Is it ok non premium account to post in the forum?

Drakeo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1027 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

17 minutes ago, Pixie Kobichenko said:

Yea, I’m pretty bewildered at Harley Linden’s take on this thread.

Precisely.

17 minutes ago, Pixie Kobichenko said:

Which will cause basic members to create alternative message boards

Like SLU aka VVO and SCII and the list goes on. Most of those are gone now. And it wasn't just basic accounts. A lot of frustrated with LL people go looking for answer at VVO and other places like it and they find those answers. Answers that should be coming from LL, not a third party.

Edit: Not saying the answers are incorrect just that LL is the best source for answers regarding SL most of the time.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Yup and I wasn't on the forum during that time either. Don't think I even knew one existed until 2005. In fact, I didn't think there was one and was spending most of my board time on Skiffy before 2005.

He did say there was a nice consensus on the topic and he can plainly see as can all the Lindens, that the majority are for allowing everyone to post.  I'm not going to pack my bags. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

In my day, trolls were clever and well written. They said enough legitimately that when the bait was slipped in, you didn't see it. It got you. That's why it was called bait, like for a trap.

I miss those days.

Many of the best trolls would never pay money to troll other people, not when it can be done for free everywhere else. If the forums were premium only, we'd be denied some of the best entertainment around. We'd have to live with rambling nonsense from people that might very well be drunk.

Oh, wait.

You win some, you lose some. 

*hic*

Nice party. Where's the whiskey?

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

He did say there was a nice consensus on the topic and he can plainly see as can all the Lindens, that the majority are for allowing everyone to post.  I'm not going to pack my bags. 

They can see but do they know what they see? It would have helped a lot of he had been a little more forthcoming on what that consensus was. Or did I somehow miss an implication in his post?

2 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Honestly? There shouldn't be any need for a consensus, let alone any discussion on the matter.

Linden Lab decided some time ago that all accounts should have access to and be able to post in the fora - barring breaching the Guidelines (whatever form that takes on a given day/whim ... ) - and that is very well that.

If they decide to change this in the future, they will. Without our input.

• Like 1

Just now, Silent Mistwalker said:

They can see but do they know what they see? It would have helped a lot of he had been a little more forthcoming on what that consensus was. Or did I somehow miss an implication in his post?

Not sure how the consensus could be missed if he'd read through it.  No one agreed that it should be premium only.  The thread basically stayed on topic without too much silliness.  There is no upside to changing how the forum runs.

4 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Not sure how the consensus could be missed if he'd read through it.  No one agreed that it should be premium only.  The thread basically stayed on topic without too much silliness.  There is no upside to changing how the forum runs.

I can never be sure if they do actually read everything that is pertinent and don't just skim over it missing some important details.

There is no upside to this particular change unless they want to get rid of the forum. That would be a good way to kill it. 🤭

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

Anyway, reading over this all,  I don't see anyone who backs your position.

Well I am glad you so kindly put it that way.

So you think that there should not be premium accounts. ?

Do away with linden lab staff pay checks. ?

Rowan I do not think you do!

But this forum was built by Linden labs through your hard earned money.

I  have no clue why they would build it for free.

Do you see pop up  advertisement.?

You see the a wonderful product brought to from premium accounts.

Edited by Drakeo
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

6 minutes ago, Drakeo said:

Nobody has said there should not be any Premium accounts.  Just that the forums should not be restricted to premium only.

Where do you get the idea that all of LL's money comes from Premium accounts?

Where do you get the idea that non-premiums don't pay into SL?

Pretty sure LL has not published stats on it, but I'd be willing to bet lots of real money on the fact that most of LL's money comes from other stuff besides Premium fees - things like LAND, MP feees, and Lindex fees.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Drakeo said:

Well I am glad you so kindly put it that way.

Do away with linden lab staff pay checks. ?

Rowan I do not think you do!

But this forum was built by Linden labs through your hard earned money.

I  have no clue why they would build it for free.

Do you see pop up  advertisement.?

You see the a wonderful product brought to from premium accounts.

Do you recall the title of the thread and what you've said?  You wanted only premium accounts to be allowed access to the forums.  No one agrees with you.

Please try to stay on topic.  No where did anyone say anything about getting rid of premium accounts.

I swear, this just gets more strange with each passing minute.

• Like 4

To the OP:

I am not a premium user.

I am a concierge user (so add some 000's to what I pay over the year due to region fees compared to premium user fees).

However, I believe it's irreverent for the forums whether I am premium, non premium or concierge.  Forums are generally here (I find personally) for 3 reasons.

1. Users to find answers and other users support that demand.  
- benefit to LL - less support tickets, lower costs etc.

2. To interact, communicate and participate in a community that has a common reason (in this case we all use Second Life).
- benefit to LL - engaged users - remain users and the majority of users contribute to the SL economy*

3. To share from land for sale through to buying things. 
- benefit to LL - contributes to SL economy*

Non premium accounts are just as essential for the SL economy in case that was another question based on the benefits I outlined.  

They buy Linden Dollars and spend it on products and renting land or services in world.  For each purchase of Linden Dollars, LL takes a fee.  Each time they spend that money with a creator and that creator cashes out / converts into USD - LL takes a fee (large one).    Rinse, repeat in all the various activities that take part in Second Life.

