Animating my avatar with Artbreeder and Deep Nostalgia

Bree Giffen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1168 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey all, I saw this article just recently about this website that can animate old photographs using AI and decided to run my Bree avatar through it. But, instead of just a regular SL pic, I used one that was run through Artbreeder which is another AI based website that transforms your portraits. I made a thread about Artbreeder a while back.

Step 1. Make a portrait on Artbreeder. https://www.artbreeder.com/

Step 2. Run that portrait through Deep Nostalgia. https://www.myheritage.com/deep-nostalgia

Voila!

Artbreeder DeepNostalgia Bree.gif

• Like 12

Okay, that's pretty cool. If a bit eerie. Couldn't be bothered to figure out how to get it embedded though, so, a gif of the mp4 playing from the website! 

ad4a50208197a23edcb076cff6e69a3b.gif

• Like 6

Thanks for trying it out Orwar! I have to say that these moving images look a little .. surreal. 

Anyways, I didn't embed the image from the heritage site, I converted the mp4 to a gif and uploaded it the SL forum. I shoulda used a 3rd party image site like you did. 

3 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

I have to say that these moving images look a little .. surreal.

Yes .. The movement blur in mine reminds me of older film ghosts .. I may have to exploit that.

4 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

Anyways, I didn't embed the image from the heritage site, I converted the mp4 to a gif and uploaded it the SL forum. I shoulda used a 3rd party image site like you did.

Ah. I couldn't figure out how to make an embeddable upload of an mp4 without using YouTube, and that felt like a bother. The Gyazo desktop ap is awesome for capturing quick gifs and snaps when you only want to capture a portion of your screen!

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

Hey all, I saw this article just recently about this website that can animate old photographs using AI and decided to run my Bree avatar through it. But, instead of just a regular SL pic, I used one that was run through Artbreeder which is another AI based website that transforms your portraits. I made a thread about Artbreeder a while back.

Step 1. Make a portrait on Artbreeder. https://www.artbreeder.com/

Step 2. Run that portrait through Deep Nostalgia. https://www.myheritage.com/deep-nostalgia

Voila!

Artbreeder DeepNostalgia Bree.gif

Thanks for posting. I can't wait to try it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

Couldn't get it to work on any pic i tried seems to allow only a set number of tries before it expects you to sign up for a subscription :(

I was trying to do another one and it started asking me to subscribe. I think it is two attempts per email address.

1 hour ago, Laurel Aurelia said:

How fun! I gave this a go. I just used one of my latest pictures and got a pretty cool effect without Art Breeder.

Cool animated gif:

1369455302_ezgif.com-gif-maker(1).gif.ee436e8b119206e9f55e4557ee9d7792.gif

Yours turned out really well. It made your avatar smile! 😁 I wonder why it doesn't do that for everyone. Maybe it's random.  

9 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

Yours turned out really well. It made your avatar smile! 😁 I wonder why it doesn't do that for everyone. Maybe it's random.  

I think there are several animations. I tried it on a couple of other pictures after that first one, and there wasn't a smile on most of them. I got lucky that my first one turned out okay really. The uncanny valley is strong in the Deep Nostalgia algorithm .

I didn't bother with Artbreeder when it told me that it would take up to an hour to process, so I skipped straight to the next step.

No idea how to convert it to a gif but I was disappointed. It doesn't look as good as SL animations and it seems a bit "off", especially the eye movements.

If you look on You Tube, there are some early photos which have been coloured and animated.  Probably using this software. Some famous people included from back in time, it's worth a look. Search on old photos, and it should pop up.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1168 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.