Herding people

cunomar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 916 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

An idle thought and just a suggestion that someone else might elaborate on .

But as i often feel SL is too big and both traffic and maps are rather pointless guides on where to go I long ago resolved to let links seen in profile favourites dictate my wandering which usually sends me to an empty sim , if it still exists .

Shrugs , it didn't take me long to work out most SL parties and stuff begin at 2am my RL time so i save the landmark thinking maybe i will return for a look on a sleepless night , and then promptly forget about it .

So , might in world time zones provide an innocuous vehicle to guide users to populated areas ?

And because clubs etc are mainly money pits, why would a club owner bother for other time zones than the one they live in themselves.
Why would I "work" way after my midnight and early mornings to cater the east and west coast of America as a European (if I had a club) during their prime time?

Having a club should be fun, not work.
I make more when I decide to be a paper boy or burger flipper in RL.

• Like 3

There are plenty of clubs with events in the european timeframe. The problem is less timezones and more that there's no real way to find a new club except getting lucky with search. Which I suspect you'd still need to do with in-world timezones too, because lots of people party at night... :P

1 hour ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

The thread title reminds me of attending parties at a RL friend's house. She owned two border collies and nobody but she and I seemed to notice that those two little devils routinely herded guests into fairly tight huddles. It was both adorable and hilarious.

This thread title brought back memories of this commercial: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I wasn't thinking of real time zones .

For me at 11pm there is about double the number online compared to when i login at 7am , which really doesn't make any difference to me .

The vastness of SL for a new player searching for a crowd could be halved if it had two time zones .

Even the busiest sims are empty half the time while regulars sleep .

7 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

The thread title reminds me of attending parties at a RL friend's house. She owned two border collies and nobody but she and I seemed to notice that those two little devils routinely herded guests into fairly tight huddles. It was both adorable and hilarious.

I provided a home for a Blue Heeler named “Jake” who did the same thing when my children were small. I loved that little dog 🙂

• Like 1

Destinations and "Hot now" (or whatever it is called) tab under it meant to help finding where people are now. 

There are a few music venues and hangouts that have quite a few people around the clock. 

If I want to check a place on a sleepless night (my TZ is SLT+11, so Europe), I found that putting operating time in the landmark name helps me to remember. I have a folder with lms like "Interesting club, 4-10pm SLT". Joining their group and getting notices doesn't help at all, I just get irritated when I log on and see bunch of events I have missed. 

And omg yes. My ex had a collie, and the dog was herding us and our guests all the time. You could see his anxiety if people were in different rooms he couldn't observe at the same time and rlthe sense of relief and happiness dog had when we all were clustered neatly. It was adorable. 

Yeah i'm alright jack so why make things easier for new players .

They can always use the destination guide to find what seems to be twenty afk's listening to SL's number one track "don't forget to tip the DJ" interspersed with the occasional "ooh i love this song" , which is sure to encourage them to invest cash in the game .

I mean its not like there's several million online radio stations that they dont even have to login to that offer the same entertainment for free is it now 🙄

There are plenty of clubs with European ownership which are active in Euro-friendly timezones. Shenanigans, Club CANUK, Blarney Stone in Dublin, Madame Lalas and the Subway at London City. I mean, London City is probably THE busiest place in the entirety of SL, it's in the New Residents listings and it's so easy to find that most newbies end up there unintentionally anyway, sooner or later.  And thats not even counting the busy all-day clubs that aren't EU-owned, like Muddy's, Ohana, Junkyard Blues, Wet Willies and so on.

The problem is not lack of events in Euro-friendly timezones. The problem is that the official event listings suck so much that hardly any club uses them and they are just full of adult stuff. This means that you need to know the club exists first, so that you can join the club's own notice groups. So you're better off searching places first, not events. Put UK or EU or some other EU county names in your search terms. 

The official events listings only suck *because* regular clubs aren't using them. If everyone used them, they wouldn't suck any more.

34 minutes ago, cunomar said:

Yeah i'm alright jack so why make things easier for new players .

They can always use the destination guide to find what seems to be twenty afk's listening to SL's number one track "don't forget to tip the DJ" interspersed with the occasional "ooh i love this song" , which is sure to encourage them to invest cash in the game .

I mean its not like there's several million online radio stations that they dont even have to login to that offer the same entertainment for free is it now 🙄

That's an entirely different issue not related to timezone. 99% of non-adult and non-shopping activities in SL are club events. If clubbing, shopping or adult activity is not your thing, then you're going to have a MUCH harder time finding something to do no matter what timezone you live in. The reason there's not as much of the other stuff is because not many people can afford to run things that have no means of income.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Maitimo said:

That's an entirely different issue not related to timezone. 99% of non-adult and non-shopping activities in SL are club events. If clubbing, shopping or adult activity is not your thing, then you're going to have a MUCH harder time finding something to do no matter what timezone you live in.

This is true.

The reason there's not as much of the other stuff is because not many people can afford to run things that have no means of income.

This is true and not true. It depends on what the "stuff" is. Either that or other people need to stop saying it's easy to make money in SL. Not everything requires a big building. Or even a building at all. And with Marketplace now, you don't even need land to sell. And don't forget, not all successful businesses are retail, alcohol or sex oriented.

I must say that if most people in SL are only interested in clubbing, shopping and slex, they lead very dull, repetitive lives (imo). There is so much more to SL and real life than those 3 monotonous and mundane things. I will never understand why people limit themselves like that and then, when confronted, they try to force their self imposed limitations on others.

I'm not saying that is what you are doing. I just see a lot more of what is really happening because I've been pushed to the outside, ostracized, for well over a decade in SL. So I watch and learn about people and more often than I want to admit, I'm thankful I have been ostracized at times.

Humans. Can't live with them and can't live without them.

1 hour ago, Bree Giffen said:

The answer is for SL to have a NEXUS. Since everyone who enters SL will first appear at the nexus you can ask people where they're headed and go with them to a place that's active. 

I have no desire to have to deal with a bunch of strangers when I first log in. I'd much rather continue logging in on my parcel so I can check messages, notices, etc BEFORE I ever engage with others. 

You keep pushing this idea of forcing everyone to log in at the same place. Most people do not want that. 

You should have tried to go to the FS anniversary/Halloween party. Four sims crammed full and there was barely room to move. The lag was horrendous. I crashed with a GTX 1660 that should have been able to handle it with ease.

I'm sorry but your idea is a sure fire way to kill SL in a heartbeat.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I have no desire to have to deal with a bunch of strangers when I first log in. I'd much rather continue logging in on my parcel so I can check messages, notices, etc BEFORE I ever engage with others. 

You keep pushing this idea of forcing everyone to log in at the same place. Most people do not want that. 

You should have tried to go to the FS anniversary/Halloween party. Four sims crammed full and there was barely room to move. The lag was horrendous. I crashed with a GTX 1660 that should have been able to handle it with ease.

I'm sorry but your idea is a sure fire way to kill SL in a heartbeat.

That's as bad as getting logged into a hub because your home is offline.  Ruins my whole day!

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 916 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.