Third Life when?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 992 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

First of all, excuse my English, it sucks, i know.

I'm playing SL for 2 years now and i kinda got used to it being so............. Badly optimized, but damn, it's 2021, they made a sh*t ton of money with Second Life, why not invest that money into Third Life? With better optimization and graphics? I know that many of you will say "It's easier said than done", but that's what gaming companies do... Bring out one game, make a huge amount of money and invest into a new, EVEN better game.   

I hate the fact that there is nothing close to SL, evenn in 2021.  

Linden Lab did invest into a “Third Life”. It was called Sansar and many SL programmers and millions of dollars were spent. It failed. Though it wasn’t designed to be a true replacement for SL. It was designed for public venues and creating experiences. 

With Facebook investing billions into it’s own metaverse it might be better to figure out how to link SL to that new metaverse. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Gaming companies do that about  every three years these day, because they are the ones that create the content. Most times the game is about half the player base that it was at it's peak by that time because of lack of content, so they usually make a version 2 or 3 or expansion or whatever..

With games you download the content and that's what you have until the next patch..

With SL, content is changing live and is user created all day and night long every single day..

There have been a lot of attempts to draw people off this platform to others and pretty much all didn't do to well, so far.

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 9

31 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

Linden Lab did invest into a “Third Life”. It was called Sansar and many SL programmers and millions of dollars were spent. It failed. Though it wasn’t designed to be a true replacement for SL. It was designed for public venues and creating experiences. 

With Facebook investing billions into it’s own metaverse it might be better to figure out how to link SL to that new metaverse. 

Some of us avoid Facebook for a reason.  Don't bring that **** in here.

If LL were actually a gaming company and SL were actually a game like the others, it would be different.  As @Ceka Ciancisaid, it's made almost entire!y of user content that changes literally minute by minute.  How could anyone optimize that without losing the entire intent of SL?

"Second Life is the largest and most successful 3D virtual world created entirely by its users. Today, tens of thousands of creators around the world continually develop exciting new content and experiences and profit from selling millions of virtual items on the marketplace."

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

Like Tiny Empires?

Hmmm! I don't think I'd heard of that before now. Maybe kind of like Tiny Empires I suppose? Only less specifically medieval! Although I more imagine 'Third Life' to be just like Second Life. It's what my avatar 'plays' in - not me! 😛  

But I'm up for layers of metaverses within metaverses!

2 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

The ability to move your avatar from one world to another is starting to catch on. There's now an open portable avatar format, called VRM, and a commercial system called Ready Player Me. Both produce rather cartoon-looking avatars,  mostly because they enforce low triangle counts.

It's reportedly possible to bring VRM avatars into SL, but it involves using both the Unity editor and Blender. It's done by converting from .vrm to .fbx to .dae, with tweaks along the way. The end result is a game-type model; you can't change the clothes. This would be worth streamlining into a service. Upload your VRM avatar to a web site, have it appear in SL, pay in Lindens.

This would be a nice migration feature to SL. People would come in with their cartoony avatars and see that everyone else has a nicer avatar.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, RussianBimbo said:

First of all, excuse my English, it sucks, i know.

I'm playing SL for 2 years now and i kinda got used to it being so............. Badly optimized, but damn, it's 2021, they made a sh*t ton of money with Second Life, why not invest that money into Third Life? With better optimization and graphics? I know that many of you will say "It's easier said than done", but that's what gaming companies do... Bring out one game, make a huge amount of money and invest into a new, EVEN better game.   

I hate the fact that there is nothing close to SL, evenn in 2021.  

It was called Sansar and LL sold it because it turned out to be a dead weight.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sansar_(video_game)

• Thanks 1

I'm sure it would be a very difficult thing to do but if SL changes minute by minute as its users constantly create then perhaps LL would benefit from looking at what can be removed without consequence .

The truth of anything i've been told in my sl is questionable but sometime in my first year i was taken on a tour of many vast and deserted sims by an original player kind of lamenting the death of all she once knew .

When was the last time freebie galaxy did a stocktake and threw out all the stuff made by people who have been pushing up daisies for over a decade ?

Surely it all takes up valuable resources and I'm sure I personally wouldn't recognize vital links in the evolutionary scheme of things but there must be a lot of dead weight that could be discarded without anybody noticing ?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cunomar said:

When was the last time freebie galaxy did a stocktake and threw out all the stuff made by people who have been pushing up daisies for over a decade ?

Should we also throw out all music written or performed by dead artists?

I still use a few old freebie system clothes on my BOM body.  Even found an old system skin that perfectly matched the tone of a new Bento BOM head, and matched the mesh body.  I am however ready to toss most of the pink and blue pose ball furniture, except for dances. Probably toss the prim/invisi layer trees too, as they only look good at one angle at a distance.   Most of the lag in SL objects these days is coming from poorly optimized mesh, made by still very alive builders.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

Please god, no. The day SL combines with Zuckerworld, I'm out. I refuse to have a Facebook account for a reason.

• Like 7

21 hours ago, Solar Legion said:

No.

Why not just cut to the chase and set up an opensim, port a few friends over and wait out the end?

Relevance is the currency of all ongoing platforms. Staving off irrelevance means change. Constant ongoing change.

SL needs change now more than ever. #Nochanges is in no small part responsible for the existential mess we're in now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Collectors would notice. People who have kept things as keepsakes in memory of those they have lost would notice. Memorials that have been set up in all corners of the grid would vanish. A lot would go missing. It would be noticed.

Everything lost can be replaced and renewed. This is not a tomb.

1 hour ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Everything lost can be replaced and renewed. This is not a tomb.

I would parse this differently as I maintain a small memorial to a friend who went offline in RL back in 2005;

”This is not *ONLY* a tomb (memorial).”  Second Life is many things to many people.

Technology moves on, so keep backups of those memorials that have emotional significance to you.

A virtual memorial is only pixels, its SIGNIFICANCE lies in what the act of creating and maintaining that remembrance.  

If circumstances force you to re-create it somewhere else ( I have done this several times as I moved around the grid ), your commitment to whomever or whatever is being remembered is only affirmed by your determination to keep something special in living memory.

I don’t get religious about this stuff (my religion is not all that common and more of a philosophy than anything else), but I do subscribe to the sentiment that “to be remembered is not to die”.

Of course, my “religion” DOES cherish a challenge 🙂 Keeping something constant in an ever changing virtual world is exactly that kind of challenge ……

Final of-topic thought; not all memorials are there as a place to grieve. Some exist as a way of saying “thanks”.

I agree w Coffee (I usually do), I just wanted to present the upside of migrating Remembrances to whatever comes after SL, whenever it does.

https://images.app.goo.gl/rgzDd3QkYSgHow448

• Like 1

Between first life, second life, and a whole lot of procrastination in both, I don't think I'll have the time for a third life as well.   

1 hour ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Why not just cut to the chase and set up an opensim, port a few friends over and wait out the end?

Relevance is the currency of all ongoing platforms. Staving off irrelevance means change. Constant ongoing change.

SL needs change now more than ever. #Nochanges is in no small part responsible for the existential mess we're in now.

That's nice. 

Not at all a response to my post, just what you imagined it to mean.

ETA: To make it somewhat easier for you, note exactly which part of Bree's post I responded to.

Edited by Solar Legion

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 992 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.