Cringe binge

Rat Luv

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1233 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 minutes ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

I bought one of these years and years ago, love it. The most I ever have to do now is add one of those thin, flexible square rubber grippy sheets to hold the jar itself, can open anything from large bottles to wine bottles with screw caps:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CO256G/?tag=cookspot1-20

I think other companies make this design, but what I love is how I can crank down the teeth and then just turn the handle, instead of having to squeeze and turn and a bunch of stuff at once. :)

I had a conversation about the jar-opening thing a while ago with another friend, part of the (joking) point being that jar lids were an integral function of Patriarchy, designed to keep women in the thrall of men.

So, in that context, tools like this are . . . feminist?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, CaerolleClaudel said:

To Scylla: Sadly, was not joking. Was hoping to make Rat Luv feel a little better.

Arguably I don't know you well enough to contradict you very convincingly, I suppose.

I can, however, say that in my interactions with you, here and in-world, nothing about you has ever seemed even remotely "stupid" or "embarrassing."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I had a conversation about the jar-opening thing a while ago with another friend, part of the (joking) point being that jar lids were an integral function of Patriarchy, designed to keep women in the thrall of men.

Well, enabling, for sure. But in my house, a necessity, as there are no men to press into service for brute strength, and never will be. Same for fixing sh-t, either falls to me or some extremely expensive tradesperson.

Edited by CaerolleClaudel
typos as usual
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Arguably I don't know you well enough to contradict you very convincingly, I suppose.

I can, however, say that in my interactions with you, here and in-world, nothing about you has ever seemed even remotely "stupid" or "embarrassing."

Trust me, am a effed-up sh-tshow. And this year has just made it all worse. I know I have been through worse times, but not from so many different things at once. The horrors just never stop coming.

• Sad 2

4 minutes ago, Fauve Aeon said:

ITT @CaerolleClaudelreveals the secret: The True Meaning of Life! 😉

Sadly, I don't even know the meaning of my own life, far less life in general. Trust me, if I have the answer, it is a pretty effed up question.

ETA: "Just a effed-up girl trying to make it through life with as little emotional pain and damage as possible. And hoping to have a little fun along the way."

Edited by CaerolleClaudel
  • Like 1

Same, @CaerolleClaudelI wasn’t making light of the predicament,  more commiserating  and riffing off of the ‘all life is suffering’ and dear (deity of choice) can the happenings of this year please end with it - vibe/theme. I hope your 2021 can be brighter, mine and everyone else’s too. 🥰

Edited by Fauve Aeon
Commiserating
  • Like 4

Just now, Fauve Aeon said:

Same, @CaerolleClaudelI wasn’t making light of the predicament,  more co-misreading and riffing off of the ‘all life is suffering’ and dear (deity of choice) can the happenings of this year please end with it - vibe/theme. I hope your 2021 can be brighter, mine and everyone else’s too. 🥰

Thanks, I certainly didn't take offense, just being open and honest. I once had a boss who said, "If someone wants to be successful, they should follow you around and do the opposite." And honestly, they were right. I just always want to do full disclosure and warn people off following anything I say or do. :)

58 minutes ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

I once had a boss who said, "If someone wants to be successful, they should follow you around and do the opposite."

Oh I wouldn't take any notice of that, most bosses talk rubbish, they read it in some management manual and use it to cover up the fact they're scared because they've taken on too much work they can't do. You're alright :)

Edited by Rat Luv

41 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

But some bosses are uptight because they're scared of being exposed for not being very good. You're alright :)

Thanks, you are sweet, but honestly there were right. I work at a big multinational, and never fit in there.

I had another boss tell me once, "Carol, we are all unique, but with you it is much easier to tell."

As I heard that, I thought, "Oh, cool!" Then I realized her expression and tone were annoyance and exasperation, and that is most certainly was *not* a complement. But she too was right. I have been different my whole life, and never really fit in anywhere. Just how it is. So in the broader scope of things, your little mix-up was maybe not such a big deal. :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

Thanks, you are sweet, but honestly there were right. I work at a big multinational, and never fit in there.

I had another boss tell me once, "Carol, we are all unique, but with you it is much easier to tell."

As I heard that, I thought, "Oh, cool!" Then I realized her expression and tone were annoyance and exasperation, and that is most certainly was *not* a complement. But she too was right. I have been different my whole life, and never really fit in anywhere. Just how it is. So in the broader scope of things, your little mix-up was maybe not such a big deal. :)

Your bosses just sound BORING xD

I would take it as a complement! You should only worry if they say "Gabba gabba we accept you, we accept you, one of us" :o 

There are probably people in your company who feel the same as you, but they are just better at hiding it...

15193573_10211207264480104_141255567360482062_n.jpg.59f770daba0c7d23ab37a0a0e857ac54.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I have severe arthritis in my hands which has gotten progressively worse the past year to the point that I am almost totally helpless.  So I've been collecting tools for this for some time now.  Jars have always been tough, but now i find that little bottle caps like on a water bottle are my new nemesis. Just making the crab pincer motion with thumb and forefinger hurts.

Anyway, it's nice to know my tools are feminist.

Also, @Phil Deakins, it's nice to see you back again and you totally cracked me up with your head through the bed story.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 12/17/2020 at 8:10 AM, Phil Deakins said:

I looked around and there I was - head and shoulders up through a skybox floor. But not just any skybox floor, because he was there too, with his girlfriend, both stark naked

It's for this reason that, when I visited my tenants to work on stuff, I'd hang around outside the door and holler "MAINTENANCE!"

You should've done the same.  It would've made the moment complete.

• Haha 4

21 hours ago, kali Wylder said:

I have severe arthritis in my hands which has gotten progressively worse the past year to the point that I am almost totally helpless.  So I've been collecting tools for this for some time now.  Jars have always been tough, but now i find that little bottle caps like on a water bottle are my new nemesis. Just making the crab pincer motion with thumb and forefinger hurts.

Anyway, it's nice to know my tools are feminist.

Well, I was sort of joking about the "feminist tools" thing, really. The world is full of women who are apparently very capable of opening jars. I just appear not to be one of them. Some jars anyway.

I'm terribly sorry, Kali, for your arthritis. The REAL value of tools is, as you say, to improve the quality of our lives, whether it is that we have smallish hands, or physical ailments. I'm glad, or hopeful, that you've found some to improve yours. It's amazing how much the apparently little things can cast a shadow: it's nice if they, at least, can be taken care of somewhat.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1233 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.