Media Influence, Stereotypes, And RL/SL Comparisons

Luna Bliss

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1066 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, Flook Somerset said:

Yes, but the balance of things like amino acids differs between plants & animals; another animal would have a more similar mix to humans than plants. In practice the best sources are what your species have evolved to eat. 

And that's why we are omnivore. 

Btw with that tough we should eat humans as they are exactly the same things what we need. 

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/4755-gout

You are also more likely to develop gout if you:

• Consume a diet high in animal proteins
Edited by Zzevir

3 hours ago, xLunaea said:

things that are not attune with nature are not things we should permit our bodies to. And that should be a given fact, but again... not many people are aware of this either.

please explain a bit more.. you'r typing this on a thing that's not nature either...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, xLunaea said:

Things that are not attune with nature are not things we should permit our bodies to. And that should be a given fact, but again... not many people are aware of this either.

So what you say artificial heart valve are bad things.  As it's artificial.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_heart_valve

Also dialysis is not natural as they drain the blood then pump it thru a machine and then put it back what is not natural. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dialysis

But Cyanide 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanide

Arsenic

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arsenic

And the highly carcinogenic radon gas are fine. And we should enjoy them. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radon

• Like 3

11 hours ago, xLunaea said:

And I just want to say, smoking overall is not a good thing. A better stress/depressant-reliever is G Y M, and always will be.

If you exercise almost every day that you can, you will be rewarding yourself for the rest of your life.

Thanks for reminding me to go on that walk today   :)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:
23 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

In much of the media in the U.S. Brexit has been portrayed as having a very bad effect on the UK -- is that truly the case?

Screenshot_20211001-212956_Twitter.jpg

Yeah that's more like what I was seeing in a news report -- row after row of empty shelves in stores.  I mean it looked Apocalyptic. 

15 hours ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

But why is it that you make a topic in the forums, where there have been some who have disagreed with you.

Smoking issues were being discussed as off-topic subjects in two other threads. I didn't want the Pet Peeves thread to be locked due to the increasing off-topic posts about smoking and so created a dedicated thread to it (this one). A bit later Nalates brought the smoking issue topic from the How Does Your Avatar Look thread to a dedicated thread in General (which is now closed).

There's never been a consensus on the forum regarding how viewing smoking in the media affects us, and my creating this thread has nothing to do with others who share an opinion on either side of the debate.

15 hours ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

About media influences and stereotypes, that you berate them and tell them they are wrong? When some of us actually do work in media or have worked in media or in another field that pertains to this question and we kinda know what we are talking about. 

I'm not sure what you're referring to regarding your experience in media, but media influence (whether a result of deliberate manipulation due to advertising or a process occurring less deliberately acquired through socialization or life experience) relies primarily on Psychology & Sociology to understand the dynamics. It is the way our brains function which makes us susceptible to influences from the world around us -- Psychology frequently studies how our brains function an individual level, and Sociology paints a larger picture including how groups relate and influence our behavior. Physiology also plays a part (biology, chemical processes).

1,300 people die daily in the U.S. due to smoking-related disease. Apparently the problem is getting worse and smoking is being normalized again. 

This was an interesting find -- a group attempting to remedy the situation -- and it presents ways we can assist their efforts:

Truth Initiative -- Inspiring Lives Free From Smoking, Vaping & Nicotine
https://truthinitiative.org/research-resources/tobacco-pop-culture/why-smoking-still-being-glamorized-media-and-pop-culture

"Even as national smoking rates have declined to record lows, there has been a pervasive re-emergence of smoking imagery on screens, and research shows that higher exposure to some of this imagery makes youth and young adults twice as likely to start smoking. Glamorizing and re-normalizing smoking, and making it appear “cool,” could threaten the progress the U.S. has made in decreasing tobacco use, which kills 1,300 Americans every day and is still the country’s leading cause of preventable death and disease".

17 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Yeah that's more like what I was seeing in a news report -- row after row of empty shelves in stores.  I mean it looked Apocalyptic. 

I think it's regional. Where I am, we've had some shelf gaps in the last few months but not stripped bare like they were in March last year. A few times the fresh product aisles have been empty, usually late in the evening. The petrol situation is now OK here as well, although in some places pumps are still dry. Maybe people realised that if teachers couldn't get into work, homeschooling would have to restart.