If LL cut off the forums to just a subset of "premium" conversely it would likely they cost them money as a result.  I don't suspect that is something on their agenda.   It seems more like the OP has a unique POV perhaps related to a direct experience that most of us don't share/or could be aware of.

Edited by Charlotte Bartlett
  • Like 7

• Drakeo changed the title to Is it ok non premium account to post in the forum?
32 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Do you recall the title of the thread and what you've said?

Is it ok non premium account to post in the forum?

yes or no would have been nice.

Edited by Drakeo
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Charlotte Bartlett said:

To the OP:

I am not a premium user.

I am a concierge user (so add some 000's to what I pay over the year due to region fees compared to premium user fees).

However, I believe it's irreverent for the forums whether I am premium, non premium or concierge.  Forums are generally here (I find personally) for 3 reasons.

1. Users to find answers and other users support that demand.  
- benefit to LL - less support tickets, lower costs etc.

2. To interact, communicate and participate in a community that has a common reason (in this case we all use Second Life).
- benefit to LL - engaged users - remain users and the majority of users contribute to the SL economy*

3. To share from land for sale through to buying things. 
- benefit to LL - contributes to SL economy*

Non premium accounts are just as essential for the SL economy in case that was another question based on the benefits I outlined.  

They buy Linden Dollars and spend it on products and renting land or services in world.  For each purchase of Linden Dollars, LL takes a fee.  Each time they spend that money with a creator and that creator cashes out / converts into USD - LL takes a fee (large one).    Rinse, repeat in all the various activities that take part in Second Life.

If LL cut off the forums to just a subset of "premium" conversely it would likely they cost them money as a result.  I don't suspect that is something on their agenda.   It seems more like the OP has a unique POV perhaps related to a direct experience that most of us don't share/or could be aware of.

Thank you for that wonderful well thought out reply. I could not agree with you anymore.

Thank you for your wonderful things you bring to this platform.

Since only certain types of humor are allowed here....

I think certain people shouldn't be able to use the forums, at least not post on them, only read. But, I don't think it should be based on their status as a premium or non-premium account. I think some people should be stopped from making a fool of themselves (I really don't know what to replace that with, lmao) before they can even start, at least once they've developed a rather curious, and not in a good way, sort of behavior. 

Some people do themselves, the forums, LL(singular) and anyone reading absolutely no good and they contribute almost nil as well. Maybe we should restrict those people, so that others who are merely reacting to ridiculousness with further ridiculousness, find no need to do so.

Or we could kindly ask those being, whatever it is they're being,  to stop reporting posts which are in equal proportion of ridiculousness just because they don't like it, lol. It's very strange behavior, really, but, to keep this on topic, maybe people who report posts they don't like just because they don't like them should be restricted to read only too, at least until they can find their big person panties again. 

Or I can stop being salty and go back to read only myself, which is what I think I shall do.

(there, on topic enough?)

Edited by Tari Landar
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tari Landar said:

Since only certain types of humor are allowed here....

I think certain people shouldn't be able to use the forums, at least not post on them, only read. But, I don't think it should be based on their status as a premium or non-premium account. I think some people should be stopped from making a fool of themselves (I really don't know what to replace that with, lmao) before they can even start, at least once they've developed a rather curious, and not in a good way, sort of behavior. 

Some people do themselves, the forums, LL(singular) and anyone reading absolutely no good and they contribute almost nil as well. Maybe we should restrict those people, so that others who are merely reacting to ridiculousness with further ridiculousness, find no need to do so.

Or we could kindly ask those being, whatever it is they're being,  to stop reporting posts which are in equal proportion of ridiculousness just because they don't like it, lol. It's very strange behavior, really, but, to keep this on topic, maybe people who report posts they don't like just because they don't like them should be restricted to read only too, at least until they can find their big person panties again. 

Or I can stop being salty and go back to read only myself, which is what I think I shall do.

(there, on topic enough?)

I thank you for your fine input. I am sure you put your heart into it.

Thank You

21 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I thought we all said that already.  Silly me.

I disagree. Because by the time you can enforce it  a new basic account that is made just to troll

then the damage is done.  Take away there ability to login to a parcel that is part of the premium account 

is severe.

So I disagree with how this forum test bed has been run.

I feel strongly that this is happening often.

Way to often. I believe it devalues the knowledge base.

I search things for secondlife it leads me to a topic and I get to see rude behavior.

This seems to be the norm. 

The people that replied in this thread most were very gracious or they was blocked

from the beginning.

Edited by Drakeo
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Drakeo said:

I disagree. Because by the time you can enforce it  a new basic account that is made just to troll

then the damage is done.  Take away there ability to login to a parcel that is part of the premium account 

is severe.

So I disagree with how this forum test bed has been run.

I feel strongly that this is happening often.

Way to often. I believe it devalues the knowledge base.

I search things for secondlife it leads me to a topic and I get to see rude behavior.

This seems to be the norm. 

The people that replied in this thread most were very gracious or they was blocked

from the beginning.

A person's value on these forums, and in SL, is not defined by how much money they may or may not pay for the privilege, and I for one wouldn't want to participate in any platform based around that premise.

I find the entire suggestion deeply offensive.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1027 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.