Policies for Transitioning Old Linden Homes to Bellisseria

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1002 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

I really hope you filed an AR for harassment.  People who do this (invasively take candid shots and share them with you and the world) often are telling themselves that their subjects secretly like this.  Both for their SL and their RL, they need to get strong feedback that their subjects DO NOT appreciate this form of exploitation.  And that it can have consequences.

Yes I did, and it appears that his account is now gone.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

6 hours ago, Maitimo said:

Point is, though, he could never have managed to do that in less than 15 seconds.

yes he can because the creeper can defeat parcel visibility while remaining outside of the parcel

i tell you how so you can know what to look for when dealing with creepers

there is a exploit which takes advantage of way that the viewer camera interacts with the server relative to the animated position of an avatar

creeper places their avatar outside the parcel boundary and then plays a animation which offsets them ever so marginally onto the parcel. The viewer camera follows the animated position of the avatar. And as the viewer camera is now inside the parcel  then the server thinks that so too is the avatar and sends the other avatars data to the creepers viewer

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

6 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

yes he can because the creeper can defeat parcel visibility while remaining outside of the parcel

i tell you how so you can know what to look for when dealing with creepers

there is a exploit....

File a Jira for this.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

What is the benefit to the Lab of getting rid of the old Linden homes?  What is gained by making them disappear and forcing a move to a new area?  If it was mentioned, I missed it.  Is it a big drain on resources to have them sitting there?  Does it somehow negatively impact other areas to have them there?  Do they take up so much space on servers or in clouds to be overly expensive to maintain?  

Why is this even a debate?  Who cares?  If a person doesn't like them or thinks they are ugly, don't choose the option and don't visit.  Why does someone else's choice to have one impact anyone else?  How are any of us personally injured by the fact that they exist virtually and some people might be there?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

What is the benefit to the Lab of getting rid of the old Linden homes?  What is gained by making them disappear and forcing a move to a new area?  If it was mentioned, I missed it.  Is it a big drain on resources to have them sitting there?  Does it somehow negatively impact other areas to have them there?  Do they take up so much space on servers or in clouds to be overly expensive to maintain?  

Why is this even a debate?  Who cares?  If a person doesn't like them or thinks they are ugly, don't choose the option and don't visit.  Why does someone else's choice to have one impact anyone else?  How are any of us personally injured by the fact that they exist virtually and some people might be there?

I am convinced from a number of recent Linden talks that yes, it is a drain on resources. For them, as Patch noted, to put in 32 sims to link a continent with a Bellisseria  area is too big a cost -- the move to the cloud costs more, not less, and they have large expenses and they cut them where possible. All perfectly normal. If you start doing this add-on of 6 sims or 10 sims before you know it, some diva will be furious if a Linden doesn't build a 1000 sim trail from her private island to her stilt house so she can jet ski it every morning. They have to say no.

There is wastage of sims on the Mainland, in old Linden Homes, and dare I say it, even in Bellisseria, in the older parts. None of this is totally empty. But on old Mainland and in some old Linden Homes (more filled than old Mainland) there are entire empty sims that say that way with only an autopilot pod crossing them and not even that. So how can they tighten up the ship? I totally get that.

I want it to be a plan not based on cost and technology but on what it means to people. Will they happily go? Let's find out, then we'll not bother to worry any more if there is only a tiny minority of complainers. Are people valuing something about these homes -- the 512 aspect? Some other feature? Simpler landscapes where their own landscape maybe stands out more for them? Let's find out and let's see what could be accommodated.

I find that to a certain sort of Metaversal engineer or entrepreneur, the thought of empty Mainland sims vexes them to the point where they become obsessed, as if failure to have on-demand sims everywhere, or only contiguous heavy traffic sims, is some sort of original Metaverse sin. They are indignant! Empty mainland sims don't bother me; I found one particularly austere and beautiful one and bought it for a song and build it out and rented it. I see one artist who has done this with a nearby sim, turning it into a kind of Soho. I see stores who can't afford a big island getting Lindens to carve out a bit of abandoned bleak land for them -- it's not laggy. So it's an opportunity, not a liability.

Again, the first thing to do is to find the facts. Nobody is finding them. I will have to try myself I guess.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

• Administrators

giphy.gif

Alrigghhttyy, I've gone ahead and cleaned up a few pages so y'all can get back to discussing the topic of this thread.

Please remember, you don't have to like each other but please keep any personal issues you may have with another Resident off of the forums.

giphy.gif

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

12 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Again, the first thing to do is to find the facts. Nobody is finding them. I will have to try myself I guess

Personally, tho a very curious person, I'm not willing to spend time finding out facts about LH regions  To me, that is completely LL's business, and they have access to relevant information that we could NEVER have.  I respect efforts to suggest to LL some things to consider should they ever want to pare down older LH regions, but I've not seen a lot of uptake of brilliant(?) ideas I've suggested in the past, so personally I'll not be doing much of that either.

[Well, I do harbor a hope that one day we'll see an "Italy plan" for empty regions on mainland and LH continents.  For 3 months only, buy a region for $1L, with reduced tier for the 1st year!   Various restrictions apply.  I'm sure that's right up there with providing continent names on the world map, another stunningly obvious improvement rotting in the overflowing landfill of 'helpful' resident suggestions in Jira's nether regions.]

Anyway, think of the useful things LL could know!

• LH parcels that have not been visited by their owner in over a year.
  • LH parcels that have no resident objects on them.
  • % of each style of LH that has resident objects, has ever been visited for over 30 seconds in the last year., etc..
  • Whether it would be sensible or even possible to put unoccupied regions into "idle mode", where a lot of them are hosted together in some lower-cost way on the cloud.
  • The top 10 groups (in terms of number of parcels) that own land in LH regions, and the locations of those parcels.

One could go on and on.  They have data, we don't.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

LL has to pay Amazon based on the number of servers they are using - the more regions they have, the more servers required.  At the minimum they should get rid of any of the older home regions that are totally empty and then maybe just squish the rest together if they don't want to eliminate the regions entirely.

• Like 2

idk.. call me overly simple on this topic,  but... IMHO... this is not an issue that is (or should be) up to us. Linden Lab knows all the details we are guessing at: cost, usage, loads, demand, future priorities, etc.

This seems like a business decision that is up to the Lab and really doesn't concern us.

I am happy to leave this decision in their hands and not be concerned about it...especially since I live in Bellisseria and not in one of the old linden homes.

Edited by Teresa Firelight
fix typo
  • Like 5

Always use AV root security in your furniture. Select Group only can sit and use menu then even if a griefer comes into your house he or she cannot sit any where and is booted by your LH orb if you have it on or just can't do anything except maybe take a pic. I have all my furniture set to group so if myself or partner are AFK and someone come in they can't do anything and will probably get bored and leave 😄 You can get the script to add to furntiure and stuff that doesn't have the security option also.

Edited by Madonna666
typo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1002 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.