I've not had decent satsumas since Brexit, though. I've stopped buying them, they're never fresh any more. Other produce is OK, but I buy fruit and veg from an independent greengrocer that has always sourced locally. 

Screenshot_20211002-075630_Twitter.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I think it's regional. Where I am, we've had some shelf gaps in the last few months but not stripped bare like they were in March last year. A few times the fresh product aisles have been empty, usually late in the evening. The petrol situation is now OK here as well, although in some places pumps are still dry. Maybe people realised that if teachers couldn't get into work, homeschooling would have to restart.

I've not had decent satsumas since Brexit, though. I've stopped buying them, they're never fresh any more. Other produce is OK, but I buy fruit and veg from an independent greengrocer that has always sourced locally. 

Screenshot_20211002-075630_Twitter.jpg

Glad it's at least not as bad as I first imagined via the media portrayal.

That cartoon cracks me up...

3 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

I'm not sure what you're referring to regarding your experience in media, but media influence (whether a result of deliberate manipulation due to advertising or a process occurring less deliberately acquired through socialization or life experience) relies primarily on Psychology & Sociology to understand the dynamics. It is the way our brains function which makes us susceptible to influences from the world around us -- Psychology frequently studies how our brains function an individual level, and Sociology paints a larger picture including how groups relate and influence our behavior. Physiology also plays a part (biology, chemical processes).

I have worked in media in high school. So I have some experience. 

7 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

"Even as national smoking rates have declined to record lows, there has been a pervasive re-emergence of smoking imagery on screens, and research shows that higher exposure to some of this imagery makes youth and young adults twice as likely to start smoking. Glamorizing and re-normalizing smoking, and making it appear “cool,” could threaten the progress the U.S. has made in decreasing tobacco use, which kills 1,300 Americans every day and is still the country’s leading cause of preventable death and disease".

Death is simply not preventable. They are still going to die, so what would you rather that they died of?

Edited by Arielle Popstar
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

I mean right now, the leading cause of death is COVID 19 related cases. 

Not really even close tbh. Covid at around 1 million is somewhat comparable to traffic fatalities but is a long way behind some others. Then too considering other medical problems are mostly involved with Covid deaths, there is the question whether those numbers reflect people who passed with Covid or of.  Link

responsive_large_webp_tdta3C-Br4g7A4voRb

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

We're used to a just-in-time delivery system.    Supermarkets are designed and stocked on that principle, and the shelves are supposed to be full all the time.    

They're having problems with deliveries at the moment, so that's leading to temporarily empty shelves when deliveries don't turn up as expected.     At present, it's no more than an inconvenience, which I'm remedying by using home delivery  rather than risk having a wasted ten minute walk to the supermarket, only to find they're out of half of what I want.   If I have to put up with some substitutions so I don't get exactly what I wanted,  that's hardly the end of the world and I can always send stuff back.

It's exacerbated by Brexit, certainly, and also Covid  has disrupted both tests and training for new HGV drivers to replace people leaving the the industry and also, because of particular Covid-related problems at the national Driver and Vehicle Licencing Agency, the re-issue of licences after they've been temporarily suspended for medical reasons.

However, the problem is world-wide:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Factories not producing as much or having to rotate their assembly lines due to labor shortages and/or not being able to get the stuff they need, problems getting things imported due to various supply chain issues overseas, shortage of truck drivers to haul stuff across the country and deliver to stores, overall pork shortage (and possibly other meat) -- all combine to create a heck of an issue keeping things stocked.  

Each time I go to the store, it is a new batch of stuff that is depleted, while many of the earlier items have finally been restocked.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:
23 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Death is simply not preventable. They are still going to die, so what would you rather that they died of?

Well I'd rather they live longer and get a chance to fulfill their 'bucket list' or see their child/grandchild grow up, hopefully dying in old age of natural causes we have no control over.

"Preventable causes of death are causes of death related to risk factors which could have been avoided"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preventable_causes_of_death

1 hour ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

The tigers. Can you imagine me on drugs? There are already more than enough people who do.

As a wannabe flâneuse, I've got to keep what little is left of my wits about me.

THC = building a hammock and watching tv all day ROFLMAO!!

Edited by Silent Mistwalker

I mean the only thing I can say that media seems to be influencing, is people buying every new body. And then using the same statements about said body. Whether it be Kupra, Ebody, or even other new bodies releasing. I feel like people can't think for themselves and lack any sort of individualism, when it comes to new stuff in SL.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1066 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.