Marketplace auto-log off

Caren Jewell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1106 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Another interesting note on the auto-logoff issue.  I tend to use different browsers for different Alts so that I don't have to keep logging out and in.  I logged an Alt in to her Dashboard on Sunday -- using Edge -- and she has not yet been logged out.  Those browser tabs have been mostly inactive all this time.

Filed the support ticket as requested.

Support resynced my MP.  Browser cookies/cache totally cleared of anything SL.

Logged on this morning around 6am est -> Was logged off at 1:05pm est.

Resync did not work. So this log-off problem does need to be fixed. And, there is a side effect of the resync that needs to be addressed - it turns off all notifications. I thought my notifications weren't coming through due to the MP problems/overload yesterday. When none arrived overnight, I checked to discover they had all been turned off. I turned them back on and have been receiving notifications as I normally should since then.

1:58pm est. Logged out again.

Still trying to edit listings.

I'll go back and clear all cookies again, but at this point I have very little faith that it will correct this issue for longer than 12 hours max.

Edited to add: While clearing cookies, I noticed there were 11 MP cookies and 10 secondlife.com cookies. Is that normal?

Edited by Arwen Serpente

Yes, I agree. When I am actively using it and have several tabs open (different pages of the MP for instance), it logs me out. When I just leave the browser and pages open but idle, I can go away for several hours and come back to find them still open. But...once I start working again, they start logging off again.

Weirdly, I haven't been logged off the MP since the other day. Nor did I have to log in to the dashboard when I went on there now. Curious. 

1 hour ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

session cookie is expiring, it's the only way you will be logged out.  

Yes, but it is not doing so in any logical manner.  Log in and then leave computer idle for 12 hours and not get logged out.  Log in and do periodic searches in the MP over 2-3 hours and get logged out.

7 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Yes, but it is not doing so in any logical manner.  Log in and then leave computer idle for 12 hours and not get logged out.  Log in and do periodic searches in the MP over 2-3 hours and get logged out.

oh I've noticed it too,  I think it's issuing new session cookies randomly and some of them quick expiration date/time in them and others are valid for longer.   it could be more than one web system at play for the marketplace.  but LL's url scheme does not show that, so I might watch some of the other statics for a bit and see if that's the case or not.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2021 at 3:41 PM, Keira Linden said:

Ok, if you haven't yet please do submit a support ticket with all that info so that we can start looking into the issue for you.

Hello Keira,

I did file a support ticket. Support resync'd my MP and it still did not work. I am continually, randomly logged out as I work all day long. I filed a JIRA - this is a bug. The single sign on is not working as intended and needs a fix.

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-230479

• Moderators

Hello everyone!

We are very interested in trying to get this issue resolved.

Normally we resync your account status to the Marketplace and then have the user clear their browser cache (to force clean/fresh loading of the web pages) and any Second Life cookies (so the browser sets a clean/fresh cookie on the browser), to try to resolve the issue.

This /should/ allow, as noted, a clean, fresh process without any conflicts.  

Unfortunately, as noted by comments on this thread, that process isn't happening, so we need to investigate further. 

Thank you for the Bug Report. 

I would ask that additional information be provided that should assist the Devs in their investigation. 

What browser and build are you using?  Usually found under Help - About Web Browser 

If you cleared cache and cookies, did you happen to note how long it was after you cleared them before you were logged out.  Some people mentioned about 6 hours, for instance. 

Are you getting logged out of any other Second Life web sites?  Others mentioned that they are getting logged out of the main Secondlife.com web site, but not the forums.

Thank you all for your patience and we are sorry that this is happening and causing these issues. 

Thank you Dakota.

So I decided after your post to start fresh and see how long I last (stayed logged on). This was the series of events:

Example 3 29 2021 :

Firefox Browser 87.0 (up to date)

12:05 pm est cleared all cookies dashboard, community, JIRA, support, MP, mysecondlife
12:06 logged on to dashboard; this did log me on to mysecondlife, but not MP
12:07 logged on to MP (the single log on didn't work)
12:08 logged on to Forums
Went to support and found I was already logged on
12:09 logged on to JIRA
12:11 opened tabs for MP Favorites and Best Selling Products. Started using MP search and then listing/editing new products.
12:30 logged out of MP while editing listing; also logged out of dashboard, mysecondlife
Still logged on to Forums, Support, and JIRA

So my session lasted a glorious 25 minutes.

If you go back and look at my 3/26 session, I was logged out about every 25/30 minutes.

Logged on 6am est

Log out #1 1:05 pm

Log out #2 1:32 pm

Log out #3 1:58 pm

Log out #4: 2:26pm

Edited by Arwen Serpente
added detail
  • Thanks 1

I've started adding a new comment to my Support ticket each time I find myself logged out and have to relog.  I also updated the ticket with my Chrome version and the Edge version where my alt stayed logged in for 5 straight days.  I always get logged out of both the MP and my Dashboard at the same time - while never auto logged out of the forums -- and I have been noting that in the ticket.

@Dakota Linden- Is it okay for me to continue to add the 'log out' comments to the Support ticket or should I create a JIRA ticket and put all the info there?

• 3 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1106 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.