Does Second Life plan to get into NFTs ?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 932 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Apologies in advance, but just sometimes it's either pull your hair out or say something, so...

I've read through this thread and to be fair I'm pretty incredulous at the lack of knowledge and foresight displayed here. I've seen really basic misunderstanding and even basic arithmetical mistakes lauded as wisdom.

Seriously, if you have a vested interest and protectionist agenda, maybe get a bit more informed so that your "position" isn't quite so easily dismissed by people who are paying attention.

Anyway, you're all going to do what you do and cling on to whatever misconceptions let you sleep soundly in your beds; but in the words of the great Bob Dylan:

"don't criticize
What you can't understand
Your sons and your daughters
Are beyond your command
Your old road is rapidly agin'
Please get out of the new one
If you can't lend your hand
For the times they are a-changin'"

• Haha 1

I'd forgotten about this thread a long time ago, but I see there's still appetite for trashing skeptics as Luddites, and I hate to miss all the fun.

On 11/24/2021 at 5:56 PM, Phunkstein said:

I wont even get into the benefits of DAO.

This reminds me how it seems every crypto-denominated market invariably devolves to pure speculation. That's kinda the whole point of NFTs, but even DAOs (which could in theory be vastly more culturally significant than NFTs) seem destined to fall victim to frenzied Greater Fool Theory investing: "Crypto Investors Wanted To Buy The Constitution. Instead, They Birthed Another Hyped-Up Meme Coin" (Forbes)

The ETH "gas" fees that made refunds so problematic for the Constitution DAO are also problems for NFTs. Until there emerge distributed ledgers orders of magnitude more efficient than the current blockchain-based systems, these applications will be limited to artisan scale—the polar opposite of microtransactions. 

If only this stuff weren't so primitive, one possible function of NFTs might indeed have utility in SL: the ability to charge a royalty on each subsequent transfer of an asset. If this could ever approach anything like SL scale, creators could mint transferable, no-copy items and take a cut of every future sale in perpetuity. (I'm not sure how much actual appeal that would have, but it seems intriguingly different from an "app store" economy.)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

This reminds me how it seems every crypto-denominated market invariably devolves to pure speculation.

That's what grinds me about the crypto world. It's become all make-money-fast, money laundering, tax evasion, or Ponzi schemes. The criminal use cases have pushed out the legit ones. Originally Bitcoin was supposed to be a convenient medium of exchange for online transactions. Nobody does that much any more.

I was looking into NFT technology as a way to get unique object portability between Second Life and the various Open Simulator grids. A script that crosschecks with the blockchain would prevent rezzing a no-copy object in two different grids. People could have duplicate detectors which checked nearby objects for being properly registered on the blockchain. It's technically possible. But NFT projects are so scammy that it's not worth the trouble to do something legit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, animats said:

That's what grinds me about the crypto world. It's become all make-money-fast, money laundering, tax evasion, or Ponzi schemes. The criminal use cases have pushed out the legit ones. Originally Bitcoin was supposed to be a convenient medium of exchange for online transactions. Nobody does that much any more.

I was looking into NFT technology as a way to get unique object portability between Second Life and the various Open Simulator grids. A script that crosschecks with the blockchain would prevent rezzing a no-copy object in two different grids. People could have duplicate detectors which checked nearby objects for being properly registered on the blockchain. It's technically possible. But NFT projects are so scammy that it's not worth the trouble to do something legit.

The technology is compelling.  What most people are using it for is as you described.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, animats said:

But NFT projects are so scammy that it's not worth the trouble to do something legit.

Don't forget the fees required to mint .. doesn't matter how it can be used, no one is going to use when it costs between $50 and $200 in gas fees for each and every copy sold and comes with a tangible carbon foot print.

Sure, it doesn't have to be done on ETH, but if we've leant anything from crypto so far, it's that you can't trust the banker.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Aishagain said:

I was quite prepared to think that NFTs and SL would never meet.  Until this:

This time my ability to communicate is quite inadequate.

Is this all it takes now to get a full on linden love in going?

Blatantly offer up a crypto scam and hawk it in SL.

The ‘Universe v2’ NFT collection consists of 9,998 robots (4,999 Onerions and 4,999 Zerotians) minted on the Solana network, each robot with a unique combination of attributes. We are launching our whitelist registration on 4th Dec at 12.00pm UTC, limited to 1,500 slots with max 4 NFTs per slot, which gives registrants access to our PreSale Round 1 mint at only SOL1.35 (roughly USD285). Presale Round 1 mint will start once all whitelist slots are taken, followed by PreSale Round 2 mint, limited to 3,000 NFTs at SOL1.35 still. The last minting stage will be Public Minting at SOL2.50. The Second Life component of the project is that we are giving away the corresponding 3D Models of the NFTs on Second Life to those who mint during PreSale.

US $285 for a robot avatar in SL.

Yeah. Good luck with that. 

Who's going to bet the only ones sold are to friends and alts of project owner.

Who's going to bet the resale market will be entirely fictional and washed up by the owner and his friends moving the same money round in a circle.

