Why Did It Take So Long to Accept the Facts About Covid?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1092 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

11 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

This is horrid news.  Horrid.  It is insanity as I'd think we could continue trade amongst countries by having those people that work in the import business in PPE.  But, visits, that is insanity.  And, business can teleconference.  Oh my God.   I'm so sorry to hear this news.  

Don't be misled. Here in the UK we are still following the roadmap out of lockdown, without any delays. Currently we can have up to 6 people together indoors, not needing to be in 2 families or bubbles - anyone up to 6. And we can mix in groups of 30 outdoors. Cinemas, restaurants, pubs, etc. are open again and we are moving along very well.

To describe the Indian variant as exploding here gives the wrong impression. There are a few places where the number per 100,000 is up due to the Indian variant, and the next step out of lockdown, due on 21st June, is being questioned, but only slightly at this stage.

So it is not horrid here. It's quite the opposite. We are continuing to move forward as planned. However, we did get into this stage only 2 days ago, and it remains to be seen if this relaxation will cause too much of an upward spike in cases or not.

ETA: Here is a BBC news article about the Indian variant in the UK, posted 9 hours ago:- https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57157496

Edited by Phil Deakins

image.thumb.png.1971e6bccaa9660b8b674df4cd7b2cd3.png

narratively_ancientquarantine-16x9-1.jpg
The King Who Ordered a Quarantine to Flatten the Curve 4,000 Years Ago
Story by Carly Silver
2020-06-10

(...) According to Assyriologist Dr. Markham J. Geller of University College London, simmum, best translated as “lesion,” may refer to a contagious skin condition. Assyriologist Dr. Moudhy Al-Rashid observes that simmum could serve “as a label for multiple related illnesses, and as a metonym for such illnesses and/or their symptoms.” The Mesopotamians might not have understood “contagion” in the sense of transmission of germs, but they knew it could spread.

“It’s interesting that even though the mechanism for the spread of contagious disease was understood differently in Mari than it is today, the
fact that a disease could be contagious was recognized,” says Dr. Al-Rashid.

And the Mesopotamians also knew the way to stop the spread of the disease was by isolating the people who had it. In his correspondence, Zimri-Lim discussed how to handle sick women in his palace and how to stop them from infecting others. Saving the majority necessitated sacrificing the few, casting out those ill with the gods’ fury from their chambers or, in some cases, from the palace entirely.

(...) If the Mesopotamians did not understand the disease’s transmission in terms of germs, then how did they comprehend its spread? Presumably because they had seen it happen before. As Mesopotamian historian Edward Neufeld observed in a 1986 essay, Zimri-Lim’s instructions are “matter-of-fact” and contain no explanation, which implies the spread of such diseases — and measures to contain it — were already well-known. Just because this is the earliest reference to contagious disease doesn’t mean it was the first time such an incident was observed; in fact, far from it.

Zimri-Lim’s letters also provide the first verifiable evidence of enforced quarantine... It seems, though, that the spreading of the illness could not be easily stopped. In one letter to the king, the author wrote of the increasing number of sick people, lamenting, “I am afraid they will infect the land, all of it.”

(...) Today’s pandemic is hardly the first time humans have found ourselves in such a situation. Ancient history shows that the key to survival is quarantining, social distancing and being willing to play the waiting game.

4 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned hydroxychloroquine in this thread yet, like in the good old QAnon tradition, and as recommended by the big man in the Southern White House himself.

Of course it wont work on it's own, you need to inject sunlight into your body whilst taking hydroxychloroquine.😜

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

Don't be misled. Here in the UK we are still following the roadmap out of lockdown, without any delays. Currently we can have up to 6 people together indoors, not needing to be in 2 families or bubbles - anyone up to 6. And we can mix in groups of 30 outdoors. Cinemas, restaurants, pubs, etc. are open again and we are moving along very well.

To describe the Indian variant as exploding here gives the wrong impression. There are a few places where the number per 100,000 is up due to the Indian variant, and the next step out of lockdown, due on 21st June, is being questioned, but only slightly at this stage.

So it is not horrid here. It's quite the opposite. We are continuing to move forward as planned. However, we did get into this stage only 2 days ago, and it remains to be seen if this relaxation will cause too much of an upward spike in cases or not.

ETA: Here is a BBC news article about the Indian variant in the UK, posted 9 hours ago:- https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57157496

Oh, I was quite worried so thanks for sharing this.  The other part of COVID that is dangerous though is the stress and anxiety.  I am having some panic attacks, so I know COVID stress is real.

I think they should stop all needless international travel for at least a couple of years or until most of the world's population is vaccinated and we are near herd immunity.  Trade import/export can continue by putting the people in PPE and then wiping down the loads of trade that do come on with an antiseptic and letting them sit for awhile before handling.  It doesn't seem like it would be all that difficult to have fairly safe trading procedures.  

I think the world just carries on as a careless society in many ways, however.

12 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

The incubation period for Ebola is 2-21 days, averaging 8-10. For Covid-19, it's 2-14 days with a median of 4-5 days. (I don't know how significant average is vs median for this comparison, but I imagine it's not huge).

Covid-19 actually incubates faster, but I don't think that's a major factor.

Covid-19 is an airborne infection. Ebola requires direct close contact. It's a lot easier to spread Covid-19.

Ebola is only transmitted when symptoms are present, and only about 2.5% of the infected are asymptomatic. This means there are few asymptomatic Ebola carriers and they're not an infection concern.

About 17-20% of Covid-19 infections are asymptomatic and the virus can be spread by those people. There are a lot of Covid Marys wandering the planet.

The case-fatality rate for Covid-19 is about 2%, for Ebola it's 20-90%, depending on strain. That motivates fast and forceful response.

