Tour Pods in Bellisseria

Nika Talaj

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1387 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

At the end of this thread (now locked) discussing why mainland tour pods had stopped operating, @Patch Linden said:

Howdy everyone!

I have returned with an update!  😁  We have just met with Yavanna and I am super excited to say that we will be working more closely together going forward on not only helping to support the pod tours system as it currently exists, but also expanding it in to other areas it does not reach today.   I'm sure that as expansions and other fun add-ons unfold, there will be more updates on those as they happen.  For the immediate future, the pod tour system should be retuning to normal functionality.

Thanks to all for the feedback!

From context, it seems reasonable to assume that one of the expansion areas would be Bellisseria.

[For those unfamiliar with the pod tour system, see the pic on the OP of the (now locked) thread I point to.  These pods are used to tour large events like SL birthdays and Burning Man.  They also run endlessly along certain routes on mainland.]

The feedback in that thread seems mostly positive about the pod tours in general.  I'm fine with them coming, if people like the tours.  I am glad to hear that, if they  are to be more widely deployed, LL will be helping to support Yavanna's system.  I have always had two issues with them, which I hope can be addressed by a few adjustments to the system.

1.  They run too often, and are nearly always empty.  Personally, I would prefer if they were rezzed on demand,  perhaps by rezzers positioned at rez zones along pod routes.  If they are to circulate automatically, I would VERY MUCH prefer that they run much less often than they had done on mainland.  I don't get a friendly vibe from seeing them robotically circulating all the time; I feel like Big Brother is watching.  To me, the message of endlessly patrolling robot vehicles is that this land is not mine, it is LL's, and they would prefer that I stick to approved routes to traverse it.

2.  They  look like Jetson taxis.  I've been exploring on horseback on mainland when one zoomed by (or through) me , and I just gave up and TP'd home.  It made me feel silly to be poking around in a pretty countryside on my horse, and get bowled over by an empty robot vehicle.  For me, that would go for ALL of camper and cabin Bellisseria.  I hope theme-specific pods will be used, if/when pods come to Belli.

• Like 3

I would like it if Yavanna could somehow update the pods to something more modern. The "egg" worked fine in 2006 or so, but it's just a prim and not a very good looking one either. So maybe someone could create something more modern and give it to Yavanna for free, because I doubt that operating these pods is causing her any kind of revenue.

• Like 3

The Yavascripts are already in Bellisseria operating the Water Taxi near the Fairgrounds.  If I remember, there's no way to have them on the roads in Bellisseria (at the time they were first suggested and looked into by the LDPW)The Yavascripts are already in Bellisseria operating the Water Taxi near the Fairgrounds.  If I remember, there's no way to have them on the roads in Bellisseria (at the time they were first suggested and looked into by the LDPW)  I'll edit & add the link if I can find it.  I think was in SSP thread, perhaps.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

I would like it if Yavanna could somehow update the pods to something more modern. The "egg" worked fine in 2006 or so, but it's just a prim and not a very good looking one either. So maybe someone could create something more modern and give it to Yavanna for free, because I doubt that operating these pods is causing her any kind of revenue.

Agreed.

I think if the pods were 'region appropriate vehicle designs' then they would be nice to see. Like how you can ride a trolley in part of Bay City.

But the egg is just a tad too 2006 for Bellisseria.

I also happen to feel that they'd be a lot more interesting to see in Bellisseria than in mainland. It's sort of a 'lazy way' of touring the neighborhoods.

As long as there's just a few of them and they're scripted to stick to a specific route (unlike those random vehicles that used to roam mainland) - they could be low enough in lag to be unnoticed.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, BJoyful said:

If I remember, there's no way to have them on the roads in Bellisseria (at the time they were first suggested and looked into by the LDPW)

That's odd.   If these scripts are actually for vehicles using physics,  I suppose there could be some problem , but ... if they are physical, having them run all the time would be terribly laggy, i would think.

• Like 1

Rez on demand sounds good. And better looking pods.

I would like Hot air balloon rezzers.There could be tour routes that follows the coast, 50 m out and 50 m up from the water level? Or is that too low, would it feel like spying? That was why I think the balloons should not fly over houses or houseboats. Only over water.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

That's odd.   If these scripts are actually for vehicles using physics,  I suppose there could be some problem , but ... if they are physical, having them run all the time would be terribly laggy, i would think.

They are phantom, but idk about the physics.  They actually use a surprisingly small amount of resources but perhaps there was another reason they were deemed not possible to run in Bellisseria.  They scripts can be purchased on MP (so purchasers can make their own pod routes... but these might be only for use on private land.

It would be nice to see automatic trains across the railway network on the Bellisseria continent.

The railway seems pretty quiet at the moment. Within the next few months or so the train tracks will be built over on the log homes continent on the east side. 

There could be live map boards at each train station. A small selection of trains could work to rez. That would be great fun. 

• Like 6

I like rez on demand, as I already said. But on the other side: People have to know that they can rez, what rez is, where to find it.

Have not many discovered pods "by accident"? A pod goes by, it is something that moves in static Second Life, so it is noticed. Next time, maybe they try to click on it and they suddenly sit there. And the pod take them on a ride, so they learn: "These things take me around so I can see new places".

I think I would prefer both rez on demand and automatic ones. That delete themselves after the round. The automatic pods should not be rezzed often. 4 in an hour?

• Like 2

I like rez on demand, as I already said. But on the other side: People have to know that they can rez, what rez is, where to find it.

Have not many discovered pods "by accident"? A pod goes by, it is something that moves in static Second Life, so it is noticed. Next time, maybe they try to click on it and they suddenly sit there. And the pod take them on a ride, so they learn: "These things take me around so I can see new places".