As with any NFT project, early minting is crucial. If you are new to the NFT world, basically early minting an NFT is similar to you buying at wholesale, getting the distribution rights to a product direct from the ‘manufacturer’ and then deciding to keep it, use it or even onsell it at a higher price. I would therefore recommend anyone interested to book a whitelist spot on our website as soon as registration opens on 4th Dec. For the records, we have seen NFTs getting resold at USD $170,000 just one month later while the minting price was less than USD $20.

OMG - This is pure hype fomo BS.

A NFT JPEG of a robot with freebie avatar in SL is not an investment opportunity.

A NFT JPEG of a robot with freebie avatar in SL will never have a resale value orders of magnitude higher than you bought it for .. for magical unknown reasons. 

THIS IS A SCAM.

THIS IS A BLATENT SCAM.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Aishagain said:

I was quite prepared to think that NFTs and SL would never meet.  Until this:

This time my ability to communicate is quite inadequate.

This is just the beginning... while some people are crying here, SL goes forward. It is obvious, LL has the opportunity to renew/upgrade SL with NFTs, and if it fails to do that, another project will do it. LL already has a long experience managing virtual reality worlds, so they have a certain advantage compared to other new projects that plan to do similar things. I wouldn't be surprised if in the near future they announce "something" huge related to NFTs... they are probably working on it right now... They're clearly showing that they are interested in NFTs.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Just now, richelieu Glom said:

This is just the beginning... while some people are crying here, SL goes forward. It is obvious, LL has the opportunity to renew/upgrade SL with NFTs, and if it fails to do that, another project will do it. LL already has a long experience managing virtual reality worlds, so they have a certain advantage compared to other new projects that plan to do similar things. I wouldn't be surprised if in the near future they announce "something" huge related to NFTs... they are probably working on it right now... They're clearly showing that they are interested in NFTs.

😂

But, can NFTs stop the copybots from copying the bots?  NOPE.  Hm, what is in the encrypted block?  Second Life asset UUID?  Possible but seems unlikely as the goal here is SUCKING UP CASH, not providing legal nonrepudiation.  Some industries have been using what amounts to NFTs to provide proof of [ prior art | transaction aggregation timestamps | chain of custody | etc ], by placing the evidence or protected data in a blockchain.  Not pointers to URIs or URLs, the actual data of value.  Using the stuff is not new, using it to get people to buy things called "NFTs" is new.  We use immutable ledgers that have been around way longer than "cryptocurrency" and "NFTs".

Edited by Ardy Lay
  • Like 2

I know about that. I went over to that sim and chatted with the owner.

What he's actually selling is a sort of "breedable", in the Pokemon card sense, not the Second Life sense. You don't actually get a robot in SL, and the ones he has on display just stand there. Go to "Universe v2" and see for yourself.

It's just someone outside SL with a store in SL for something outside SL, with some displays in SL. That's been done before. It won't affect SL.

5 hours ago, animats said:

I know about that. I went over to that sim and chatted with the owner.

What he's actually selling is a sort of "breedable", in the Pokemon card sense, not the Second Life sense. You don't actually get a robot in SL, and the ones he has on display just stand there. Go to "Universe v2" and see for yourself.

It's just someone outside SL with a store in SL for something outside SL, with some displays in SL. That's been done before. It won't affect SL.

It said in the interview, you get a 3D model of the robot.  So it's just an object?  Like a lamp?  That you stick in the corner?  

On 12/2/2021 at 8:21 AM, Qie Niangao said:

If only this stuff weren't so primitive, one possible function of NFTs might indeed have utility in SL: the ability to charge a royalty on each subsequent transfer of an asset.

We've asked for derivatives capability for years. LL doesn't think it needs to be implemented. They also do not think owner-after-next permissions need to be implemented.

Edited by Lucia Nightfire

5 hours ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

We've asked for derivatives capability for years. LL doesn't think it needs to be implemented. They also do not think owner-after-next permissions need to be implemented.

Wonder how complicated that would be. I'd guess ownership transfer and especially permissions are tangled mazes of twisty little passages, all different.

Doing it with blockchain integration sounds... expensive.

But Tilia needs new shiny; let's sic Team NFT on them.

2 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Wonder how complicated that would be. I'd guess ownership transfer and especially permissions are tangled mazes of twisty little passages, all different.

It's a set of owner change flags, an extra set of BOGENF perms, and checks of those extra BOGENF perms every owner change.

2 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

But Tilia needs new shiny

Allowing a user to set up a bank account as a payment method would be that new shiny.

4 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

I'd settle for automatically triggering L$ sale to cover US$ billing costs (should sufficient L$ be in the account) and not getting banned for failure to make a payment.

I don't think LL would offer that option unless they stopped manipulating their currency to maintain an avg L$250 per USD while the real world value of the dollar continues to drop, not to mention during wide-spread semi-artificially created inflation.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2021 at 5:07 AM, Coffee Pancake said:

I deleted it, gone forever.

That picture is the only proof it ever (virtually) existed, it is unique and irreplaceable.

I was going to make it into an NFT of it (for the princely sum of ~100 ETH), but then my inner anti-capitalist got the better of me and I posted it here, some fool might try to take it and profit from it, and good luck to them, but the original and it's countless copies will always exist free for the world to use as to their individual need with no strings forever.

I just wish the OP could explain the error of my ways ... 

you really don't know what you're talking about...go inform yourself about recent nft trends, projects and markets...might change your life...for better, ima sure

• Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 932 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.