Why do I choose Second Life over Meta?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 415 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

10 minutes ago, Heathcliff Harbrough said:

Facebook and security, nah, and here is why. My account was hacked (FB Isis Hack) on January 6, 2023. Using a unique long password I renew every month with 2FA enabled. I received strange activity notification by email and text message, meaning Facebook recognized it, the platform allowed the hacker to enter my account and try to financial destroy me.

Today, hacked FB pages are impersonating Meta and Facebook exploiting the Ad Network system to advertise scam links. Knowing that the hacked pages still have the blue verification badge.

Why everyone needs to delete Fakebook.

• Like 2

I think Meta is going down the drain faster than they can count the money they are losing.

Good riddance,  I say!   Not interested in the least! 

Facebook has it's uses,  but if something better comes along - I'd switch in a heartbeat!

Edited by Cali Souther
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Heathcliff Harbrough said:

Facebook and security, nah, and here is why. My account was hacked (FB Isis Hack) on January 6, 2023. Using a unique long password I renew every month with 2FA enabled. I received strange activity notification by email and text message, meaning Facebook recognized it, the platform allowed the hacker to enter my account and try to financial destroy me.

Today, hacked FB pages are impersonating Meta and Facebook exploiting the Ad Network system to advertise scam links. Knowing that the hacked pages still have the blue verification badge.

I didn't say they were secure. I said they offer that service.

I do avoid FB and Google logins and recommend people avoid them if there is any alternative.

• Like 1

This just in (2 days ago): Business Insider has declared the big M Metataverse to be clinically dead. Long live the Metaverse.

645564e502f891001861ad90.thumb.webp.a9ade0483ff58c84e5278a137c4291a3.webp

The capital-M Metaverse, a descendant of the 1982 movie "Tron" and the 2003 video game "Second Life," was born in 2021 when Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg changed the name of his trillion-dollar company to Meta. After a much-heralded debut, the Metaverse became the obsession of the tech world and a quick hack to win over Wall Street investors. The hype could not save the Metaverse, however, and a lack of coherent vision for the product ultimately led to its decline. Once the tech industry turned to a new, more promising trend — generative AI — the fate of the Metaverse was sealed. The Metaverse is now headed to the tech industry's graveyard of failed ideas.

https://www.businessinsider.com/metaverse-dead-obituary-facebook-mark-zuckerberg-tech-fad-ai-chatgpt-2023-5

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

This just in (2 days ago): Business Insider has declared the big M Metataverse to be clinically dead. Long live the Metaverse.

645564e502f891001861ad90.thumb.webp.a9ade0483ff58c84e5278a137c4291a3.webp

https://www.businessinsider.com/metaverse-dead-obituary-facebook-mark-zuckerberg-tech-fad-ai-chatgpt-2023-5

I heard this perhaps almost a month ago, but it did not sound so "official". 

ETA: Second Life is only mentioned in the context of "2003", once.  No mention of it still existing and thriving. Instead:

"Decentraland, the most well-funded, decentralized, crypto-based Metaverse product (effectively a wonky online world you can "walk" around), only had around 38 daily active users in its "$1.3 billion ecosystem." Decentraland would dispute this number, claiming that it had 8,000 daily active users — but that's still only a fraction of the number of people playing large online games like "Fortnite." Meta's much-heralded efforts similarly struggled: By October 2022, Mashable reported that Horizon Worlds had less than 200,000 monthly active users — dramatically short of the 500,000 target Meta had set for the end of 2022. The Wall Street Journal reported that only about 9% of user-created worlds were visited by more than 50 players, and The Verge said that it was so buggy that even Meta employees eschewed it. Despite the might of a then-trillion-dollar company, Meta could not convince people to use the product it had staked its future on."

Edited by Love Zhaoying

On 5/10/2023 at 4:34 PM, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

The problem with journalists (in this case a PR CEO) like these is they always seem to confuse what the metaverse is with the majority believing it is only a facebook thing. Yes, Facebooks Metaverse is DOA, but everyone knew this would be the case as they had no substantial platform or tech developed to even show upon their declaration of them being "the leader of the metaverse". All they had was images, a plan and an already half baked, old, dead game they tried to adapt to a form of future metaverse.