I think I would prefer both rez on demand and automatic ones. That delete themselves after the round. The automatic pods should not be rezzed often. 4 in an hour?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BJoyful said:

They are phantom, but idk about the physics.  They actually use a surprisingly small amount of resources but perhaps there was another reason they were deemed not possible to run in Bellisseria.  They scripts can be purchased on MP (so purchasers can make their own pod routes... but these might be only for use on private land.

Thank you, the scripts are here.  It is a very full-featured system, with the option to use either Keyframed or physical motion.  If the mainland pods seem to be phantom, they are probably using Keyframed motion, which is VERY low-lag.   KFM vehicles will go right through obstructing objects, but will collide with land or avatars.  Recovering from that can be tricky, from a scripting perspective.  But the land in Belli never changes, so I have no clue what the problem would be.  I have used my own KFM tour system (mostly over water) in Belli between a couple of far-flung properties we had, and encountered no particular trouble with region crossings etc..  Perhaps it's something about the roads in Belli?

Her system accommodates rez-on-demand, and you can use any object as the vehicle.  The pods of course are tiny LI, which helps with region crossings.  She also offers a boat (rowboat?  I didn't go look), balloon, or cable car.

If automatic tours are used, I'd say no more often than twice an hour.  Remember, once rezzed they travel their route so are visible for a long time. 

Belli homes face RIGHT onto the streets, unlike most mainland properties.  I wouldn't want to live on a road where a (nearly always empty) tour vehicle goes by every 15 minutes.  Kinda like living on a bus route RL.  OTOH, If they were just on demand, I'd generally be really happy to see one, because it would probably have someone in it whom I could greet!

Edited by Nika Talaj
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

Her system accommodates rez-on-demand, and you can use any object as the vehicle.  The pods of course are tiny LI, which helps with region crossings.  She also offers a boat (rowboat?  I didn't go look), balloon, or cable car.

One of the tours goes from western Corsica south across the sea to northern Nautilus Continents ..and the pods themselves change to terrain appropriate vehicles while the riders remain still sitting!  I've not ridden this Tour since the new Region Crossing developments... but now I really think I need to do that today! :D  It was a wonderful long tour, and never crashed while we rode even before the region crossing improvements, although we did some interesting 'maneuvers' over a few of the Regions Crossings, lol  Even then, I was impressed how well the pods did carrying 2 passengers.  Now I imagine it will be a lot smoother since the Whoosh! news !

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

If automatic tours are used, I'd say no more often than twice an hour.  Remember, once rezzed they travel their route so are visible for a long time. 

Belli homes face RIGHT onto the streets, unlike most mainland properties.  I wouldn't want to live on a road where a (nearly always empty) tour vehicle goes by every 15 minutes.  Kinda like living on a bus route RL.  OTOH, If they were just on demand, I'd generally be really happy to see one, because it would probably have someone in it whom I could greet!

That is a good point. It is a lot of water regions in Bellisseria. Would it be the same with a balloon ride that is out over the water? When you live in a houseboat or have a house by the sea.

How close is too close?

• Like 1

Just now, BJoyful said:

One of the tours goes from western Corsica south across the sea to northern Nautilus Continents ..and the pods themselves change to terrain appropriate vehicles while the riders remain still sitting!  I've not ridden this Tour since the new Region Crossing developments... but now I really think I need to do that today! :D  It was a wonderful long tour, and never crashed while we rode even before the region crossing improvements, although we did some interesting 'maneuvers' over a few of the Regions Crossings, lol  Even then, I was impressed how well the pods did carrying 2 passengers.  Now I imagine it will be a lot smoother since the Whoosh! news !

Yes! I remember that ride! So cool if a tour in Bellisseria could go by air, then down to a railroad and follow that, then a boat back to start. With change between vehicles.

I believe some parts of the railroad is not so close to houses as the roads are.

That would be great marketing, but it would be even more demand for Bellisseria homes...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BJoyful said:

Interesting.  You know, it just struck me that I don't think Belli roads have object entry on.  I know the train tracks don't.  That would be a problem for KFM.  SL vehicles are exempt from object entry limitations, but KFM vehicles cannot have physics enabled, so they are not truly 'vehicles'.  They are more like moving chairs.  Very low lag, but cannot go in places where object entry is not permitted.  I did it over water, and like the Fairgrounds ferry, had no problem.

Physics is wonderful; SL's physics engine automagically  smooths out all motion for you.  KFM tours can seem jerky, because while there is a calculated smoothing between hitting waypoints, there are no vehicle-specific dynamics.  Your KFM boat doesn't heel unless you specifically position it to!  But physics is costly to SL's simulators.

• Like 2

I hope they can find a way to make it so ♥  The Balloon Tour idea sounds great also!  There is a small tour which departs the SS Galaxy and it would be lovely to have that one extended if it's possible to do.  Great for taking pictures in a balloon also.  The views are just wonderful!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

They  look like Jetson taxis.  I've been exploring on horseback on mainland when one zoomed by (or through) me , and I just gave up and TP'd home.  It made me feel silly to be poking around in a pretty countryside on my horse, and get bowled over by an empty robot vehicle.  For me, that would go for ALL of camper and cabin Bellisseria.  I hope theme-specific pods will be used, if/when pods come to Belli.

Maybe a tandem bicycle model or a double side-by-side bicycle or tricycle design would work for the camper/seaside areas?

Edited by BJoyful
missed words

• Moderators

Greetings, All!

This thread is now locked

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Community_Participation_Guidelines

Abuse of Moderation or Moderators: Please honor our moderation process and the decisions that come out of it; they are being made in order to provide you with a productive environment for conversations about Second Life. We prohibit abuse of our moderation process, including the following:

• Posts that discuss or re-post material that has been removed or locked by a moderator
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1387 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.