Casper is Down

Gunner Grun

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1263 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

In order to minimize disruption during an outage, it's really important that you follow these steps:

- DO NOT RESET ANYTHING.

- DO NOT RE-REZ ANYTHING.

- DO NOT DELETE ANYTHING.

Our system has off-grid backup servers which will catch and store AND RECOVER transactions even during a global outage like this - if you reset, re-rez, or delete your vendors or rental units, they will no longer be able to accept any transactions.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Holger Gilruth said:

haha and everytime he tell you this can never be happen. thats the problem when you trust such a person who ban people after buy the product just because they tell him whats not working

in all the years I've been using casper, this is the first time I've heard this one.   But fear not. I think casper knows how to handle a down time situation and I believe casper would never stoop this low into banning anyone,  caspers not out to make enemies.   and I have zero affiliation with casper, I just know how having web based hosting of any kind goes,  It's what I do for a living and have since 98, not everything is perfect.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

in all the years I've been using casper, this is the first time I've heard this one.   But fear not. I think casper knows how to handle a down time situation and I believe casper would never stoop this low into banning anyone,  caspers not out to make enemies.   and I have zero affiliation with casper, I just know how having web based hosting of any kind goes,  It's what I do for a living and have since 98, not everything is perfect.

So, no information at all that is how a responsible sales person run a company. Yes thats really interesting and that you know what he do without beeing affiliated is much more interesting. Of course you do that for living, dont know how often i have heard this lies allready ;)

1 hour ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

With a MAJOR percentage of sellers in SL using Caspervend you can pretty much consider it as a monopoly/duopoly/whatever. You'd think a company that controls such a major portion of SL's economy would have at least 1 developer + 1 support rep on-call on a weekend, like a normal company? Where's the official statement on why it's not working, and the progress being made (if any) to resolve it? Where's the "sorry something went wrong but we have no idea what, please refrain from making any purchases" statement? I have no idea about how many transactions are done hourly in SL, but I think AT LEAST thousands of buyers are pissed off atm with not receiving their products, and if they didn't know it's a Caspervend issue, they'd be pissed off at the seller instead unintentionally.

No matter how much your sugarcoat it, this is absolute poor customer relations on Caspervend's part. Even small time stores with just 1 designer and no staff at least put out a group message or a banner in their store that something is not working.

Edited by MelodicRain
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, MelodicRain said:

With a MAJOR percentage of sellers in SL using Caspervend you can pretty much consider it as a monopoly/duopoly/whatever. You'd think a company that controls such a major portion of SL's economy would have at least 1 developer + 1 support rep on-call on a weekend, like a normal company? Where's the official statement on why it's not working, and the progress being made (if any) to resolve it? Where's the "sorry something went wrong but we have no idea what, please refrain from making any purchases" statement? I have no idea about how many transactions are done hourly in SL, but I think AT LEAST thousands of buyers are pissed off atm with not receiving their products, and if they didn't know it's a Caspervend issue, they'd be pissed off at the seller instead unintentionally.

No matter how much your sugarcoat it, this is absolute poor PR on Caspervend's part. Even small time stores with just 1 designer and no staff at least put out a group message or a banner in their store that something is not working.

I ranted a few minutes before u did, just in another thread :)
Garnet did explain and tell, the CasperTech Usergroup got informed about the current status, and that group would contain 15K users.
Why should i even know of such a group? 
Im just a simple customer, waiting for my things to be delivered, or at least to be notified about on known channels like the casper website, where i get directed to when i make a redelivery anyway.

But what do we know? Maybe its a one man business, and he is entangled in a bunch of network cables. Good luck Casper :)

1 hour ago, Holger Gilruth said:

So, no information at all that is how a responsible sales person run a company. Yes thats really interesting and that you know what he do without beeing affiliated is much more interesting. Of course you do that for living, dont know how often i have heard this lies allready ;)

I have zero reason to lie, if my real life information was not on my product or my sites, I would show you exactly what I do for a living,  but with how you are reacting to me,  you have shown me all I need to see.  Goodbye,  I will not be replying to you again. 

• Like 1

Most of my groups have sent out a message regarding vendors being down.  Some have shut down their stores until it's resolved.  I'm sorry but buying some virtual goods is not a top priority for me at the moment.  The stores, will of course, lose money today but my being able to buy a new pair of shoes will not impact my overall well-being.  Priorities people ffs.

Edited by RowanMinx
  • Thanks 1

Just an update ss of 11:20 SLT -  at our shop in Badger, our vendors are mostly back up (they were being reset when the problems started and showed "Offline" so all but one is showing the display pictures now) but the menu doesn't respond, nor do the drop boxes.

Edit: Admin page is still down as well. 

Edited by Vicious Hollow

1 hour ago, MelodicRain said:

No matter how much your sugarcoat it, this is absolute poor customer relations on Caspervend's part. Even small time stores with just 1 designer and no staff at least put out a group message or a banner in their store that something is not working.

We have been keeping people updated for the last several hours. Not just in a closed group but also on Facebook and in our open group.

There's a network outage at the data centre, we're waiting on a tech to fix - please see group notices

Please see https://www.facebook.com/CasperTechUK/posts/1485645984963689

and / (or have an alt) or join  the no-chat open join Announcements group secondlife:///app/group/4eef3ca3-943e-642e-0935-d651aa1b91b6/about

Apologies for the inconvenience

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Resi Pfeffer said:

I ranted a few minutes before u did, just in another thread :)
Garnet did explain and tell, the CasperTech Usergroup got informed about the current status, and that group would contain 15K users.
Why should i even know of such a group? 
Im just a simple customer, waiting for my things to be delivered, or at least to be notified about on known channels like the casper website, where i get directed to when i make a redelivery anyway.

