Can't rez my new pot of flowers in my house?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1034 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I just bought some potted flowers to put on my dining room table, and when I tried I get a message saying you cannot rez this object here because the owner of the land does not allow it? I thought it was my house. What's the deal with that? It's just a pot of flowers, and I have 148 prims left to use.

Edited by AnnHerrick

Sometimes you get that message when you try to rez an object on top of another mesh object.  Try rezzing the flowers directly on the floor of the house,  or just outside the house on the  actual ground, and then edit them to move them to the table top.  Sometimes I will rez a prim cube in the house (from the viewer's build/create menu) , and stretch it so it's thin and rectangular, and then rez items onto that prim, and move them where they need to be.  

Just now, Storii Darkheart said:

Rez it on the ground and and then move it into position. You can't rez on top of mesh items. You'll always get that error.

I tried that and it won't let me, I get a circle with a slash through it when I try to move it now.

1 minute ago, Storii Darkheart said:

Make sure you're trying to rez the object and not the folder.

I'm sure it was the object and not the folder. I just deleted it. Don't know where it went now, it's not in the trash so I guess it's lost.

Edited by AnnHerrick

1 minute ago, Storii Darkheart said:

If it was a non copy item, it'll eventually appear in your Lost and Found folder.

No, it won't.

I've lost many no-copy items that way, and still waiting years later for even one of them to appear in Lost & Found.

If you lose a no-copy item that way your only solutions are to re-purchase, or accept the loss.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Maitimo said:

No, it won't.

I've lost many no-copy items that way, and still waiting years later for even one of them to appear in Lost & Found.

If you lose a no-copy item that way your only solutions are to re-purchase, or accept the loss.

Interesting. I've never not had one returned to my Lost and Found eventually.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Storii Darkheart said:

You can't rez on top of mesh items. You'll always get that error.

Not true.  If the mesh is properly made, you really can rez on it, but apparently much of the mesh in SL is not made properly in that regard. 

I don't remember the specifics, but you could always ask in the Mesh sub-forum and someone will explain it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AnnHerrick said:

Well after the message I got about not being allowed to rez it, the object disappeared altogether, gone into oblivion and I can get it back unless I buy it again. That's not right.

If it was a copy item, log out and in again and it will be in your lost and found. If it was a non-copy item, it's gone forever. 

Edited by purrrkitten

1 minute ago, Maitimo said:

No, it won't.

I already repurchased, and the same thing happened, when I tried to rez it I was not allowed and it vanished into oblivion. Well it was only L$15, so no great loss, but I won't buy that again.

1 minute ago, AnnHerrick said:

I already repurchased, and the same thing happened, when I tried to rez it I was not allowed and it vanished into oblivion. Well it was only L$15, so no great loss, but I won't buy that again.

Its not the item that's the problem, its where you are rezzing it. The surface you're trying to put it on is mesh. Rez it outside your house, on bare ground, and use the edit menu to drag it inside.

Another reason why this can happen is that you're trying to rez it at a bit of a distance (even a short distance) and the 'line of sight' of it is going onto a neighbouring parcel. Before rezzing anything I always hit CTRL+3 to bring up the edit window, and angle my camera downwards to the floor. If I ever forget to do that, I often get that message, especially if I'm rezzing close to the boundary of my parcel.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Storii Darkheart said:

Interesting. I've never not had one returned to my Lost and Found eventually.

If they were really no-copy items then congratulations, your avatar/account is unique.

4 minutes ago, AnnHerrick said:

It sounds like a no-copy item for sure.  As mentioned, a relog will likely show it in your Lost & Found folder --- not always, but most of the time.

Create a cube on the floor.  Stretch it and flatten it out like a rug and lay it just on top of the existing floor.  Either texture it to look like a rug or change it to be fully transparent.  That will give you a flat prim to rez things on in the future.

Skell makes a good point.  That message can often mean that you are trying to rez something too close to the parcel boundary, so the system thinks you are trying to rez on your neighbor's land.  To make matters a little trickier, as he says, the system can also screw up if your camera angle and distance are odd.  The lesson is to stand fairly close to where you are rezzing stuff and try to look down instead of horizontally.

Just now, Rolig Loon said:

Skell makes a good point.  That message can often mean that you are trying to rez something too close to the parcel boundary, so the system thinks you are trying to rez on your neighbor's land.  To make matters a little trickier, as he says, the system can also screw up if your camera angle and distance are odd.  The lesson is to stand fairly close to where you are rezzing stuff and try to look down instead of horizontally.

Well I was trying to rez it on my dining room table, so well away from parcel boundaries.

Just now, AnnHerrick said:

Well I was trying to rez it on my dining room table, so well away from parcel boundaries.

We're just trying to cover the different scenarios that can result in that message. 

The best protections against getting that message (and potentially having no-copy items disappear) are to create a flat prim that you can rez items onto, or rez the item on the bare ground just outside your house, and making sure that you are dragging the item to the flat prim or ground right next to your feet, and then use the edit functions to move the item to it's desired location.  

It could also be not allowed because she has Object entry turned on only for Groups, and the plant was not in the land group.  But that assumes she has  assigned a group to her Linden Home.  Then if she was not wearing the group tag for the land, she would get that message unless the option to always rezz in the land group is checked in Firestorm.

As about everyone has already said,  rezz it on a simple prim, such as a rug on the floor.  And of course log off and back and check your Lost & Found folder.

Ann, you did not say you have done either of these things yet.  

I rezz no copy items all the time, and either land on a no object or no build property or forget to wear the correct tag.  If the item vanished, it is always in my Lost & Found after a relog.  Of course that is only about 100 oopsies over a 10 year period.  I have heard of others losing no copy items so I believe it is possible.  Who sells a no copy plant anymore?

Edited by Jaylinbridges

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1034 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.