Lets create a Startup Incubator in Second Life

Wili Clip

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1151 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It sounds like it would be a good idea if it were scaled back a little to just providing a space where people who want to create or start a business in SL can meet up and talk and share ideas of what works. Once you get into the incubator thing, it sort of sounds like you'd be paying the OP to facilitate things that are already available to you. Want to create? Download Blender and Gimp and get started. Want to start a club? Go get your debit card, buy some land and make your vision. Don't know how? Go to Youtube and watch hours and hours of videos then get started.

I like the collaborative creator's commune thing, but the rest is sort of like scope creep. It probably would gain more traction if it was simpler.

• Like 3

I read over this and a lot of things came immediately to mind.

First, I think what you need to focus on is the SL businesses you currently run. You need to shore up those before you can truly be a boom to other people. You should work on your database so your users, who have afforded you quite a successful SL endeavor, are not getting ripped off. Furthermore, you should stop writing walls of text in the forum and answer the notecards and IMs from your users who are unhappy that their very expensive products do not function anymore. You should spend time putting a disclaimer on your Marketplace listings and your vendors in-world warning new users that your product is outdated and may not function properly in conjunction with some of Linden Lab's new features like paid last names.

Your database was hacked back in November, correct? You should ensure that doesn't happen again and develop a planned backup that doesn't leave your user's accounts empty of all the lindens they deposited into your buoys and earned on their poles through your fishing game - which you kept while claiming you had no way of knowing how many lindens belonged to whom. You should learn to be more humble and not liken the hack you had (which I am sorry to hear happened to you and your users) to Japan's attack on Pearl Harbor. I found that super offensive, and I am sure other people did too.

I looked over your social media accounts you've recently been heavily promoting. What I saw was a man who spends a lot of time looking down female avie's shirts, taking pictures of their under cleavage and filming their butts and posting it like it's funny. It's not.

A quick google search of your SL name and your SL business brings up not so good things.

I am sure you will see this as bullying. I see it as constructive criticism. What you are promoting here sounds lovely on paper, and I am sure you could learn a few good things from other creative minds and people, but I am not sure that you would take anything and learn from it, because you see all critique as attacks and do not value other people's time, money, opinions or their support through the purchase and use of your products.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

40 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

It sounds like it would be a good idea if it were scaled back a little to just providing a space where people who want to create or start a business in SL can meet up and talk and share ideas of what works.

That is what [SL] Business Consortium group in SL was created for. Its open for everyone to join.

As for scaling it down or making it simpler. My idea of a SL business incubator is about bigger and long established businesses in Second Life helping smaller new ones that show promise to grow into bigger ones.

In very simple words what I am directing my energy into and what I would like to see is that we create a startup mentality in within SL to make it possible to create multi million valued businesses from within SL out.

The only way for big and long established businesses who are successful in Second Life to be willing to share their know how and really help (by also connecting their communities together) is to be able to align interests and in business the only way to do that is through joint-investments.

Like they have in automobile industry (all the companies co-own each other) - they form industry clusters and help each other with transfer of knowledge and sharing technologies.

For example Silicon Valley can be seen as a giant TECH Industry cluster. It is relatively easier to for someone with a good idea and a lot of creative energy to get investment from some tech billionaire. Because there is concentration of tech billionaires in Silicon Valley. While for example for me in my own country and my small city where there are no billionaires around I could have the best idea in the world and potential but is comparatively harder for me to raise investment capital.

Industry clusters are regional concentrations of related industries. Clusters consist of companies, suppliers and service providers, as well as government agencies and other institutions that provide education, information, research and technical support to a regional economy.

In simple words I want that the most successful people in SL - the few that somehow managed to grow something bigger (and I know that there must be a lot that have a way bigger business than mine is) - step together and help each other and the new businesses who have a growth potential.

I want that we create a type Virtual Silicon Valley. It all starts with mentality of cooperation and starting up business together by co-investing and offering support for growth. Startup mentality.

I know that there is a concentration of incredible talent in Second Life from programmers to designers. But if we never create an environment where those people can realize their potential the Second Life won't become known as a virtual world where people can start and grow real companies.

I would be willing to invest together with other SL entrepreneurs in my position into a young talented small team of people with crazy idea that want to make it in SL  and grow a real company out of it. I am talking about real incorporation and real investment and shareholding.