But what do we know? Maybe its a one man business, and he is entangled in a bunch of network cables. Good luck Casper :)

As we couldn't even log into their website, we couldn't get info there.  He did send out a notice to HIS customers in HIS group.  It was then the responsibility of each store to inform their customers.  If there was a break down in the chain, it would seem to be the store owners who weren't reading their notices from Casper or couldn't do any notices to THEIR customers.  The hundreds of thousands of consumers in SL are certainly not going to get a notice from Casper.  That would be ridiculous to even think possible or even his concern.  

Make a note of what you've purchased and when it's all settled, send it to the appropriate store.  Try not to rant and rave too much when it takes some time for them to sort through ALL of the redeliveries they'll have to make.

Seriously people, get a grip.  If anyone should be upset, it's ONLY the merchants and THEY should have sent out notices to lessen the impact.  

• Like 5

At least some merchants did sent out notices, and I know the word has gotten passed around to a few other inworld groups.

The facebook post (linked above by @Jules Catlyn ) will have the latest updates, so you won't need to be inworld to see what's going on (and for those who don't log in to facebook, it IS publically viewable, as well.)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Gunner Grun said:

My problem Rowan is that you cant join the customer support group anymore. I've only been using there system for about a year and half and I wish I was one of those 15,000 I might have known sooner.

He should have a joinable group of course.  Seems like it might be a good idea to maybe add them on Facebook if you have one for your store and turn on notifications.  Might help next time because you know there will always be a next time.

37 minutes ago, Gunner Grun said:

My problem Rowan is that you cant join the customer support group anymore. I've only been using there system for about a year and half and I wish I was one of those 15,000 I might have known sooner.

If you are an owner you can still join the group by filing a ticket and we also have an open-to-join group for notices. You can always IM me inworld for details

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RowanMinx said:

As we couldn't even log into their website, we couldn't get info there.  He did send out a notice to HIS customers in HIS group.  It was then the responsibility of each store to inform their customers.  If there was a break down in the chain, it would seem to be the store owners who weren't reading their notices from Casper or couldn't do any notices to THEIR customers.  The hundreds of thousands of consumers in SL are certainly not going to get a notice from Casper.  That would be ridiculous to even think possible or even his concern.  

Make a note of what you've purchased and when it's all settled, send it to the appropriate store.  Try not to rant and rave too much when it takes some time for them to sort through ALL of the redeliveries they'll have to make.

Seriously people, get a grip.  If anyone should be upset, it's ONLY the merchants and THEY should have sent out notices to lessen the impact.  

You do realize literally 90% of store groups nowadays cost $ to join right? And most people don't join them? I'm not going to pay 500L for each of the 50+ stores I visit just to get occasional notices. Since this is a payment incident it should've been elevated to LL for them to send out a gridwide notice, or at least have them put it on the SL status page.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, MelodicRain said:

You do realize literally 90% of store groups nowadays cost $ to join right? And most people don't join them? I'm not going to pay 500L for each of the 50+ stores I visit just to get occasional notices. Since this is a payment incident it should've been elevated to LL for them to send out a gridwide notice, or at least have them put it on the SL status page.

Gosh no, I didn't realize.(sarcasm font)  A lot have subscribers in place of group joiners because they know people have a limited number of groups.  As it's not LL product that failed, they're under no obligation to inform anyone of anything.  Would it have been nice if they did?  Sure but the fact remains, not buying shoes isn't really going to impact anyone's life in the slightest and all things purchased will eventually be delivered.

56545249.jpg

From Casper Warden, sent as a notice

PROVISIONALLY CLEAR
I've completed the system health checks.

All services are up and operating smoothly.

However, one of our MongoDB nodes has corrupted so we're running with only two nodes while the data re-replicates.

Our off-grid backup transaction processor is currently working at restoring all missing transactions. This may take some time, please be patient.

This has been a painful day for all of us, but I am very happy that we've been able to restore service much sooner than our previous ETA.

More info soon.

1 hour ago, RowanMinx said:

Gosh no, I didn't realize.(sarcasm font)  A lot have subscribers in place of group joiners because they know people have a limited number of groups.  As it's not LL product that failed, they're under no obligation to inform anyone of anything.  Would it have been nice if they did?  Sure but the fact remains, not buying shoes isn't really going to impact anyone's life in the slightest and all things purchased will eventually be delivered.

56545249.jpg

I like how you treat "not buying something" and "buying something but the item didn't deliver" as the same thing. That alone is enough to prove how clueless you are about how important payments and transactions are for ANYTHING, from websites to games, cause you sound like the type of person who thinks a UI bug like misaligned text is about the same priority as a frickin payment server tanking.

"Things purchased will eventually be delivered"? Lol. You think 90% of residents in SL read forums on a regular basis and has any idea what's going on with Caspervend? You think most people even know what Caspervend is? If you buy something on Shopify and you didn't get your product, who do you think the average, tech illiterate netizen is gonna blame? The merchant or the backend payment system?

Subscribers? Lol. Anyone who shops regularly knows how useless those things are, since the moment you get literally more than 10 notices while offline, they get jammed and won't go through. You think the average person in SL is gonna spend time whenever they log in to check subscriber notice history?

"LL has no obligation to inform anyone of anything". First of all re-read my sentence cause you clearly didn't. I said Caspervend should inform LL and request for them to send out a notice. No obligation? Oh sure 1/3 of your economy just went poof this morning, I'm sure LL couldn't care less. In order to have such a massive vendor system working you think Caspervend doesn't have a partnership with some LL staff?

Maybe you should actually get familiar with how the average user uses SL before attempting to sound like a smartass.

Edited by MelodicRain
  • Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1263 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.