Third Life when?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1007 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

40 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

That's nice. 

Not at all a response to my post, just what you imagined it to mean.

ETA: To make it somewhat easier for you, note exactly which part of Bree's post I responded to.

It doesn't matter that "no" was directly responding to "facebook", the entire possibility Bree's suggestion represents is off the table, as is every other possibility.

Feel free to prove me wrong, or just smash that laugh response.

• Haha 2

On 7/29/2021 at 11:16 AM, RussianBimbo said:

First of all, excuse my English, it sucks, i know.

I'm playing SL for 2 years now and i kinda got used to it being so............. Badly optimized, but damn, it's 2021, they made a sh*t ton of money with Second Life, why not invest that money into Third Life? With better optimization and graphics? I know that many of you will say "It's easier said than done", but that's what gaming companies do... Bring out one game, make a huge amount of money and invest into a new, EVEN better game.   

I hate the fact that there is nothing close to SL, evenn in 2021.  

Why not instead of investing money into an already failed project. Trust me Sansar was a dumpster fire. They invest in better optimizing the grid that is Second Life. That and hold creators accountable for better optimizing their items. It's 2021, we don't need a pair shoes at over 80000 complexity. 

3 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

It doesn't matter that "no" was directly responding to "facebook", the entire possibility Bree's suggestion represents is off the table, as is every other possibility.

Feel free to prove me wrong, or just smash that laugh response.

Once again, cute.

You're assuming you know what is and is not "on the table" from a singular, one word response to a specific section of Bree's post.

You do not, hence the laughter.

I am quite for forward momentum. I am not for doing it based on what Facebook, Roblox et al are pulling. I am not for doing it based on absolutely vapid buzzwords and other claptrap.

There is room for a spin off I feel. Those who do not want to build, but want to shop, have a nice avatar, enjoy using whats available, the furniture, the pools, the vehicles. It would not need to be TP enabled. Closed worlds. Somethin' like that, anyway.

LL need to do something, sure.

The day I joined SL, I was a little overwhelmed by the UI. - so much going on and so much to learn. That was in the late noughties as an IT student. I imagine people of today who are so accustomed to the simplicity of apps etc will be even more overwhelmed and by contrast, underwhelmed by the dated look and feel. Heck, even the Marketplace looks ancient and overhauling that would be relatively easy in the grand scheme of things. It makes me wonder, why the neglect? 

I don't think the name Second Life has done SL any favours. Often times when I try to recommend it to RL friends or people who I think might enjoy it, I will hear something along the lines of "Hah, isn't that for people with no life?! Why do I need a second life?!" I don't agree with it but I can understand the misconception.

Truth is, to get decent graphics & performance on SL, you need to be using a gaming PC or laptop and let's be honest, they're not common place in the modern household. (sadly) Even basic laptops are becoming less prevalent in the consumer market. This has been a problem for years now and isn't one LL has addressed and as a result it is becoming less relevant to consumers.

At the very least LL should develop a browser version of SL that has graphics rendered by their servers and not by their end-user's own hardware. This means users could run SL on any device, even a low powered computer, TV, tablet or even a foldable smart phone and still get good graphics and performance. It would give SL a new lease of life. Microsoft have proved this is possible with their Xbox Cloud Gaming service, so we know it can be done. (Sure, let the Firestorm project et al. continue for those who have suitable hardware.)

It seems LL is milking what they have for as long as possible but if they don't revitalise their product, it will become stale and obsolete sooner or later. 

Edited by Exavor Diesel
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Exavor Diesel said:

At the very least LL should develop a browser version of SL that has graphics rendered by their servers and not by their end-user's own hardware.

That would be history repeating itself. LL moved away from that years ago. Not likely to go back to it now.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

That would be history repeating itself. LL moved away from that years ago. Not likely to go back to it now.

I don't know the details of that but I am guessing it pre-dates my time on SL. If so, then it's quite possible they were trying to embrace something before technology was ready for it. Today, people generally have faster internet connections capable of streaming such content. Also, technology capable of rendering server-side graphics is also superior to what it was a decade ago. It does of course come at a cost. 

Edited by Exavor Diesel
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Exavor Diesel said:

I don't know the details of that but I am guessing it pre-dates my time on SL. If so, then it's quite possible they were trying to embrace something before technology was ready for it. Today, people generally have faster internet connections capable of streaming such content. Cloud technology capable of rendering server-side graphics is also superior to what it was a decade ago. It does of course come at a cost. 

If LL wants to retain the customers it has in addition to adding new ones, they would be smart to leave well enough alone.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

If LL wants to retain the customers it has in addition to adding new ones, they would be smart to leave well enough alone.

Not everyone is as technology resistant as you seem to be.

Edited by Sam1 Bellisserian
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

Not everyone is as technology resistant as you seem to be.

This is true, but on the other side of the coin: More SL'ers are technology resistant than you are assuming.

But I agree with Silent Mistwalker: Second Life truly is better off left alone. And I think that's currently the plan. There is a niche here that isn't and won't be filled anywhere else, not even by a metaverse.

It's a touchy subject because Second Life was originally envisioned to be a metaverse. But that's not what it evolved to be, that's not why people still use it today. Linden Lab's best move is to make SL better for what people currently use it for. And that use isn't as a metaverse.

Edited by Adeon Writer
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't think it's necessarily technology resistance but expense.  There are a lot of people who simply cannot afford a new rig or even to upgrade an existing rig.  If SL were to only be accessible to people with gaming computers, you'd lose a ton of people who have, for years, managed to enjoy SL with what they have.  

I agree.  Making it the best for an average set up and not for the top.of the line, newest thing with ALL the bells and whistles will KEEP more people.  Those who simply don't like it because it's not as good as that new game, aren't people that would probably stay anyway.  Since, you know, there's no game to play here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For clarity's sake, making SL more optimized is the opposite of making it require a better computer.
Causing it to require a better rig would due to making it less optimized.

If Second Life were to be re-created in a modern game engine, it would run on older computers better, not worse.

The difficulty would be the massive work expense and difficulty in making sure existing content is not broken. I can't even begin to fathom such an impossible feat.

But I'd be all for that initiative; as long as the understanding is there for what Second Life is and what people want to use it for.
That understanding was not present with the creation of Sansar. I don't know if Sansar was truely not meant to replace SL, or those creating it just didn't understand SL users. Either way, improving Second Life requires those doing the improving actually understand why people use Second Life in 2021 instead of alternatives.

Otherwise you won't like what they make.

Edited by Adeon Writer

3 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Problem is that they are not adding new ones and are in fact slowly hemorrhaging them. Sure there has been an uptick because of the pandemic but in comparison to many other games out there, it has not been a lot. At some point assuming the powers that be eventually end the lockdowns etc, there will probably be a fair amount who will be leaving again resulting in a net loss from pre-pandemic numbers.

A cross platform browser allowing login to the grid itself for local chat, IM, group, and maybe even a rudimentary graphical interface should be entirely possible these days and probably less effort overall than the lackluster work being done on their vision of the mobile app(s) in development. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1007 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.