Business insider claiming that the metaverse is dead is a little premature and shows lack of knowledge of other leaders in the field that have plodded along with their strategy with true platform ability. These include epic's fortnite and unreal engine, minecraft, roblox, vrchat etc.

Whilst Second Life is slowly plodding along the one that everyone including these so called tech journalists and even users here forget is epic.

For example, their recent updates to their unreal engine, release of content creation and world creation using the fortnite engine, and most recently announced just this year their shared marketplace for content creation that is in many ways similar to Second Life's marketplace for inworld creation. These updates are all geared towards their metaverse vision and Tim Sweeney is adamant to continue with it and being successful. 

The metaverse was never as what Meta was claiming it to be. The metaverse is a combination of a digital presence of people engaging in activities online that predominantly revolve around a social environment such as games or hangouts. Not a virtual office or meeting place that Meta was trying to push to drive sales of their oculus rift vr goggles. Second Life also fails to realise this, continuing to push their office options.

So yes, Meta's version of the metaverse failed, but that didn't even get started and was a pipedream of a company now on the endangered species list. Epic on the other hand, like other versions such as roblox etc mentioned earlier, are full steam ahead and second life is... well, plodding slowly along as it always has.

Even the notion that AI is replacing the metaverse is absurd as people are using it in a manner to build the metaverse. Take for instance the idea of using AI to dynamical create in world environments with content based on a select intention, quests that use ai to change the world dynamically. Zones generated on users likes, ideas, thoughts, etc.

This is Epics response to this so called business insider article declaring the metaverse dead.

Epic CEO mocks ‘metaverse is dead’ notion — 600M coming to the ‘wake’ (cointelegraph.com)

Edited by Drayke Newall
  • Like 4

Have been a resident of Second Life since October 2007, which makes me a senior. 

I tried some other virtual world, forgot which, didn't do a thing for me. 

Second Life started before Facebook, and you know what, we have always had legs!! 

IMHO, this so-called "meta-verse" is a poor attempt. Not even ready for prime time. Never mind that I despise Facebook.

I have devoted my energy and time to our land in Second Life. Very happy with our half parcel designed on less than 10,000 prims. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Regor Romano said:

Have been a resident of Second Life since October 2007, which makes me a senior. 

I tried some other virtual world, forgot which, didn't do a thing for me. 

Second Life started before Facebook, and you know what, we have always had legs!! 

IMHO, this so-called "meta-verse" is a poor attempt. Not even ready for prime time. Never mind that I despise Facebook.

I have devoted my energy and time to our land in Second Life. Very happy with our half parcel designed on less than 10,000 prims. 

That's so cool, i'm from 2009

No one is mentioning the real dagger in Facebooks failure: Meta was plain and simple a copy of a patented system used by Utherverse. And the guy behind Utherverse ain't a fool, he is the inventor of the annoying pop-up screens with links to other sites. Utherverse is the 3d version of it and is about the same age as Second Life. They are about to roll out phase 3, which is made on the Unity Engine and more realistic than Metaverse ever would be.

Seems to me that Metaverses (hate the term)/Virtual Worlds can only really succeed with a lot of freedom for the users.

Meta/Facebook obviously cannot really offer this, they have advertisers etc to worry about and most of the content that would keep people coming back is pretty repellent as far as advertisers are concerned.

SL has a distinct advantage in how old it is here, while the user base is small in comparison they're very accustomed to spending real money on it. It's too expensive imo and this is limiting new users but as it stands it can survive on subscription payments and its relatively developed faux-economy, it doesn't have to do much content moderation to appease advertisers and that is what keeps the user base interested.

I can see the dilemma though, the route to strong growth may seem obvious: lower prices and make up the difference with advertisers/commercial partners but I think LL probably know by now that this would mean taking away freedoms which are the key reason why their platform is still with us.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 415 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.