Special symbols nickname

lastchancetop

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 995 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

From the Knowledge Base:

Allowed characters

In addition to letters and numbers, you can use the following characters in your display name:

• ' (apostrophe)
  • - (hyphen-minus)
  • . (full stop)
  • : (colon)
  • · (middle dot)
  • ֊ ֊  (Armenian hyphen)
  •  (Hebrew geresh)
  • ״ (Hebrew gershayim)
  •  (Tibetan tsheg)
  • - (hyphen)
  •  (right single quotation mark)
  •  (hyphenation point)
  • = (katakana-hiragana double hyphen)
  • · (katakana middle dot)

Residents have found that some random characters will also work, but the best idea is to avoid using them altogether.  They cannot be read reliably by many scripts (including ones in important things like vendors and rent boxes), or by human beings (like DJ's and other people who can get frustrated easily).

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 1

One useful tool is the Windows Character Map utility. Also, have a look at this Wikipedia page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unicode_characters. Note that not all Unicode characters are supported by everyone's systems.

But really, only use the Unicode characters that may be specific to your native language's alphabet that you need to show your chosen display name.

This and special fonts are why I can’t use “display name only” in the viewer when I DJ. It’s too handy to be able to see a legible, correct pronunciation of a guest’s name after the arrival HUD feeds me fancy punctuation and those added spaces cause a chunk of the name not to appear 🙂 I look around and read the system name before I try to pronounce “::-+$$$Fu” :—D

image.gif

Hate 'em. Use 'em and to me your name is either your username or - if I'm feeling uncharitable - "Mr/Ms Gobbledi*****"

Guess the forum filters pick up Golf Oscar Oscar Kilo as a racial slur against Vietnamese even if its part of a word :P Well, since it WASNT that, I aint changing it.

Edited by Da5id Weatherwax

1 hour ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

And they get pissed if you call them by their system name if you can't read the gobbledy*****

The people I find really annoying are the ones who insist on using system names for avatars with display names with no special characters in them.

Edited by Lyssa Greymoon
  • Like 1

Display names are on by default. The people who don’t know about them are the ones running around with the terrible name they made when they signed up. People who aren’t seeing them definitely know about them and turned them off on purpose. IMO, even if I hated Unicode bling names, I’d leave display names on because usernames are the worst.

if someone uses usernames, I assume they’re a bot. There’s my pettiness. 

As a small sample of one,  I can say that I have used my username since Day One (admittedly well before display names were an option). I've never felt a need for a display name. I kinda like what I have. 🙂

Oh,  and I am not a bot.

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Odaks said:

But, as someone once said (forget who, sorry), "all the cool kids are doing it"!

That was long ago. It's still ok if the name is readbable or the namee doesnt mind being called by stupid nicknames but cool? Nope!

Genuine non-English display names, however, that's a completely different story.

58 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

As a small sample of one,  I can say that I have used my username since Day One (admittedly well before display names were an option). I've never felt a need for a display name. I kinda like what I have. 🙂

Oh,  and I am not a bot.

Totally likewise - Like yourself, when I signed up you had to pick from a list of surnames and then find a first name that wasn't taken with it. I wanted to use my real first name but, predictably, both "Dave" and "David" were already taken with any surname I fancied. Hence the 5 which can be read as a Roman V :)

52 minutes ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

By using usernames, I meant when referring to other players by their usernames. I guess that could be read either way, sorry.

Yeah, if I’d been able to get “Loon” I’d never change it either.

😎  There are only a handful of us Loons around still -- a proud and creative clan.  Having posted my kneejerk response, I see that I really did take your comment the wrong way, for which I too apologize.  As I think about it now, though, ..... I still hang with a group of about a dozen friends who all came into SL in the last months of 2006 and the first months of 2007, all of whom still use the usernames we chose at the time and none of whom has ever used a display name.  As a result, we always refer to each other by username.  ( And none of us is a bot. We're just old fogeys. )

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

😎  There are only a handful of us Loons around still -- a proud and creative clan.  Having posted my kneejerk response, I see that I really did take your comment the wrong way, for which I too apologize.  As I think about it now, though, ..... I still hang with a group of about a dozen friends who all came into SL in the last months of 2006 and the first months of 2007, all of whom still use the usernames we chose at the time and none of whom has ever used a display name.  As a result, we always refer to each other by username.  ( And none of us is a bot. We're just old fogeys. )

And I think I only saw 1 or 2 Zehetbauer's around. Most common name I've seen in world was "Voom."

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 995 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.