Faces

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1091 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

11 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

This one is of Mitch Charron, a friend and the builder of the pretty amazing Great War sim, Scapa Flow.

Mitch-Oils-Forum.thumb.png.55333c93ef0f925bbdd78c34d430cbea.png

I know this one. The Louvre in Paris reported it as stolen.  Just kidding. An absolutely fantastic job.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Doc Carling said:

I know this one. The Louvre in Paris reported it as stolen.  Just kidding. An absolutely fantastic job.

22 minutes ago, Eddy Vortex said:

I really like this one. It looks like a real painting you'd find in a popular museum.

Thank you, both! 🙂

Mitch sort of specializes in the first couple of decades of the 20th century, so he seemed a really ideal subject for an experiment in playing with SL portraiture. My model, sort of, was Augustus John, an early 20th-century Welsh painter. His best known painting is one of Lawrence of Arabia . . .

220px-Augustus_John_-_TE_Lawrence.jpg

but I have another of his, of the Marchesa  Casati hung up in my little SL boathouse home.

AGO.43145-cropped.jpg?itok=xVxEihVs

Anyway, it was fun to do! I am glad you liked it! I want to play around with more styles like this, and maybe venture into the Modernists.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Doc Carling said:

May I ask what graphic software you are using to achieve this painting-style effect?

Oh, I use an older version of Photoshop.

My basic approach is to do this in stages -- and there are four distinct versions of this pic lead to the final one. I first of all "cleaned up" the pic, then turned it into a high quality photo. Then I processed it using a combination of tools and filters to get a "painted" look. And then finally I fine-tuned that look, using masks and other tools to produce the final product. So, for instance, if you look at oil painting from the period, there is a tendency for the painting to be "rougher" and less well-defined around the margins of the painting's subject of focus, and finer and better defined at the focus -- it's a way of drawing the viewer's attention in. So I replicated that idea (which is probably reasonably clear from my pic) by using masks and tools like sharpen to reduce the roughness of the painting on the actual figure. It's a long process, but actually a lot of fun.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Doc Carling said:

I'm not quite sure what's the meaning of this one.

"Stay within the lines" (or "colour within the lines," or other variations) is an English idiomatic phrase that refers, literally, to children crayoning in colouring books, but metaphorically to the idea of remaining rule-bound and, by implication, traditional.

So, questioning that means questioning "the rules" -- about appearance, makeup, aesthetics, art, gender . . . whatever. Clearly, in this pic, I haven't coloured "within the lines."

I'm also playing a bit with the idea of "lines" because there are two projected onto my face, a red one and a black one.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

"Stay within the lines" (or "colour within the lines," or other variations) is an English idiomatic phrase that refers, literally, to children crayoning in colouring books, but metaphorically to the idea of remaining rule-bound and, by implication, traditional.

So, questioning that means questioning "the rules" -- about appearance, makeup, aesthetics, art, gender . . . whatever. Clearly, in this pic, I haven't coloured "within the lines."

I'm also playing a bit with the idea of "lines" because there are two projected onto my face, a red one and a black one.

I understand now. Well, but aren't you (someone) on the safe side, when you stay within the lines?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Doc Carling said:

I understand now. Well, but aren't you (someone) on the safe side, when you stay within the lines?

Yep! That's why I used a projector in this pic to "put on my makeup" -- so that it would extend beyond my face and on to the wall behind. That is, it's "outside the lines." (My friend and island-mate @Eva Knoller joked that I looked as though my makeup had been applied by a toddler. And she's not wrong!)

19 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Yep! That's why I used a projector in this pic to "put on my makeup" -- so that it would extend beyond my face and on to the wall behind. That is, it's "outside the lines." (My friend and island-mate @Eva Knoller joked that I looked as though my makeup had been applied by a toddler. And she's not wrong!)

No. Reminds me rather on a mug shot. Sorry. lol Perhaps we should open a thread "Mug shots". Could be funny. My replay was meant in a more philosophical sense.  One can live a life questioning the rules or choose the safe side and stay within the lines.  Right?

Edited by Doc Carling

25 minutes ago, Doc Carling said:

Reminds me rather on a mug shot.

Yeah, it does a bit, now that you mention it. 🙂

25 minutes ago, Doc Carling said:

One can live a life questioning the rules or choose the safe side and stay within the lines.  Right?

Yes. I'm not into breaking rules for the sake of breaking them: rules exist, in theory at least, to help us live together in a mutually respectful way. But questioning them? Yes, always, absolutely. Even the good ones need to be constantly interrogated to ensure that they are still good.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

Mugshots... we could take that different ways... but this is the idea I think is meant from way back in my youth...

3401370747_9d958aee69_o.jpg

That's a cool one. I have also one or two from forumer times somewhere on my hd. Though in those days I had a weaker graphic card and monitor.Could be fun to do some new ones. In a separate thread perhaps, if more people are interested.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1091 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.