How Does Your SL Look Today?

9 hours ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

Out on the Blake Sea enjoying the wonders of PBR...

20240802_130821.thumb.jpg.972e780eccda8939625a9b2e23ce6079.jpg

(not really, taking a day off to help a friend work on his boat but figured I'd post a pic for all the SL sailing enthusiasts) 🙃

Damn it, look at that.

I HATE how PBR has just ruined the look of water!!!! 😡

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

So, @Zalificent Corvinus, who is (as we all know) the absolute incarnation of Evil, proved it again today by gifting me with a very cool outfit! I think because she was distressed by seeing me in my red dress?

ANYWAY, it's in a FP, and I decided to go for blue. The leather jacket it comes with is lovely.

Thank you, Zali!!

(I will now proceed to reward Zali by giving her palpitations: "HUGS! 💕")

BlueRain(SM)Blank.thumb.png.081ff15ee3eb9e85dd1a6a1db3601d5d.png

• Like 12
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

It's Scylla, bad version!!!   She's not in Canada anymore!!

I can be VERY wicked. You have NO idea how large my library fines are.

(No, seriously. I am embarrassed to say. But we're talking three figures.)

• Haha 4

9 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

So, @Zalificent Corvinus, who is (as we all know) the absolute incarnation of Evil, proved it again today by gifting me with a very cool outfit! I think because she was distressed by seeing me in my red dress?

It's all LIES I tell you.

9 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

absolute incarnation of Evil

Except that bit obviously.

6 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

You have NO idea how large my library fines are.

MORE than 1.00 Canadian Dollars?

Outrageous!

Edited by Zalificent Corvinus
  • Haha 4

14 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

What a disaster....the nightmare of my dreams!  :(   And such a shame if you really enjoy choreography.  I think they have better systems now that aren't laggy if you haven't been ruined for life from that experience.  Sometimes we've had 40 people on the dance circle without lag (for most people anyway).  There's always somebody 'dancing' us via utilizing a certain dance pad where the controls are housed and various dances can be chosen to fit the mood of the song. When I practice alone I'm on the control pad but just choose a kind of auto-dance shuffle and forget about it.

My part when I lead the Kirtan @ Shambhala Sanctuary is to choose the music and play it (using my stream) and then providing text for each song (using a speak-easy where I just have to push a button), usually requiring quite a bit of research beforehand to write the text if I'm not so familiar with the topic of the song. And then my particles match the mood or energy. For example, if some soft little lullaby is playing I don't want to manifest explosive fireworks...lol...or conversely, if there's a pounding electronica beat to a song i don't want to manifest floating pink flowers..lol.

If you love choreography you might try working with The Spirit Light Dance Company -- they train you to design the dances utilizing some new software that's (supposedly) easy to use. I'm not sure I'll do it...my part in those performances has been pretty minimal as a dancer, yet required quite a bit of time in rehearsals, so might be all I want to do there.

This was not long after HAVOK came to the grid. So it was years ago. That and we had over 90 in traffic that night. So we didn't think about that happening either. 

But the one I use now is Mts or Mst.. I forget,  but it's a really good one that I can invite a whole sim of people on it. Not that I ever would.

I just use it for me mostly. Hehehe 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I can be VERY wicked. You have NO idea how large my library fines are.

LOL. A library in Toronto refused to give me a new Library card even after i paid my fines!!! That was over 40 years ago. I haven't tried at any library since. What for? It's cheaper to buy the book!!! I know I'll never return it once I borrow it!!! /me runs downstairs to look for a book he borrowed in grade 4...

2 hours ago, SandorWren said:

LOL. A library in Toronto refused to give me a new Library card even after i paid my fines!!! That was over 40 years ago. I haven't tried at any library since. What for? It's cheaper to buy the book!!! I know I'll never return it once I borrow it!!! /me runs downstairs to look for a book he borrowed in grade 4...

Well, you'll be delighted to know that the TPL eliminated late fines about 2 years ago! You can once again enter a library in Toronto with your head held high.

My fines are actually much worse. They're from the university library.

And I really have no excuse, because I get the books for like half a year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Well, you'll be delighted to know that the TPL eliminated late fines about 2 years ago! You can once again enter a library in Toronto with your head held high.

My fines are actually much worse. They're from the university library.

And I really have no excuse, because I get the books for like half a year.

LOL, I haven't lived in Toronto for over 30 years now. So That doesn't help!!! Hush on this, but there was an occasion where I deliberately paid a few hundred dollars in library late fees because the U of T textbooks I needed for an exam were no longer available to buy!!! The late fees were bad. a few hundred dollars for a few books for maybe a week. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SandorWren said:

LOL, I haven't lived in Toronto for over 30 years now. So That doesn't help!!! Hush on this, but there was an occasion where I deliberately paid a few hundred dollars in library late fees because the U of T textbooks I needed for an exam were no longer available to buy!!! The late fees were bad. a few hundred dollars for a few books for maybe a week. 

Yeah, they can build up pretty fast. Which is one reason the TPL got rid of fines: they discovered that people were so overwhelmed by mounting fees, or so often couldn't even afford slighter ones, that they were avoiding the libraries entirely.

And as many of those people had no other access to many of the services libraries provide (such as computers and internet), that was causing real social harm.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Yeah, they can build up pretty fast. Which is one reason the TPL got rid of fines: they discovered that people were so overwhelmed by mounting fees, or so often couldn't even afford slighter ones, that they were avoiding the libraries entirely.

