Why Did It Take So Long to Accept the Facts About Covid?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1038 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just now, Arielle Popstar said:
2 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Hmmm...shall I research Scientific matters by going to actual Scientific studies done by degreed Scientists, or shall I go to a website run by Covidiots without any formal training in the Sciences first?   It's hard to decide.

Since the website authors are anonymous, how would you have any idea of their qualifications?

Most of the website authors you've posted can be easily researched.  But with the pig de-wormer one you like to cite ,all the studies can be researched along with their authors and so we can determine the motive/qualifications of the compilers/main authors of the website.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

We best all behave since it appears someone who likes getting these threads shut down has arrived.  Usually when a pic of Trump is posted, the lock isn't far behind.

I wondered why she does as a couple of others do all the time, and laugh at (not with) posts. I'm not familiar with her, so thanks for the heads-up.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:
22 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Science when it is any good, can stand on its own and not have to rely on the reputation of its author or the one funding it. Those who look for who is the author or where it is published, are automatically biasing their viewpoint of a paper and becomes an unreliable critic. So maybe try reading the paper for what it says, and not make its validity dependent on its creator or where it is published.

There's a difference between "science" and a "paper." Science is consistent and repeatable. Any given paper may or may not mean anything, depending how the research was done and if the paper is an accurate reflection of that. 

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/08/researcher-center-epic-fraud-remains-enigma-those-who-exposed-him

I don't know how many times I've said this but it doesn't seem to sink in for some people.

A study/experiment is something to pay attention to, yes, but it simply points to the need for further research with larger or better studies. Often these initial experiments are proven invalid with improved methods for research and peer review.

4 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Perfect example of  science that couldn't stand on its own.  How many though had accepted the findings in past based on the reputation of the author or where it was published?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

The question is why did it start going back up. From what I was reading in various articles, it seemed the supply of ivermectin ran out or wound up in the hands of black market profiteers who were charging exorbitant prices for it and other therapies.

I Googled "india ivermectin production", knowing that India is the world's largest producer of the drug. Here's the first hit...
https://www.news18.com/news/india/indias-production-capacity-of-ivermectin-and-fabiflu-much-more-than-current-demand-sources-3731615.html

Production capacity is currently more than four times demand. They can't give ivermectin away.

Oops, I'm sorry. Yes they can!

https://www.medpagetoday.com/special-reports/exclusives/92644

One year ago, PharmacyChecker.com reported average US full retail pricing for Ivermectin of $5.65 per pill. They're now quoting $5.05 per pill.

The most likely explanation for the second wave of Covid-19 is the Indian government's hubristic declaration of victory over Covid-19, causing everyone to drop their guard. Couple this with reckless promotion of mass spreading events, including nation wide in-person elections, Kumbh Mela festivities and massive cricket matches and you have ample explanation for the second wave.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-56771766

More dead birds on my porch, Arielle.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 3

Just now, Luna Bliss said:

I don't know how many times I've said this but it doesn't seem to sink in for some people.

A study/experiment is something to pay attention to, yes, but it simply points to the need for further research with larger or better studies. Often these initial experiments are proven invalid with improved methods for research and peer review.

I don't think you have ever said that in response to one of my posts. Perhaps you are thinking of an Arielle on another site.

1 minute ago, Arielle Popstar said:
4 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I don't think you have ever said that in response to one of my posts. Perhaps you are thinking of an Arielle on another site.

I have, many times.

4 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:
12 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Perfect example of  science that couldn't stand on its own.  How many though had accepted the findings in past based on the reputation of the author or where it was published?

Some do accept the opinion of an authority without question -- not everyone has the skill or time to research the Science and form their own opinion.

The above is not the issue though -- the issue is whether we're better off overall accepting the opinion of people with degrees in virology and microbiology, knowing that yes, sometimes they are wrong... or if we're better off overall accepting the opinion of someone on a right-wing rag.

8 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I Googled "india ivermectin production", knowing that India is the world's largest producer of the drug. Here's the first hit...
https://www.news18.com/news/india/indias-production-capacity-of-ivermectin-and-fabiflu-much-more-than-current-demand-sources-3731615.html

Production capacity is currently more than four times demand. They can't give ivermectin away.

Oops, I'm sorry. Yes they can!

https://www.medpagetoday.com/special-reports/exclusives/92644

One year ago, PharmacyChecker.com reported average US full retail pricing for Ivermectin of $5.65 per pill. They're now quoting $5.05 per pill.

The most likely explanation for the second wave of Covid-19 is the Indian government's hubristic declaration of victory over Covid-19, causing everyone to drop their guard. Couple this with reckless promotion of mass spreading events, including nation wide in-person elections, Kumbh Mela festivities and massive cricket matches and you have ample explanation for the second wave.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-56771766

More dead birds on my porch, Arielle.