It is hard to comprehend for some people that something started in a virtual world could become a real life company - enterprise. It is possible. If the right people come together and if there is motivation, positivity and adventurous spirit.

Andreas Maria Maximilian Freiherr von Mauchenheim genannt Bechtolsheim gave 2 guys with and idea $100,000 investment in 1998 before the two had even incorporated their company and the company name is Google.

Startup and startup mentality is all about starting something, finding people that can perform in a team and giving them a chance to create a story.

I am looking for people that are successful in SL and are not afraid to to think big and approach the world with positive, constructive mentality. I am looking for builders.

For now we gather through this SL forum post and also SL Business Consortium.

Edited by Wili Clip
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

A quick google search of your SL name and your SL business brings up not so good things.

Yes I've been blackmailed in past for money and because I didn't let myself be blackmailed they spread lies about me that
and google SEO ensured its easily found. You can read how and why at my comment on 2nd page:

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Mercedes Avon said:

...answer the notecards and IMs from your users who are unhappy that their very expensive products do not function anymore.

What are you talking about? Everything is ok with my business and there are no expensive products that do not function. My customers know not to send notecards to me and they can reach me through discord if offline or simply send me an IM (its all in my SL profile). There are also mods/CS that help our customers.  I am currently in SL as I am writing this and all my IMs are answered like always.

Edited by Wili Clip

2 minutes ago, Wili Clip said:

Yes I've been blackmailed in past for money and because I didn't let myself be blackmailed they spread lies about me that
and google SEO ensured its easily found. You can read how and why at my comment on 2nd page:

If that is truth, I am sorry that happened to you. You do seem to have a lot of blackmailers and hackers which is concerning. Why do you think you attract those types?

What about the other things I mentioned?

5 minutes ago, Wili Clip said:

Why're you quoting me? I didn't say that.

8 minutes ago, Wili Clip said:

What are you talking about? Everything is ok with my business and there are no expensive products that do not function. My customers know not to send notecards to me and they can reach me through discord if offline or simply send me an IM (its all in my SL profile). There are also mods/CS that help our customers.  I am currently in SL as I am writing this and all my IMs are answered like always

perhaps you could simply address a concern that was mentioned specifically

35 minutes ago, Mercedes Avon said:

You should spend time putting a disclaimer on your Marketplace listings and your vendors in-world warning new users that your product is outdated and may not function properly in conjunction with some of Linden Lab's new features like paid last names.

I, for one, would like clarification.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Mercedes Avon said:

answer the notecards and IMs from your users who are unhappy that their very expensive products do not function anymore.

I'm pretty sure this person is referring to the $14,000 L$ Shark magic fishing rod that suddenly stopped working when LL implemented that new name change system. And you want to charge these people 1000 - 2000L$ to make their fishing pole work again.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mercedes Avon said:

If that is truth, I am sorry that happened to you. You do seem to have a lot of blackmailers and hackers which is concerning. Why do you think you attract those types?

What about the other things I mentioned?

Read the reasons why and what for was I blackmailed.

We have survived the hack. I've restored as many things as it was possible. After hack backup plan has been implemented. Backdoor to the server was located and cleaned and I wrote a lot of code to all the systems to security enhance them. It has been a lot of work. With that hack I almost lost 10 years of my work, 10 years of well google indexed blog content that was giving our site 100 000 visitors is gone and we're not at 50 000 visitors - its ok. We survived.

Whole community was very understanding and supporting and we didn't have anyone complaining. Landowners running my systems have been extremely supportive and the number of landowners running our system has tripled since then. Everything is ok. But mostly because of amount of work that was put into and because our community is one of the biggest and resilient.

It has happened. Its been a huge blow for everyone. After we were able to survive now I feel more confident and also ready to create new system.

Yes I've used anything possible to motivate myself and my community to get us through hard times. We survived, we're much bigger and trust and confidence in our server is also much greater.

Not everything was lost (most players have kept a lot of virtual goods where most of their value was in). I've been fighting the hacker for 2 months. We had 2 hacks on 11.11 and on 13th of December. on 13 December I was much better prepared and we were able to re-roll from the backup and then in 1 week I learned everything needed to security strengthen all sites and code and located backdoor in the server and deleted it. I was keeping my community informed through all time and they were cheering me and boosting morale, helping do what I had to do to sort everything. At some point when I saw how much money the land owners were pumping into the game system it brought tears in my eyes.

After the hack I feel more confident and and more ready to scale everything up and want to make Second Life better and more successful because of them. 

