crashing restarting

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 879 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am almost afraid to even post in here, but I have also been crashing out of Firestorm.  First it freezes, then the screen goes white, no controls work (including task manager to close Firestorm and even the mouse), then my entire computer decides to blue screen and restart.  It's been happening for a few months sometimes once a week and sometimes twice daily.  The only thing that has changed is I now have nice fiber connection speeds, but I can no longer hook directly to it and have to use wifi.  This is apparently not what your issue was though.  I'm glad you sorted it.

Sincerely,

pissy groaning whiny snitty little resident

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

I am almost afraid to even post in here, but I have also been crashing out of Firestorm.  First it freezes, then the screen goes white, no controls work (including task manager to close Firestorm and even the mouse), then my entire computer decides to blue screen and restart.  It's been happening for a few months sometimes once a week and sometimes twice daily.  The only thing that has changed is I now have nice fiber connection speeds, but I can no longer hook directly to it and have to use wifi.  This is apparently not what your issue was though.  I'm glad you sorted it.

Sincerely,

As @Arduenn Schwartzmanasked, does this also happen with the official viewer?

10 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

As @Arduenn Schwartzmanasked, does this also happen with the official viewer?

I don't remember the last time I used it.  A decade ago, maybe?  I would have to download it and give it a try.  Actually I haven't checked to see if I have the latest version of Firestorm either.  I'll check it out and give it a week to see if I crash in the official viewer, as well.

1 hour ago, AugustVonHelson said:

every time I log into SL with Firestorm it crashes, computer restarts. i soon will have to leave SL it is so annoying. can anyone give me a straight answer how to fix this?

please no smart ass cracks. another reason to leave, no one here is ever helpful,  just rage, that's all i get, rage. 

that's all the forum is, same old spammers, same old whiners, same old complainers.

bless the blocking ability ^^

• Like 1

15 hours ago, AugustVonHelson said:

my new graphics card is out for delivery so issue is solved but the pissy groaning whiny snitty little residents are still here and will never leave so i may never come back to sl.

I am so glad that you have, at last, found the root cause of your issue. A graphics card is coming, great. Don't forget to also upgrade your power supply though too or your entire computer may go 'bang'. 

And now you know for sure that it wasn't anything any of your revengeful exes tried to do to nobble your computer. 

Edited by Marigold Devin
I wrote "to", it should have been "too".
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Sincerely,

I used to get this a lot, mostly when I had my inworld graphics/draw distance set too high. My poor old boat of a computer was protesting, the blue screen of death telling me I'd overloaded it. I got it a new graphics card and banged in a bit more memory. Then it went 'bang' and I had to get someone in to help me, and they diagnosed I hadn't upgraded the power supply after upgrading the bits and pieces! That particular computer still works, but it's Vista, and I can no longer access Second Life with it, although I could while the old Phoenix viewer was available. 

Edited by Marigold Devin

21 hours ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

then my entire computer decides to blue screen and restart.  It's been happening for a few months sometimes once a week and sometimes twice daily. 

This was driving me nuts. I thought it was SL but one I think it was last week. I booted up my windows 10 computer and went to Edge and then youtubes website then bam blue screen of death. I was like okay is it edge? I started researching and lots odd fixes from people online and then I was like okay im sure it's not that serious.. this started happening around Oct 2021. Then I remembered going to the Nvidia website to get the driver for my video card there around that time vs the driver windows auto found for it.

How I fixed mine was to go to windows search / search control pannel / in control pannel went to programs and uninstalled all the nvidia programs / go back to control pannel click device manager / click the display adapters and right click the Nvidia under that and click uninstall device / reboot computer / screen will be bit wonky don't panic / click start button and then the little gear and then click update and security and click check for updates and my Nvidia driver popped up and installed and wala have not had a blue screen of death ever since. Been about 2 weeks crash free. 

Not sure if it's the nvidia software was freaking out all the windows updating crap?

Sorry your having the problems. I know exactly how you feel hope this helps. 

PS: (edit) I use the official viewer always from https://www.secondlife.com 

Edited by Paulsian
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Paulsian said:

This was driving me nuts. I thought it was SL but one I think it was last week. I booted up my windows 10 computer and went to Edge and then youtubes website then bam blue screen of death. I was like okay is it edge? I started researching and lots odd fixes from people online and then I was like okay im sure it's not that serious.. this started happening around Oct 2021. Then I remembered going to the Nvidia website to get the driver for my video card there around that time vs the driver windows auto found for it.

How I fixed mine was to go to windows search / search control pannel / in control pannel went to programs and uninstalled all the nvidia programs / go back to control pannel click device manager / click the display adapters and right click the Nvidia under that and click uninstall device / reboot computer / screen will be bit wonky don't panic / click start button and then the little gear and then click update and security and click check for updates and my Nvidia driver popped up and installed and wala have not had a blue screen of death ever since. Been about 2 weeks crash free. 

Not sure if it's the nvidia software was freaking out all the windows updating crap?

Sorry your having the problems. I know exactly how you feel hope this helps. 

PS: (edit) I use the official viewer always from https://www.secondlife.com 

In my own (technology impaired) head I did consider the driver updates but couldn't be arsed to do much about it.  It is now happening just often enough to be annoying.  Thank you for this advice.  I will try it first, then download the official viewer if it's still a problem.  

I generally keep my graphics settings pretty low and increase them for the occasional photo or increasing draw distance to see if I like the neighborhood while house hopping.  I am not sure if there is a pattern that correlates that increase to when I crash. I should really pay more attention.

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Oh, Marigold! Upgrade that Vista dinosaur. ANY later version of windows would be better.

I bet some of you wonder how I even manage to dress myself in the mornings! 

I've got two other computers on the go too - Windows 10 - the Vista machine lives in the back bedroom at my brother's house, for sentimental reasons. It was the first computer I logged into Second Life with. How though is a miracle. Only one and a half Gb of RAM, and don't get me started on the graphics card it originally had. But I knew bog all about computers at that point, wasn't even interested in them, tried to avoid using them, but realised that I had to move with the times. 

Did someone give me a truth drug?

Shut up Marigold! 

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 879 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.