• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just cropped this one down so that it would play nicer on Flickr.

An old skin from LAQ that is not fully BOM compatible as evidenced by a few imperfections. Someday I'll upgrade.

Posted Images

For the ones which want to know what the German words "Entartung" and "Freiheit" mean in English. Entartung = Degeneration. Freiheit = Freedom.  Well, the German 30s were wild times. And Berlin was indeed a Babylon of each kind of sin, morally degeneration, crime and politcal intriueges. While on the streets the Nazis were already marching, people partied like there were no tomorrow. There is a German tv series that pictures these times perfectly. It calls Babylon Berlin. Trailers you find on Youtube.

This is the title song. Zu Asche, zu Staub - from the tv series Babylon Berlin (english sub-titles).

Edited by Doc Carling
  • Thanks 1
17 hours ago, Doc Carling said:

For the ones which want to know what the German words "Entartung" and "Freiheit" mean in English. Entartung = Degeneration. Freiheit = Freedom.  Well, the German 30s were wild times. And Berlin was indeed a Babylon of each kind of sin, morally degeneration, crime and politcal intriueges. While on the streets the Nazis were already marching, people partied like there were no tomorrow. There is a German tv series that pictures these times perfectly. It calls Babylon Berlin. Trailers you find on Youtube.

This is the title song. Zu Asche, zu Staub - from the tv series Babylon Berlin (english sub-titles).

I hadn't myself made the connection directly with Babylon Berlin (which is a fabulous series) in this picture, although I did, I'm pretty sure, have it in mind for another, older photo of me wearing the same suit I posted almost exactly 2 years ago:

The Jazz Singer

In this pic, I was, I suppose, specifically referencing the Nazi campaign in the late 20s and 30s against "degenerate" Modernist art (Entartete Kunst) -- they even staged an exhibit attacking it in 1937.

Modernism, whether "degenerate" or not, did represent an astonishing post-war breaking of the boundaries of art, literature, and music. It brought jazz into the mainstream, and liberated the creativity of everyone from Virginia Woolf and James Joyce to Pablo Picasso. And, for women, it represented at least a brief moment of freedom from the social constraints imposed upon their gender.

• Like 4