How Does Your SL Look Today?

Bagnu

It is quite a challenge to build a yard by the canal around villa Utrecht. On my first attempt - more then a year ago - the canal looked like a swimming pool!

The footpath along the canal (following the example in RL in Utrecht) is one level below street level. In RL you then have a footpath on either side of the canal at a wharf, but I don't have the space for that in SL.

With all those straight lines (and straight lines are really straight in SL!) it looks far too tight, artificial, sterile and almost claustrophobic whitout decoration.

I'm no builder myself, but what can I do to spice it up and create some atmosphere?

First, texture of an old wall. And plants along the walls. Not easy to find plants that look a bit natural in winter version! I now have a combi of dog rose (3D trees), climbing ivy winter (Mesh Plants), sweet garden grass (winter) from HPMD and delicate ivy ([DDD] ~ Dysfunctionality) in winter version. The sweet garden grass from HPMD actually belongs on the ground, but is one of the few grasses and flowers you can rotate for on a wall and not look completely distorted. Recommended to combine!

How do you provide a little atmosphere for walls in SL in winter time?

Snapshot_2081208171_006.png

Edited by archangel969
  • Like 12

I can't take credit for this pic. Cinnamon Mistwood took it while she was taking new pics for her profile when we were together. It was a quick shot, and she shared it with me. It was overexposed, but I saw a lot of potential in it, so I worked it up. I didn't sign it, because I only made the adjustments.

Cinn's pic Square2 mblues added merged and worked on.png

• Like 13
  • Confused 1

You had a great pic, and I saw a potential to make it look really nice. I spent some time working on it, and I wanted to show what you took, and what I made with it. I did the same with a few of the wedding pics when Cat and I got married, that some of my friends took. I would do the same with any pic from any friend if I saw something in it I liked, and credit them accordingly. You and I share an enjoyment in taking pictures, and we share pics. Big deal. People should never assume anything.

Edited by Bagnu
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

On 12/12/2022 at 7:21 AM, archangel969 said:

It is quite a challenge to build a yard by the canal around villa Utrecht. On my first attempt - more then a year ago - the canal looked like a swimming pool!

The footpath along the canal (following the example in RL in Utrecht) is one level below street level. In RL you then have a footpath on either side of the canal at a wharf, but I don't have the space for that in SL.

With all those straight lines (and straight lines are really straight in SL!) it looks far too tight, artificial, sterile and almost claustrophobic whitout decoration.

I'm no builder myself, but what can I do to spice it up and create some atmosphere?

First, texture of an old wall. And plants along the walls. Not easy to find plants that look a bit natural in winter version! I now have a combi of dog rose (3D trees), climbing ivy winter (Mesh Plants), sweet garden grass (winter) from HPMD and delicate ivy ([DDD] ~ Dysfunctionality) in winter version. The sweet garden grass from HPMD actually belongs on the ground, but is one of the few grasses and flowers you can rotate for on a wall and not look completely distorted. Recommended to combine!

How do you provide a little atmosphere for walls in SL in winter time?

Snapshot_2081208171_006.png

Maybe add small snow drifts in areas where they would naturally accumulate in RL? On top of the wall, on some of the tree branches, maybe some icicles dripping off the stair railing. Patches of ice on the street, boot prints, perhaps? And a festive, snowy street lamp on the corner. 

Just suggestions, though. :)

Edited by SabrinaCooke
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, SabrinaCooke said:

Maybe add small snow drifts in areas where they would naturally accumulate in RL? On top of the wall, on some of the tree branches, maybe some icicles dripping off the stair railing. Patches of ice on the street, boot prints, perhaps? And a festive, snowy street lamp on the corner. 

Many thanks, I can't get tips enough to make it better!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, SabrinaCooke said:

With snowy streetlamps! I also added a few windows to avoid the feeling looking at a 'dead wall.' The windows on the left are pure decorative, but the door and window on the right are 'real.' The door leads to the swimming pool at the basement.

But I didn't dare to look at the current prim count yet 😄

Snapshot_2081208174_016.png

Edited by archangel969
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, archangel969 said:

With snowy streetlamps! I also added a few windows to avoid the feeling looking at a 'dead wall.' The windows on the left are pure decorative, but the door and window on the right are 'real.' The door leads to the swimming pool at the basement.

That's so pretty.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, archangel969 said:

It looks great! :)

• Like 2

Here is a picture I took of Dutch estate where you can clearly see that the footpath along the canal at the yard is one level below street level.

I based that on the canals in Utrecht, my city in RL (second picture, so this is NOT Amsterdam 😉).

There are still many differences.

• In RL it is a canal in a city, in SL it is a canal around a villa in the countryside.
  • In RL the trees are not at street level but are down at yard level and there are footpaths on either side of the canal. I have tried both in my land but neither work well.

So we keep on trying! It is a work in progress.

Snapshot_2081208174_030.png

25da157a_original.jpg

Edited by archangel969
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, archangel969 said:

Here is a picture I took of Dutch estate where you can clearly see that the footpath along the canal at the yard is one level below street level.

I based that on the canals in Utrecht, my city in RL (second picture, so this is NOT Amsterdam 😉).

• In RL it is a canal in a city, in SL it is a canal around a villa in the countryside.
  • In RL the trees are not at street level but are down at yard level and there are footpaths on either side of the canal. I have tried both in my land but neither work well.

25da157a_original.jpg

That looks amazing so beautiful! ❤️❤️❤️

• Like 3

3 hours ago, archangel969 said:

25da157a_original.jpg

That is gorgeous, both worlds.

• Like 4