The United Kingdoms' Illegal breach of our Universal Human Rights

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1108 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

UK violated human rights with bulk intercepts, European rights court rules
By Reuters Staff, May 25, 2021.

LONDON, May 25 (Reuters) - The European Court of Human Rights ruled on Tuesday that the United Kingdom had breached fundamental human rights with its bulk interception of communications.

Reporting by Guy Faulconbridge; Editing by Alistair Smout

(from https://www.reuters.com/article/britain-security-ruling/uk-violated-human-rights-with-bulk-intercepts-european-rights-court-rules-idUSS8N2KO02Q)

Edited by Chroma Starlight
formatting, scope
  • Haha 1

UKUSA Map.svg

The Five Eyes (FVEY) is an intelligence alliance comprising Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the United Kingdom and the United States.[1] These countries are parties to the multilateral UKUSA Agreement, a treaty for joint cooperation in signals intelligence. The origins of the FVEY can be traced back to informal secret meetings...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Eyes

This is terrible news. Having my bulk intercepted utterly violates my human right to having my bulk move freely without interception. I don't want my communications to move one by one. I want it to all move together in bulk and free of interception.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Just now, Bree Giffen said:

This is terrible news. Having my bulk intercepted utterly violates my human right to having my bulk move freely without interception. I don't want my communications to move one by one. I want it to all move together in bulk and free of interception.

You don't get it. 

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Welcome to life.

The political forum is over on that site yonder ->

pol·i·tics
/ˈpäləˌtiks/

noun
  1. the activities associated with the governance of a country or other area, especially the debate or conflict among individuals or parties having or hoping to achieve power.
jus·tice
/ˈjəstəs/

noun
noun: justice; plural noun: justices
  1. 1.
    just behavior or treatment.
    the quality of being fair and reasonable.
    the administration of the law or authority in maintaining this.
    the personification of justice, usually a blindfolded woman holding scales and a sword.

399276401_centercountycourthouse.thumb.png.ae598977d46c6d2e42bec6db0a4449ab.png615570755_sculpturebellefontecourthouse.jpg.0dfc1d733d45330d3988b79dfff3d765.jpg
Courthouse, Centre County, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania (Bellefonte)

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

That's nice.

Point blank: I'm quite sick and tired of the political BS being bandied about here by people pretending to be some enlightened something or other.

Welcome to life. Governments do things like this often enough that - frankly - this isn't really "news" so much as "Oooh look! Someone got caught doing the thing we all know (or suspect) they're doing!"

Many use Second Life as a means to forget their troubles for a bit and the forum as a means to discuss things related to the service itself, gather news related to the service itself and other things not directly related to the real world - including heavy political discourse.

Oh sure, one can just ignore such topics, perhaps going so far as to put those who continue to drag such things across any thread they happen to be in at the time ... Eventually, doing that, a good chunk of threads will end up being just ignored post notifications.

There actually was a time when this was actively combated by the powers that be .... that needs to return.

• Like 10

1 minute ago, Solar Legion said:

Welcome to life. Governments do things like this often enough that

What kind of person seeks to normalize the act of war criminals and conspiracies to violate Universal Human Rights?

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Solar Legion said:

What kind of person willfully twists the words of another?

No need to answer that as the question is rhetorical.

Thanks for confirming a few things.

Thanks for playing? I do not care for devil's advocacy arguments made facetiously. If you make the argument, then you ought to own it, and I'll let you. 

• Haha 1

A statement of fact/reality is not an act of normalization nor is it a devil's advocacy argument - it is a statement of fact. Nothing more, noting less.

You ascribed a meaning and purpose to the statement that quite literally did not exist whatsoever.

"Thanks for playing" indeed.

• Chroma Starlight changed the title to The United Kingdoms' Illegal breach of our Universal Human Rights

UK spies violated human rights with bulk intercepts

May 25, 2021 6:17 AM EDT
By Guy Faulconbridge

LONDON (Reuters) - ...Revelations by former National Security Agency contractor Edward Snowden showed that GCHQ and the U.S. National Security Agency were sucking up vast amounts of communications from across the world, including on their own citizens.

The Strasbourg-based court ruled in a case known as "Big Brother Watch and Others vs. the United Kingdom" that Britain had breached the right to respect for private and family life communications and the right to freedom of expression with its bulk intercept regime.

The regime for obtaining communications data from service providers also violated human rights, the court said...

"This judgment confirms that the UK’s mass spying breached citizens’ rights to privacy and free expression for decades," said Silkie Carlo, director of Big Brother Watch...

Civil liberties campaigners, including Big Brother Watch and Amnesty International, had brought the case as they believed their communications had been harvested by bulk interception unnecessarily and without due process.

(Reporting by Guy Faulconbridge and Elizabeth Piper; Editing by Alistair Smout and Gareth Jones)

(from https://www.streetinsider.com/Reuters/UK+spies+violated+human+rights+with+bulk+intercepts%2C+European+rights+court+rules/18468528.html)

The Nuremberg Trials — United States Holocaust Memorial Museum

• Confused 2

Well, I'm sorry to hear that nobody here agrees with the court. I think that you are most likely mistaken if you do not believe that this illegally-gathered and redistributed information was eventually used to achieve great harm in the world.

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1108 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.