Casper is Down

Gunner Grun

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1255 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I use Casper since about 10 years. In all those years you can count issues like this easily with one hand. When something is not working, you get informations in groups very fast and they also update regulary whats going on. Also, all payments in the meanwhile are catched and stuff will be send out as soon as the system is back to work, the money is not stopping to flow, and the "economy" isn't hit or something. Some ppl just have to wait a bit till stuff is deleivered. So, i think some of you in here are on a hatetrain against Casper, but what you say has nothing to do with the reality.

• Like 3

On 11/8/2020 at 5:35 PM, Jules Catlyn said:

If you are an owner you can still join the group by filing a ticket and we also have an open-to-join group for notices. You can always IM me inworld for details

@Jules Catlyn

Unrelated - I am still awaiting a response from my ticket on 3rd Oct 2020 (no response to me).  I raised a second ticket  today but will give some leeway in response time after you get the system issues resolved.  But would be grateful if you can get back to me when able.

Would you also add me to the group, I have been using the system for years and also cannot join it as it's non public - thanks in advance!

Related - Also for merchants still sorting through this as a heads up- there are still transactions not showing on Caspervend that were valid purchases.   I would highly recommend you do a download of your L% Transaction history and do a reconciliation.  I have found multiple customer purchases "missing" in the caspervend system but payment was made and present in my L$ Transaction History.  It sounds like they still have a way to go to recover all the missing transactions during the outage at this stage.    I have manually delivered to those customer, but my hope is Caspervend add to their database what went missing so customers have an ability for redeliveries in the future or to receive product upgrades.

I should add if they can't be recovered - you can do a manual upload of the missing ones directly so there is a workaround too.

Edited by Charlotte Bartlett
Added work around
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Jules Catlyn said:

@Charlotte Bartlett

Tickets should have been answered unless it is a very intricate question. For joining the group: Add that as a question to your existing ticket.  If you have missing transactions, put that in the ticket as well.

It was for another missing transaction before the outage so not intricate.   I will add more to my tickets.   But from memory caspervend struggles with missing transactions when they occur  in normal operation too.  Quite a few merchants have had that issue (discussed in our closed merchant Facebook group).  We now don’t rely on the history in caspervend for that reason and do manual reconciliations monthly.

I will pop the group add request to the outstanding tickets, thanks so much!

Edited by Charlotte Bartlett
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Charlotte Bartlett said:

Quite a few merchants have had that issue (discussed in our closed merchant Facebook group).  We now don’t rely on the history in caspervend for that reason and do manual reconciliations monthly.

I have been in the Caspertech group for over 5 years and the number of times it has been mentioned there can be counted on one hand. It is fine that people make these claims in a closed Facebook group but it doesnt appear to be a wide spread issue. It would be more helpful if they report such cases otherwise we cannot investigate. Until then i doubt the claim.

Edited by Jules Catlyn
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Charlotte Bartlett said:

But from memory caspervend struggles with missing transactions when they occur  in normal operation too. 

We receive perhaps one report of a missing transaction every six months or so, and it's usually related to a heavily busy event region which is lagged to hell.

Even during an outage, our vendors always provide transaction links which we can use to trace a transaction from end to end. No other system has this kind of tracking or accountability.

The outage was horrible, and we do sincerely apologise to everybody affected. But this isn't a regular occurrence.

Edited by Casper Warden
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

15 minutes ago, Casper Warden said:

We receive perhaps one report of a missing transaction every six months or so, and it's usually related to a heavily busy event region which is lagged to hell.

Even during an outage, our vendors always provide transaction links which we can use to trace a transaction from end to end. No other system has this kind of tracking or accountability.

The outage was horrible, and we do sincerely apologise to everybody affected. But this isn't a regular occurrence.

Hi Casper

Yes I know the outage was a rare one, glad to see it got resolved.
Just as merchants we do see missing transactions, so we implemented on our side a reconciliation to L$ so if there are missed ones we simply manually can upload directly.   Not always events (as we use the special event script) but can be for any reason including direct SL issues.  

Without the reconciliation we implemented we were reliant on customers to flag it.  Normally they only realized when they tried to redeliver something and it didn't show.  Best practice for merchants is always to reconcile to any third party application as whilst issues may be rare, they do occur (as many merchants have discussed directly) and we always want to ensure our customers are fully supported/protected at our end and don't miss out on upgrades/redelivery capabilities.

