Default avatar light-skinned? This could change ASAP :)

KasiaAleksa

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1284 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

33 minutes ago, Han Held said:

Which was the case up until when....2007? 2008? Are you counting flexi hair, or only mesh hair. Because Mesh hair wasn't a thing until 2011 or so -which is 8 years after SL opened. 

Windlight is the renderer; meaning the engine that gives SL its' look. I feel safe in assuming that it's from before your time.  

It's fine to be a mid-bie and not an oldbie, it's even ok to be a newbie (but not a noob). 

Solar Legion's right.

Are you saying in 2007 and before the only way to have an avatar was to make your own, you couldn't buy anything?

And, I'm not speaking about mesh hair.  There was no word of mesh when I was first here.  Flexi hair.  It was called flexi hair period.  I bought it at Damselfly and the owner/creator of Damselfly has been here almost 17 years.  I will have to send a nc to see when they opened for business, as I would like to know. 

Are you saying pre 2007 you all had to make hair from these tools only:?   You couldn't buy other professionally made hair pre 2007?  You had to make it like below?

Screenshot (127).png

Edited by FairreLilette

9 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Are you saying pre 2007 you all had to make hair from these tools only:?   You couldn't buy other professionally made hair pre 2007?  You had to make it like below?

That's why I brought up flexi hair -to get you to clarify what you meant. Between flexi and mesh, one existed pre-windlight (viewer 1.18 and before), one didn't. 

You said nothing about buying -that's a non-sequitur since people have been able to buy things since like what -2003, probably? After they replaced the prim tax? (I'll be honest, I'm not clear when the economy was put in place; but I'm pretty sure folks were buying and selling clothing, hair, etc by 2004, at the latest. I bought hair and tattoos during my 2005 trial).

What you said was

I would never have stayed if avatars looked like the ones you can make with the SL built-in tools of making your own skin and hair 

There's nothing in there about buying or selling. 

If you're talking about 2007, cool. 4 years after SL opened. Solid midbie territory. 

Now we're getting somewhere.

Edited by Han Held

4 minutes ago, Han Held said:

That's why I brought up flexi hair -to get you to clarify what you meant. Between flexi and mesh, one existed pre-windlight (viewer 1.18 and before), one didn't. 

(for the folks playing at home -yes, I am trying to pretend that sculpty hair never happened ;))

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Han Held said:

You said nothing about buying -that's a non-sequitur since people have been able to buy things since like what -2003, probably?

Yes, I did too...it's on Page 3 of this thread.  I was talking about people personally making their own avatars and how awful they are - see my photos in this thread. 

Quote from me on Page 3 of this thread:

"No, not the sliders.  There are tools where you can make your own hair, skin, clothes, etc and not have to buy anything.  Those look terrible.  I don't think you know of what tools I'm talking about but I'm not talking about the sliders at all.  I could make one today and show you..."  (from Page 3)

(which I then put up pictures).  I think you misunderstood what I was saying.  I was talking about having to make your own avatar from the system tools as opposed to buying stuff BECAUSE the bought stuff looked way better than the photo Ceka showed and that's when I said those look like the ones you can make yourself...which was to say as opposed to the one's you could buy then.  And, then I showed pictures of one's we can make ourselves.  Making things ourselves...how is that buying something if we make it ourself?

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

(which I did with pictures).  I think you misunderstood what I was saying.

I might be. The part that threw me off was when you said "the built in sl tools". To me that would include anything you do with prims, though thinking about it I am technically wrong.

I'm wrong in that you apply scupltmaps to prims -but you don't (usually) create them inworld.  Flexi is created inworld, but -as you clarified; you don't make them with the *avatar tools*. 

[edit]Basically I focused on "created inworld", when it looks like you may be speaking more specifically than that

Edited by Han Held

11 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

It could be worse..

Remember the good ole days when we all thought we were so Hawt?

hehehe

Sl_history_website_2002.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

This is the photo I commented about "making our own avatars".  And I meant making our own, no buying.  The tools are all there to make the above kind.  The ones you/we/I could BUY way back in the early days were way better than these above.   These are what I was talking about not the bought ones.  There is no detail to these skins as you can see and the hair is horrid - the hair you can make yourself, no buying. 

And, then, Solar comes along and says that's all we could have as in no other choices. 

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, FairreLilette said:

This is the photo I commented about "making our own avatars".  And I meant making our own, no buying.  The tools are all there to make the above kind.  The ones you/we/I could BUY way back in the early days were way better than these above.   These are what I was talking about not the bought ones.  There is no detail to these skins as you can see and the hair is horrid - the hair you can make yourself, no buying. 

And, then, Solar comes along and says that's all we could have as in no other choices. 

It's probably because there was a time when there were no other choices other than what you could make with a prim..

That post was mainly for humor in the situation. I guess that kinda back fired..

hehehe

I came in 2008. The Lab started A-B testing or talking about it after that to see what keeps the most people. They may have been doing A-B testing sooner. But, I didn't see anything about in SL or the SL blogosphere pre-2008.

That A-B testing of the signup process lead to the loss of last names. That is one of those cases where Lindens not understanding SL and its residents lead to a mistake. Stats are stats. But how we see them can be misleading. However the signup process is a good place is good place for A-B testing.

You can assume that too many people were dropping out of the signup process when having to select from many choices of avatar. Thus that choice point as removed and placed in a later part of the induction process. If more people make it farther into the sign up process then you can expect the auto-avatar-choice to remain.

Without signing up a bunch of times we can't know what avatars are being used in the signup process. Are dark skinned avatars used in proportion to US demographics? We don't know.

More questions/clicks in the signup reduces the number making it through the process. So, there is no way for the Lindens to get racial info for assigning avatar color. They have to make a choice blindly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Han Held said:

If you're talking about 2007, cool. 4 years after SL opened. Solid midbie territory

I was here pre-2007 because I said Antique Artistry was established in 2007 and their work was superb for the time and low prim.  I will never forget those 3 prim Tiffany Lamps I had of theirs.  Astonishing work for the day and 3 prims.  To have any kind of candelabra, it was all alpha only prior to Antique Artistry like a photo stuck on a prim with planes to have a candelabra and there were no antiques prior to Antique Artistry, maybe some caricature stuff but nothing like Antique Artistry - they were trend setters and none could match their work.

I'd say my midbie time, which was my 2nd time in SL, was when physics and mesh clothing just started (and noticed I said mesh clothing, not mesh hair, not mesh anything else, just clothing).

I was here about a year, maybe a year and a half before when avatar physics and mesh clothing was introduced for my 2nd time and consider this my midbie time.   I am now on my third time in SL.

So, I do disagree about a midbie...but is it important? 

However, I did signal for the topic to get back on topic by thanking Sassy for the reminder. 

So, hopefully the topic can carry on......

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

So, I do disagree about a midbie...but is it important? 

It was, until we moved past that part of the conversation -but which you went back to for some reason I'm not really grokking. 

I think I've said everything I have to say -by all means, resume topic. Whatever that may be at this point (I think we're approaching the lolcats part of the thread -or would be if this was vv1)

MMMmmmmm I really lack me some a that thar porge!

Minds me uh the time mah cuzin went intah one them thar comers.. a full week we were sittin in the hospital.. All I could think the whole time, sides about mah cuzin was, gettin back home and eatin some of grams good ole porge she'd whip up ever mornin..

Dangit all, talked myself right smack intah hungry agin.

PORRIDGE-FRUITS.gif&f=1&nofb=1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1284 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.