I am wording it wrong I just know it..

I wish we had the first covid thread, then I could go back to what I'm referencing..

There were a couple of virologists explaining  in an interview about ebola and covid.. It may have been covid being a slower mutating virus than ebola..

I can't remember now and I hate that all the good information from the first thread is lost..

6 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

I think they should stop all needless international travel for at least a couple of years or until most of the world's population is vaccinated and we are near herd immunity. 

Goodness, the lengths to which some would be willing to go to avoid systemic quarantine.

Personally, I'd like to be in Europe or Asia by this summer for an extended stay.

Edited by Chroma Starlight

14 minutes ago, Chroma Starlight said:

Goodness, the lengths to which some would be willing to go to avoid systemic quarantine.

Personally, I'd like to be in Europe or Asia by this summer for an extended stay.

People can be asymptomatic carriers at very high rates.

6 minutes ago, Chroma Starlight said:

And that's why we test and quarantine. You see?

And, what about false-negatives and the window for asymptomatic people variable also as all it takes is one person to start it up again if it's a strong enough variant.  If people have been vaccinated that's probably a little safer but it's still not fully safe.   But people want, want, want....

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

And, what about false-negatives and the window for asymptomatic people variable also as all it takes is one person to start it up again if it's a strong enough variant.

It does not spontaneously generate and it is not a retrovirus, at least not yet. The longer this thing spreads without the kind of backstop that testing and quarantining provide like none other, the more mutations there are certain to be.

Just now, Chroma Starlight said:

The thing about quarantine is you need a competent government to enforce it. Its much more complex than simply banning flights. 

New Zealand, Japan, Australia and a few others seem to have managed this well. Others not so much. See my previous post about the indian variant in the UK.

3 minutes ago, Chroma Starlight said:

It does not spontaneously generate and it is not a retrovirus, at least not yet. The longer this thing spreads without the kind of backstop that testing and quarantining provide like none other, the more mutations there are certain to be.

You know, if this quarantine were working then why are the variants spreading around?  They are not quarantining the variants with quarantine.  We had the South African to U.K. variant here in Los Angeles.  How?  It just appeared out of nowhere?

Edited by FairreLilette

6 minutes ago, AnnabelleApocalypse said:

The thing about quarantine is you need a competent government to enforce it. Its much more complex than simply banning flights. 

New Zealand, Japan, Australia and a few others seem to have managed this well. Others not so much. See my previous post about the indian variant in the UK.

No, you just need to allow the competent people to call the shots. That is why we have organizations like the WHO, in order so that we do not need an elected official to insert their layman personal political opinion at all. No legitimate human liberal democratic system would delegate medical decisions to a mindless psychotic political machine run by the spirit of slavers.

No, you just need to allow the competent people to call the shots. That's why we have organizations like the WHO, so we don't need an elected official to insert their layman and/or personal political opinion at all.

Well, yeah but then you need your political class to recognize that and let those people do their job. Same difference. 

No sane decent legitimate human liberal democratic system would delegate medical decisions to a mindless psychotic political machine run by the spirit of slavers and death cultists.

Ummmm, ok? I feel you went off the deep end just a teeny tiny bit there. lol

And you do still need a competent government to ENFORCE IT. Not to tell you what to do. That's a different issue. But to ACT on the advice of bodies like the WHO, no? Or do we also give the powers of enforcement to the WHO too?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Aethelwine said:

It seems to come from an article from a contributor to Global Research.Ca

No, it came from here:

Fact-Checking a “Fact-Checker”: A Response to HealthFeedback.org

Which was a response to this:

People have died from the coronavirus, contrary to article claiming to report pathologist’s “revelations” on COVID-19

Which was originally fact checking this:

“No one has died from the coronavirus”

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, AnnabelleApocalypse said:

And you do still need a competent government to ENFORCE IT. Not to tell you what to do. That's a different issue. But to ACT on the advice of bodies like the WHO, no? Or do we also give the powers of enforcement to the WHO too?

If the government doesn't have enough power to control what happens within its own borders, isn't it said to have become a failed government? Could it be the issue isn't control, but rather compliance of the government with its duty to the citizens whose vested authority it wields?

If the government doesn't have enough power to control what happens within its own borders, isn't it said to have become a failed government?

Power is not the same thing as competency. Not sure the point your getting at. 

EDIT - and no government 100% controls what goes on within their borders. They just present that illusion. I think the definition of a failed state is a little more complex.

Edited by AnnabelleApocalypse
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Chroma Starlight said:

No, you just need to allow the competent people to call the shots. That is why we have organizations like the WHO, in order so that we do not need an elected official to insert their layman personal political opinion at all. No legitimate human liberal democratic system would delegate medical decisions to a mindless psychotic political machine run by the spirit of slavers.

It is up to the politicians to balance health with economics and the continuing needs of the populace with with food and supplies. Leaving it to health professionals we will all die of starvation while we quarantine from a virus.

4 minutes ago, Chroma Starlight said:

To which quarantine are you referring?

The quarantine from travel you are suggesting.  The quarantine of incoming people probably from the U.K to Los Angeles.  The variant started in Africa, then it's the U.K. and then it's in Los Angeles and this is with your quarantine you are suggesting.  So, how does that quarantine stop the variants from spreading after travel to a new country?

5 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

The quarantine from travel you are suggesting.  

At what point did I ever say "travel" ? This is now a general crisis that requires a general response. Testing, quarantining, contact tracing.

4 minutes ago, Chroma Starlight said:

At what point did I ever say "travel" ? This is now a general crisis that requires a general response. Testing, quarantining, contact tracing.

You said you wanted to travel this Summer and that there are quarantines.  

Never mind.   I don't have time for this.

Edited by FairreLilette

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1092 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.