I want to make multi million dollar valued businesses from within Second Life to become a reality.

Edited by Wili Clip

23 minutes ago, Darius Wilberg said:

I'm pretty sure this person is referring to the $14,000 L$ Shark magic fishing rod that suddenly stopped working when LL implemented that new name change system. And you want to charge these people 1000 - 2000L$ to make their fishing pole work again.

Yes we sending the notice to our 37 000+ members group. The 1000 L$ charge for changing values in database is the same thing as Linden Lab is charging everyone 20000 L$ for...

If someone can not pay or refuses to pay 1000 L$ for name change I do it anyway for them. The charge 1000 L$ is to try to sway people from changing their name. If 1000s of players were changing their name I'd have to be doing just that whole of my time.

It is good that for most people with 50 USD Linden Lab made it relatively expensive. So not many do it. 

I don't know currently for anyone whose product would not work. All the cases when players changed their names were sorted. If anyone has a problem with any product they can IM me and we sort it.   \O.. O/

Edited by Wili Clip

22 minutes ago, Wili Clip said:

Yes we sending the notice to our 37 000+ members group. The 1000 L$ charge for changing values in database is the same thing as Linden Lab is charging everyone 50 USD for...

If someone can not pay or refuses to pay 1000 L$ for name change I do it anyway for them. The charge 1000 L$ is to try to sway people from changing their name. If 1000s of players were changing their name I'd have to be doing just that whole of my time.

It is good that for most people with 50 USD Linden Lab made it relatively expensive. So not many do it. 

I don't know currently for anyone whose product would not work. All the cases when players changed their names were sorted. If anyone has a problem with any product they can IM me and we sort it.   \O.. O/

Perhaps reworking it once to use the avatar UUID instead would be less work?  Just a suggestion to avoid any problems in the future.  Business-wise, of course.

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Wili Clip said:

Read the reasons why and what for I was blackmailed.

We have survived the hack. I've restored as many things as it was possible. After hack backup plan has been implemented. Backdoor to the server was located and cleaned and I wrote a lot of code to all the systems to security enhance them. It has been a lot of work. With that hack I almost lost 10 years of my work, 10 years of well google indexed blog content that was giving our site 100 000 visitors is gone and we're not at 50 000 visitors - its ok. We survived.

Whole community was very understanding and supporting and we didn't have anyone complaining. Landowners running my systems have been extremely supportive and the number of landowners running our system has tripled since then. Everything is ok. But mostly because of amount of work that was put into and because our community is one of the biggest and resilient.

It has happened. Its been a huge blow for everyone. After we were able to survive now I feel more confident and also ready to create new system.

Yes I've used anything possible to motivate myself and my community to get us through hard times. We survived, we're much bigger and trust and confidence in our server is also much greater.

Not everything was lost (most players have kept a lot of virtual goods where most of their value was in). I've been fighting the hacker for 2 months. We had 2 hacks on 11.11 and on 13th of December. on 13 December I was much better prepared and we were able to re-roll from the backup and then in 1 week I learned everything needed to security strengthen all sites and code and located backdoor in the server and deleted it. I was keeping my community informed through all time and they were cheering me and boosting morale, helping do what I had to do to sort everything. At some point when I saw how much money the land owners were pumping into the game system it brought tears in my eyes.

After the hack I feel more confident and and more ready to scale everything up and want to make Second Life better and more successful because of them. 

I want to make multi million dollar valued businesses from within Second Life to become a reality.

I do feel sad about your hack. Your community is great - the players that is. I own a lot of your products and I have supported your businesses through my businesses for years. I own your buoys and have paid out tens of thousands of lindens to your fishers over the years I used them. I do sincerely hope the culprit is caught and your database is secure, and it never happens again.

With that said, I have been IM'ing you for over a week. You answered the first one by passing me a notecard talking about your hack and in which you compared your hacking to the attack on Pearl Harbor.

My expensive pole does not work. Some poles do not work at all, and I do not know if it is due to the hacking and some stuff still left over from that or from a paid name change. And I can not get you to answer my IMs and speak to me about it, so we can get it sorted. I was told by your CSR that maybe the paid name change broke it. It worked for months after I changed names (yes, I lost my rank/stats but I was ok with that), but suddenly doesn't work at all. I was sent a blog post stating I may need to pay you to fix it. I can not even get you to answer, so I know where or when to pay this fee to get it fixed. You ignore me.