Looking forward to a response to my tickets from 3rd Oct etc on that missing transaction to see if you can trace it as that is one we could not locate anywhere and it occurred before the reconciliations were implemented.  The user did state they were mass banned by Caspervend (obviously we can't substantiate that and we don't get involved in third party disputes).

I have popped in the new ticket also the group request plus will pop in the missing transactions from the outage (if not yet resolved).  Either way we can manually upload them if required.

Thanks again and hope your week goes more smoothly herein.

16 minutes ago, Charlotte Bartlett said:

Looking forward to a response to my tickets from 3rd Oct etc on that missing transaction to see if you can trace it as that is one we could not locate anywhere and it occurred before the reconciliations were implemented.  The user did state they were mass banned by Caspervend (obviously we can't substantiate that and we don't get involved in third party disputes).

I have popped in the new ticket also the group request plus will pop in the missing transactions from the outage (if not yet resolved).  Either way we can manually upload them if required.

Thanks again and hope your week goes more smoothly herein.

We had no ticket from you on the 3rd October

Kind Regards,
Norsk
(CasperTech Support)

Edited by Norsk Himmel
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Charlotte Bartlett said:

Just as merchants we do see missing transactions

It would be appreciated if you would let us know when this occurs (and provide details). We have so many backup systems in place to prevent this, it should be extremely rare.

I'm certain that if this was happening regularly to other merchants we would hear more about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Norsk Himmel said:

We had no ticket from you on the 3rd October

Kind Regards,
Norsk
(CasperTech Support)

Hi - I can't post chat logs here obviously - but I can confirm on 3 October 2020, at 13.48 your CasperHelp account reacted to my account and generated the direct link for the ticket to be raised and responded to me and I submitted it.  If that ticket has gone by they wayside not a problem, you'll see me raising the request again yesterday (I also screenshot the ticket for safety).  Hope that helps you take a look at it. :)

Perhaps easier for you to respond to me via the ticket system as it would great to get an ETA when you will have had a chance to investigate the outstanding support questions.

Thanks so much!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Charlotte Bartlett said:

Hi - I can't post chat logs here obviously - but I can confirm on 3 October 2020, at 13.48 your CasperHelp account reacted to my account and generated the direct link for the ticket to be raised and responded to me and I submitted it.  If that ticket has gone by they wayside not a problem, you'll see me raising the request again yesterday (I also screenshot the ticket for safety).  Hope that helps you take a look at it. :)

Perhaps easier for you to respond to me via the ticket system as it would great to get an ETA when you will have had a chance to investigate the outstanding support questions.

Thanks so much!

The bot gives you a link to file a ticket, as with your previous tickets.

You however did not actually submit a ticket. We are not mind readers.

Kind Regards,
Norsk
(CasperTech Support)

• Confused 2

I would also like to mention - 

While any amount of downtime is as unacceptable to us as it is to you, we have had less cumulative downtime in the last few years than Marketplace has.

In addition, our total transaction volume during the outage period was about 80% of normal (once missing transactions had been recovered by our off-grid emergency backup systems), so really given the circumstances I'm quite happy that we were still able to service the majority of requests, albeit after a significant delay. 

Of course, some did still get lost. Most of these are related to requests coming from heavily loaded event regions, which are troublesome at the best of times due to networking becoming very unreliable when a region is packed.

But really, I feel that recovering 80% of transactions during a major outage is quite an achievement.

However, some good news :D

It seems that regions which have been uplifted to AWS are processing requests much faster and have significantly more reliable HTTP performance. I haven't been able to assess how this affects busy events yet (if at all), but in general, communications are definitely improving.

Edited by Casper Warden
  • Like 2

I use boxes and set the contents for sale the old fashioned way in my inworld store on the wall.

I also use casper vendor a 2 prim vendor of ALL my designs so people can easily gift and use that system if they want to as casper is highly recognizable.

But if the system goes down people can still shop at my store the old fashioned 0 script way.

(I know the downfall of doing it this way is I loose some handy data collecting, update and redelivery casper provides.)

Edited by JUSTUS Palianta

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1255 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.