Well then maybe people stopped taking the ivermectin thinking the vaccine was going to protect them. Ie the Indian government's hubristic declaration that the vaccine would do a better job of protecting them long term. The cost of the vaccine is less in the long run then having to send everyone Ivermectin pills at 5.05 per so it would be understandable from the governments viewpoint. The only way Ivermectin is cheaper is if only the one's with symptoms are taking it, not everyone using it as a prophylaxes. 

I did like what the story said though:

He said patients will be given Ivermectin 12 mg for a period of five days as expert panels from the UK, Italy, Spain and Japan have found a statistically significant reduction in mortality, time of recovery and viral clearance in COVID-19 patients treated with this medicine.

Those birds are still alive and watching for your next attempt.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Exactly what I cited in the other thread, I believe.  It happened in my state, also.  Relax the restrictions, Covid cases rise.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

From what I was reading in various articles, it seemed the supply of ivermectin ran out or wound up in the hands of black market profiteers who were charging exorbitant prices for it and other therapies.

3 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Well then maybe people stopped taking the ivermectin thinking the vaccine was going to protect them.

Black market profiteers are charging exhorbitant prices for free medication nobody wants?

Popstar Logic, Kids!!!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:
18 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Few enough that he got caught.

Considering he was active from 1996 to 2013, Yoshihiro Sato, had a pretty good run.

OK, Arielle, we all know there are bad doctors and nurses who even kill....there is no perfection, even in those we place in positions of authority.

But are we better off OVERALL trusting educated people with degrees who specialize in medicine, despite their imperfections, or people with a political bias stating their beliefs on a right-wing rag?

Edited by Luna Bliss

Just now, Madelaine McMasters said:

Black market profiteers are charging exhorbitant prices for free medication nobody wants?

Popstar Logic, Kids!!!

Only all or nothing in your world maybe but likely in a population the size of India's, there would be a quite a variation across class and location. Not going to dig up the article on the black market profiteering but it is a thing in India.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Well then maybe people stopped taking the ivermectin thinking the vaccine was going to protect them. Ie the Indian government's hubristic declaration that the vaccine would do a better job of protecting them long term. The cost of the vaccine is less in the long run then having to send everyone Ivermectin pills at 5.05 per so it would be understandable from the governments viewpoint. The only way Ivermectin is cheaper is if only the one's with symptoms are taking it, not everyone using it as a prophylaxes. 

I did like what the story said though:

He said patients will be given Ivermectin 12 mg for a period of five days as expert panels from the UK, Italy, Spain and Japan have found a statistically significant reduction in mortality, time of recovery and viral clearance in COVID-19 patients treated with this medicine.

Those birds are still alive and watching for your next attempt.

A government official made that statement not a qualified doctor.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

OK, Arielle, we all know there are bad doctors and nurses who even kill....there is no perfection, even in those we place in positions of authority.

But are we better off OVERALL trusting educated people with degrees, despite their imperfections, or people with a political bias stating their beliefs on a right-wing rag?

I would maybe take you a tad more seriously if you didn't cast every issue into a political light.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:
8 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

But are we better off OVERALL trusting educated people with degrees, despite their imperfections, or people with a political bias stating their beliefs on a right-wing rag?

I would maybe take you a tad more seriously if you didn't cast every issue into a political light.

You are grabbing at straws and sliding into major deflective strategies now.

Even when you acknowledged the fact that we shouldn't believe one experiment validates a theory and that we need further study, you felt the need to tell me I'd never said that before -- to blame me for your lack of understanding.

Mentioning that nearly all your 'truths' come from right-wing rags is merely descriptive, yet you are blaming me for you not taking me seriously because I'm being political.

You have some kind of blaming problem...

Edited by Luna Bliss

7 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

But the article states that people were starting to push back on his research in the early 2000's, doesn't it?

And yet there was no real action on his papers until after he died in 2016 other than a few corrections beforehand when he was challenged. Right or wrong, there will be people in his field walking around with knowledge they learned from his papers until they die because they trusted the author instead of scrutinizing his work.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Even when you acknowledged the fact that we shouldn't believe one experiment validates a theory and that we need further study, you felt the need to tell me I'd never said that before -- to blame me for your lack of understanding.

Mentioning that nearly all your 'truths' come from right-wing rags is merely descriptive, yet you are blaming me for you not taking me seriously because I'm being political.

Uhm no. I have honestly never seen you make the statement you said you did. And I remember a lot more then you might think I do. I have stated on a number of occasions though that I find the majority of your posting to be more of political slant than a scientific one. Remember?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Arielle Popstar said:
7 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Expand  

Uhm no. I have honestly never seen you make the statement you said you did. And I remember a lot more then you might think I do. I have stated on a number of occasions though that I find the majority of your posting to be more of political slant than a scientific one. Remember?

I go to the Science...to research papers...to try and understand issues. While you go to right-wing rags.  So who has a political slant?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

I go to the Science...to research papers...to try and understand issues. While you go to right-wing rags.  So who has a political slant?

To you and a few others, anything not on lancet or new york times is a right wing rag. Plenty of non partisan sites out there who report on things those two are not allowed to mention.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1038 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.