And as many of those people had no other access to many of the services libraries provide (such as computers and internet), that was causing real social harm.

i actually ended up avoiding libraries because i didn't WANT to return the books. Unfortunately, too many years of forced reading in learning institutions destroyed my love of reading. Which brings me to the question of what defines good literature. Some supposedly high level literature is so incredibly boring that is painful to read. Is it the theme, the plot, or the wording that defines it? Is "The Diary of a Country Priest" superior to "The Chrysalids", or "Rendezvous With Rama"? I was literally physically ill having to have read the former, but devoured the latter two!!!

And who exactly are those people, LOL???

Edited by SandorWren
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Lag is going to indicate a lot of the timing..

I remember Practicing with 7 other dancers  while using my hud to control each one..

It all worked really great and the timing was right and I had the change ups memorized as to when which dancer would change into a new move at what times..

Then the club got packed and all of it was like, why did I even bother.. LOL

Like two weeks of work getting ready for a club opening that  all my choreography went right out the window the moment we started..

I was so shattered that I just never did it ever again.. LOL

Animations, like just about everything else, is viewer-side though. Happens a lot when I dance. I grow bored within 5 minutes and start tabbing out to read or watch videos whilst waiting for my dance partner to write a response, and when I tab back in all the animations are out of sync on my end.

Of course it's as easy as hitting Ctrl + S to resync them! Although if you have animations that are supposed to start at different times .. Well that won't work, because resyncing restarts all the animation loops to the first frame. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Orwar said:

Animations, like just about everything else, is viewer-side though. Happens a lot when I dance. I grow bored within 5 minutes and start tabbing out to read or watch videos whilst waiting for my dance partner to write a response, and when I tab back in all the animations are out of sync on my end.

Of course it's as easy as hitting Ctrl + S to resync them! Although if you have animations that are supposed to start at different times .. Well that won't work, because resyncing restarts all the animation loops to the first frame. 

Your viewer is not going to be using as much memory when it's minimized..

Every time I minimize my screen and then pop it back up, my boobs bounce because of the physics I'm wearing..hehehe

With lag you can see animations running at different speeds. I could buy an animation from Paragon or MOVE and get home and it be sped way up compared to how it worked when I bought it.

Our case was, This was 2007 or 08, Windlight and HAVOK was just introduced,which for many was kind of like PBR being introduced, is for many today.  hehehe

So we went from just a few of us practicing in the club, to 90k traffic at a grand opening.. hehehe

It wasn't just a little out of sync because people were lowering their viewers.. It was because the lag was so strong that my huds were not even registering the button clicks and everyone on stage looked like they were panicking because of a fire and running is all different directions.. It was a disaster.. lol

We had elevators that brought us each up in our own spots on the stage.  I thought some were never gonna make it up..LOL

I laugh about how bad it went today, but omg was it a bad night back then.. hehehe

The hud I use now vs the 7 I had to use back then, is night and day much better..

It has a button that loads all my animations right away to get the information out to all the avatars that are currently in the sim.

I click a button and  it looks like my avatar is wigging out because of how fast it loads them.. but it does it in like a few seconds..

That's half the battle..

hehehe

This is the one I use now, if I ever do  go out dancing. Which I don't do much of anymore really..

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/MetaHarpers-Choreo-HUD-5-Dancer-Edition-New-2022/16497039

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, SandorWren said:

Unfortunately, too many years of forced reading in learning institutions destroyed my love of reading. Which brings me to the question of what defines good literature. Some supposedly high level literature is so incredibly boring that is painful to read. Is it the theme, the plot, or the wording that defines it? Is "The Diary of a Country Priest" superior to "The Chrysalids", or "Rendezvous With Rama"? I was literally physically ill having to have read the former, but devoured the latter two!!!

Too big a question to answer here. But . . .

Increasingly over the past 50 or more years, literary critics and scholars have got away from the idea of "great books" or what you call "high level literature" -- although there is a debate raging once again in the public sphere about this, as a great many conservatives want to resurrect the idea of The Great Book and High Literature (almost all of which turns out to be, surprise surprise, written by dead white men).

But almost all of the lit teachers I know teach a diverse range of stuff, and not just what used to be considered "high literature." I teach graphic novels and manga alongside "classics" by Milton and Shakespeare. Hell, I have a colleague who includes hand-written Early Modern recipe books by women in some of her courses.

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with either The Chrysalids or Rendezvous with Rama. They are objectively not as well-written as, say, a poem by Milton, a play by Shakespeare, or a novel by Jane Austen, but so what? They are unquestionably "literature."

I'm sorry you had, apparently, terrible English teachers!

• Like 1

Nal-Bumrose-FSP_001.thumb.jpg.145b8abfdc6c36093017cce590cd5e66.jpg

Bumrose was once a fun sailing and flying location with an active meat market. Then it closed for 3 or 4 months. The region was there but it was a mess. Over the last year or more it has been rebuilt along with the region to the east. Now it is a pretty awesome build. Lots of nooks and crannies and hidden places. Paths, mountains, underground bunkers, airstrip and helipad, and more. Of course it is still Adult rated and loaded with toys.

• Like 11

21 hours ago, Orwar said:

Ummmm...What??? Bored???  Tabbing out while you wait for a response???