I do not IM you from this account, because this is my business account  - one of a few I have. If you privately IM me here, I can give you the name of the avie with the issue, and you can do one of many things. 1 - you can super ban me from your lands because I made you mad which is your right. 2 - Ignore me in this message and do nothing because you think all is well, and I believe I am making things up. 3 - Message me privately, get more info and investigate a potential issue you may not have been fully aware of.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mercedes Avon said:

I looked over your social media accounts you've recently been heavily promoting. What I saw was a man who spends a lot of time looking down female avie's shirts, taking pictures of their under cleavage and filming their butts and posting it like it's funny. It's not.

Wait, what?????

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mercedes Avon said:

I do feel sad about your hack. Your community is great - the players that is. I own a lot of your products and I have supported your businesses through my businesses for years. I own your buoys and have paid out tens of thousands of lindens to your fishers over the years I used them. I do sincerely hope the culprit is caught and your database is secure, and it never happens again.

With that said, I have been IM'ing you for over a week. You answered the first one by passing me a notecard talking about your hack and in which you compared your hacking to the attack on Pearl Harbor.

My expensive pole does not work. Some poles do not work at all, and I do not know if it is due to the hacking and some stuff still left over from that or from a paid name change. And I can not get you to answer my IMs and speak to me about it, so we can get it sorted. I was told by your CSR that maybe the paid name change broke it. It worked for months after I changed names (yes, I lost my rank/stats but I was ok with that), but suddenly doesn't work at all. I was sent a blog post stating I may need to pay you to fix it. I can not even get you to answer, so I know where or when to pay this fee to get it fixed. You ignore me.

I do not IM you from this account, because this is my business account  - one of a few I have. If you privately IM me here, I can give you the name of the avie with the issue, and you can do one of many things. 1 - you can super ban me from your lands because I made you mad which is your right. 2 - Ignore me in this message and do nothing because you think all is well, and I believe I am making things up. 3 - Message me privately, get more info and investigate a potential issue you may not have been fully aware of.

I just tried to IM you now but you appear offline.
27c9eb77e595771c8b453d148fb97a4e.png

Simply IM me next time you are online in SL and let me know the type of buoys you had and will send you replacements. I think I sent you an offline message asking about that but we didn't manage to meet each other online the next time. Also offline messages most often don't even get delivered. So just IM me and we sort all.

Thank you for supporting the community for all those years.

\O.. O/

Edited by Wili Clip
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wili Clip said:

Tried to IM you now but you appear offline. Simply IM me next time you are online in SL and let me know the type of buoys you had and will send you replacements. I think I sent you an offline message asking about that but we didn't manage to meet each other online the next time. Also offline messages most often don't even get delivered. So just IM me and we sort all

Thank you for supporting the community for all those years.

\O.. O/

Thank you. I will try again when I am in world next. I hope you take some of the other things I said to heart and work on those. I appreciate this kind reply.

12 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

12 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Wait, what?????

O. O

You mean Instagram?

Few years ago I was learning to do SL photography and was even thinking of setting up an art gallery. I was also considering starting erotic photography actually. Is there something wrong with that?

I no longer take photographs in SL and I always asked the subjects of my photography if I may take a picture of them and they agreed and liked the pictures I made for them.

No I didn't end up making nude / erotic photography in SL but many in Second Life do that and post on Flicker and there is nothing wrong with it. Do you see it as something wrong with that?

Edited by Wili Clip

1 minute ago, Wili Clip said:

Is there something wrong with that?

No, not generally. But it depends upon context. And the permission of those whose pics you've published, which may not be a legal requirement, or necessitated by the ToS, but is certainly ethical practice. I'll take your word for it that these women agreed to you posting these.

You are suggesting you thought about getting into "erotic art" -- with respect, I have both studied art, and am a photographer in SL, and these ain't really "art" by any very recognizable definition. They are small resolution, amateurish shots of butts and boobs, and all taken, moreover, at an event associated with your business.

How do you suppose it would go over if a RL business held an event, the the CEO ran around taking pics of boobs? Sorry, in RL I'd think twice about wanting to do business with someone whose social media accounts were packed with pics of half naked women's breasts and behinds.

You've got a right to your own particular turn ons. I have a right to question your sense of judgement for publishing them, particularly in association with your business.

What this suggests to me is that Fish Hunt is all about ogling women.

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1151 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.