a bit as it moves, but never the same squeak twice in a row. This makes it sound much less repetitive.

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, animats said:

I hope we get some new sounds. SL has an owl sound and a seagull sound that are reused so much as to be a cliche.

Useful trick, from drum machines: If you have a repetitive sound, have three or four different versions. Play one at random, but never the same one twice in succession. I have a weathervane which does this. As the wind changes, it squeaks a bit as it moves, but never the same squeak twice in a row. This makes it sound much less repetitive.

Long ago, when I had a lighthouse on the water, I made a buoy that played seagull, wave, and bell sounds, each on different prims. Each prim pulled randomly from a little library of ten sound files.

The wave sound was different, and implemented with two prims. Each prim pulled from identical lists of 10 second sound files, but skewed in time by five seconds. Each sound file ramped up in volume during the first half, down during the second. When overlapped, the resulting output sound level was fairly constant, with no discernible joints. You could listen to the surf for hours and never detect repetition, or even any particular wave sequence.

• Like 5

Yes, the da!@ hooting owls are a really cliche sound in SL.

And yes, IRL you only hear an owl about once a week in the evening in even the woodsiest suburb (and let's face it, Newbrooke is a suburb).

And yes, it seems really weird to hear the tasteful, quiet traffic noises along with hoots that must be from a barred owl that's about 4 feet high.  I mean, the owls are LOUD, compared to the traffic.

Please, @Garden Mole, save us from these rampant chordates!

One of the owl sounds could be replaced with a soft whooshing noise and squeak of a mouse or vole being whisked away, which is just about all you hear from most owls in my neck of the woods.  They are stealthy hunters, who do not sit in one's parking strip trees hooting their heads off.

Of course, if you could arrange for the monster huge owl to whisk away the yowling cats, it might be worth keeping them!

• Haha 5

The cacophony of cats, dogs, birds and noisy traffic in Newbrooke is kind of driving me crazy. I have used the search feature in Firestorm to try to block certain sound files, but they just don't seem to go away. I have picked up two houses among the new regions, a 1024 parcel in Seldom Scene along the south edge of the sim and a 512 parcel in Free Will along the south edge of the community area. I don't hear a lot of traffic noise on the larger parcel but I hear vehicles at regular intervals when on the smaller parcel; one of the vehicles makes a noise like it's grinding gears and the muffler is dragging on the ground. I can just hear the water from the lake/pools around the community area, along with waterfowl (ducks and geese) sounds which is all that is keeping me from restricting sounds to my own parcels. (I'm probably going to drop one or both of the parcels, haven't decided yet.)

I also have an ocean-side Vic and a log home that is next to a pond, both have amazing water sounds and appropriate other wildlife sounds which I find so soothing and appealing. 

I really wish there was an easier way to control our personal interaction with the soundscape in SL, but I understand that the moles are trying to create "atmosphere."

(Also for those wanting wolves in log home areas, you'd be more likely to see coyotes in areas that populated. Coyotes don't so much howl as yip and yap. We would also realistically see deer wandering around eating all our flower and vegetable gardens lol.)

(Also regarding the fantasy home areas, one of the things that weirds me out there is the sound of some large-ish creature that is rushing upon me all of a sudden, it makes me subconsciously want to reach for a weapon to defend myself.)

Edited by Beryl Greenacre
grammar, oops
  • Like 2

@Beryl Greenacre and Everyone,

I fear I took the easy way out/away from the continuous pensive cat sound at my first Newbrooke house = I changed houses.  Now the sounds in and around my Newbrooke house are very pleasing.  Yay!  Still, I did endeavor to find all of the ambient sounds around my current house and there are a whopping 43 sounds nearby!  Further, when I used the "Show Beacon" command to find the sounds, the sound emitters look like spiders in the trees (see the image labeled #4 in the attached composite picture).  Finally, if I am correct, all of the offending sounds need to be identified and then individually "Blacklisted" (but I will defer to @Nika Talaj and/or @Blush Bravin to confirm the procedure for silencing offending sounds). 

Again, my approach -- via changing houses -- was easy (and my new lot is brilliant)!  -- Kayako

Find Sounds via Firestorm Viewer.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

One of the owl sounds could be replaced with a soft whooshing noise and squeak of a mouse or vole being whisked away, which is just about all you hear from most owls in my neck of the woods.  They are stealthy hunters, who do not sit in one's parking strip trees hooting their heads off.

I've heard that sound and seen little tracks in the snow ending at the subtle imprint of "angel wings".

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Kayako Mayako said:

@Beryl Greenacre and Everyone,

I fear I took the easy way out/away from the continuous pensive cat sound at my first Newbrooke house = I changed houses.  Now the sounds in and around my Newbrooke house are very pleasing.  Yay!  Still, I did endeavor to find all of the ambient sounds around my current house and there are a whopping 43 sounds nearby!  Further, when I used the "Show Beacon" command to find the sounds, the sound emitters look like spiders in the trees (see the image labeled #4 in the attached composite picture).  Finally, if I am correct, all of the offending sounds need to be identified and then individually "Blacklisted" (but I will defer to @Nika Talaj and/or @Blush Bravin to confirm the procedure for silencing offending sounds). 

Again, my approach -- via changing houses -- was easy (and my new lot is brilliant)!  -- Kayak

If you expand the "Name" field you can tell exactly which sounds are which.  I have (at least temporarily) blocked the Urban Traffic Ambiance sound box. Ctrl/Alt/T to turn transparency on and off may help some folks with picking out the specific offending sound box.

32401451_Newbrookesounds2.thumb.JPG.10d379713c1bd8c4e99379f8219a7b8b.JPG1203557508_carsounds.thumb.JPG.a5f73114ba6764ac0825f0e84003794a.JPG

Edited by Leora Greenwood
typos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

@Kayako MayakoI tend to agree with your approach of moving to find sounds I like, which is why I may just give up on Newbrooke as much as I like the style of homes, the neighborhood and the community center. The amount of time I spend now in SL is rather limited due to real life and commitments in other mmo's, and I'd really rather just login and enjoy myself rather than spend hours tracking down tiny invisible sound boxes (it seems like they're making them smaller than they used to) to defeat yowling amorous felines and phantom noisy vehicles. In another SLife I would have made lemonade out of lemons and dressed up and RP'd as a traffic cop looking for speeding drivers to ticket outside my Newbrook property; alas, not now, too many other things to do. 

• Like 1

One of the things I like best about Newbrooke are the sounds. I find them immersive and calming actually. But if you are so bothered by them, why not just limit sounds to your parcel? Then you can put whatever sound effects you like best in your own parcel.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

One of the things I like best about Newbrooke are the sounds. I find them immersive and calming actually. But if you are so bothered by them, why not just limit sounds to your parcel? Then you can put whatever sound effects you like best in your own parcel.

I like the water and the water fowl sounds a lot, those are what I sought out the specific 512 parcel for in fact. Believe me, I have thought about limiting the sounds to my own parcel but I want to hear those geese and ducks. I do think I have managed to block enough of the cats, dogs and traffic sounds that I didn't like - one thing I found was that logging out after blocking a sound box made it work fully. I think I was blocking the sounds and they were still triggering until I logged out. 

I'm still not sure what I'll do, I have too many Linden Homes right now for the amount of time I use them, I feel like a hoarder. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 844 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.